Top Shelf Aquatics

Rizakaniza's Cadlights 39g Pro Build Thread

rizakaniza

rizakaniza
i've been experiencing a little frustration with that myself, lately. my problem isn't so much placement as it is working with glue/epoxy that doesn't want to stick or is too hard to use without breaking frags (which i did this past weekend when trying to epoxy a purple digitata in place.

when you say "perfect placement," do you mean you're having trouble figuring out where the right place is to put it for flow/light, or just aesthetically?

more along the lines of aesthetics. The glue I picked up from the MAX Expo really works well. I have been using the glue/putty/glue method and it works great as long as you don't mind having to scrub putty off you hands afterwards.

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply
more along the lines of aesthetics. The glue I picked up from the MAX Expo really works well. I have been using the glue/putty/glue method and it works great as long as you don't mind having to scrub putty off you hands afterwards.

hm.. i've had no luck with glue-putty-glue. my best efforts have been just using glue. i'm using the tunze "coralfix" epoxy, and i don't think i'd buy it again. i read something recently about a new epoxy that Premium Aquatics is carrying that seems pretty neat -- less viscous (less like modeling clay, more like silly putty).

• 4 weeks later...
rizakaniza

Quick update: Dendro's are looking nice and healthy. No sign of flatworms. Blue tang looking wonderful. All fish getting along great. Still no sign of the perpetrating clicker! Hitchhiking crab still in exile. Hopefully getting new camera soon and will post pics.

• 1 month later...

I've been pretty silent for a while, because school and work has been keeping me so busy. Over the last few weeks I've been so busy that I didn't keep up with my water changes and experienced not only an algae breakout (cyano + GHA), but also a re-emergence of flatworms.

About two days ago I decided to do a 50% watyer change as well as another 50% water change on Monday. I know it's kinda overkill, but I wanna get on top of this nutrient issue. I am surprised that this has even occurred considering I am running GFO in a reactor as well as aggressive skimming.

I will also be purchasing the Nano-Reef Bubble Magus Skimmer fairly soon. I know that it simply works better and can only help the tank stay healthier.

Lastly, after much research, I have decided to order a Melanurus Wrasse to help me contain my flatworm problem. I like that they don't get stuck in PH's like the Nudi's. Also, they are gorgeous and interesting fish.

As well as that, I will be ordering some new Actinic bulbs which I am very overdue on.

Lastly, a few weeks ago while doing some maintanence, my Dendro frag fell off the frag plug it came on. I managed to get it glued to some LR without incurring any damage.

Today I bought some Nitrate sponge, goggles & razors (Zoas), and a replacement Emerald Crab that I named Chompers! Chompers is acclimating right now. Maybe tomorrow afternoon I will be attaching my zoas to their permanent spot on my LR. I got real lazy and left them on their frag rocks since April...

Guess what I just bought today? That's right, a Melanurus Wrasse! Got it from Vivid Aquariums up in Canoga Park, so I will be making a nice long trip tomorrow... Although, a long trip sure beats paying $20-30 for shipping!

Guess what I just bought today? That's right, a Melanurus Wrasse! Got it from Vivid Aquariums up in Canoga Park, so I will be making a nice long trip tomorrow... Although, a long trip sure beats paying $20-30 for shipping!

let's see a pic!

Please excuse the blandness of my camera, but here are some pics of the new livestock.

Chompers the Crab

P7190143.JPG

Psycho-delic blue version!!!

P7190145.JPG

And the new Hoeven's Wrasse (Melanurus)

P7220149.JPG

P7220150.JPG

P7220152.JPG

He is the most chill fish in the tank. When I put him in I expected him to bury himself in the sand for 2 days, but he started going around the tank picking at little niblets of goodies. Some of his tank mates are a little bothered by his presence. Most notably was the Blue Tang. If he goes within a certain area of the tank the Tang gets very excited and either tries to nip at him or thrash him with his spines...never seen a fish do that before... I imagine that before long they'll all get along fine. I also wanted to mention that I picked up 5 nassarius and 5 astrea snails while I was at the store. We'll see how they clean up. :)

• 9 months later...
xerophyte_nyc

LOL! I just began reading this thread - your FTS looks almost like mine! Except that I actually have fish :-)

I am still in aquascape mode, no life yet. My tank build is in my sig below.

Are you happy now! ;)

Salt_n_Water.JPG

:ninja:

xerophyte_nyc
I had a question about these pro-versions. Since they have a sump and overflow, what is the noise level like?

When I filled mine with water for a test run, I hardly heard any noise. But that was just a trial for a few hours without a skimmer, rock or any mods. But then again, my return line was bent and the flow was restricted so things will most likely change once I have it set up properly.

I had a question about these pro-versions. Since they have a sump and overflow, what is the noise level like?

YMMV, from intolerably loud to whisper quiet.

lots of tricks to help it.

Archived