Coral Vue Hydros

Rizakaniza's Cadlights 39g Pro Build Thread

rizakaniza

In my experience, LFSs don't give good trade in value. Try to sell them to your reef club members, or put an ad up here and on RC :) Living in LA, you shouldn't have a problem finding someone who would buy them for close to retail, I think.

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alright, I decided to trade some Chaeto for credit at my LFS. And for those of you who have been incessantly encouraging it :P I finally purchased my first fish. Can anyone guess what it is?

Okay, so I thought I would put up some long overdue pictures of what I've been up to...

I had to get rid of some of my Chaeto, because it seriously outgrew my sump:

PB230120.JPG

PB230119.JPG

PB230128.JPG

PB230129.JPG

Then I recently discovered some new creatures in my tank that I have yet to identify (with the exclusion of the 2 Chitons):

First, here is the mystery crab that I'm pretty sure I'll need to "trade" with someone:

PC010191.JPG

PC010192.JPG

Next, here is a mystery snail like creature. I found 2 in the display and one in the sump:

PB230142.JPG

...Otherwise everything is looking good!

where's the fish!? :rant::D

that's a lot of chaeto. this different fixture really grows it, doesn't it? i think my chaeto has doubled in size in about a week.

Well, I already need to remove Chaeto from my sump again. It also spread into the return pump section of the sump and is overgrowing that as well. I run my lights for a 24hr periods with a day or two of no lights at all from time to time. Anyone got an idea of what type of crab that is? Also, I think I found a spaghetti worm two days ago. Creep looking...

Also, what does everyone use to clean their glass? I have one of those algae scrapers, but I'm fearful that in time it will scratch the glass...

Well, I already need to remove Chaeto from my sump again. It also spread into the return pump section of the sump and is overgrowing that as well. I run my lights for a 24hr periods with a day or two of no lights at all from time to time. Anyone got an idea of what type of crab that is? Also, I think I found a spaghetti worm two days ago. Creep looking...

Also, what does everyone use to clean their glass? I have one of those algae scrapers, but I'm fearful that in time it will scratch the glass...

i like the concept of running the fuge light off-cycle with the display lights. that will slow down your chaeto growth if that is your desire.

as far as algae scrapers, Jerome at Nimble Nano (nimblenano.com or PM CJerome) sold me an XXL version of the product. I definitely like it. it cleans the glass well and even gets the curved corners. and, much more reasonably priced than like the Piranha Algae Magnet/etc.

PB230142.JPG

question- doesn't that look like grape caulerpa mixed in there?

if so... tsk, tsk, california resident!

i like the concept of running the fuge light off-cycle with the display lights. that will slow down your chaeto growth if that is your desire.

as far as algae scrapers, Jerome at Nimble Nano (nimblenano.com or PM CJerome) sold me an XXL version of the product. I definitely like it. it cleans the glass well and even gets the curved corners. and, much more reasonably priced than like the Piranha Algae Magnet/etc.

question- doesn't that look like grape caulerpa mixed in there?

if so... tsk, tsk, california resident!

Nahh, I don't mind the Chaeto supergrowth, because I know it can't really grow unless it has the nutrients to do so. That tells me it's really doing it's job. SInce it just grows incessantly, I'm probably going to start tossing some of it once a week. Not worth the hassle to try and trade it all the time. As far as it being Grape Caulerpa or not, I don't know...I got it from my LFS.

How much was your algae scraper?

Just wanted to be sure after I found the crab dead...

Salinity: 1.026

PH: 8.2

Ammonia: 0 ppm

Nitrite: 0 ppm

Nitrate: 0 ppm

I just found a living hitchhiker crab....The body I found and discarded did not look like a molt at all, because it was completely intact...possibly I had two in the tank...???

Okay, okay...so here is a long overdue inventory of the main characters in my Display...

First up is "Hitch" the evergrowing hitchhiker crab

PC070001.JPG

...not to sure, but he's probably not reef safe...let me know if your interested in a trade...

PC070002.JPG

Then we have our only fish at the moment whom my wife named Melanie...

PC070003.JPG

PC070001%20(2).JPG

PC070002%20(2).JPG

PC070004.JPG

PC070008.JPG

PC070009.JPG

...and last, but not least, is chompers the ginormous Emerald Crab...

PC070003%20(2).JPG

PC070005.JPG

...and I just thought I drop in a few pics of all the coraline growth happening on the PH's

PC070006.JPG

PC070007.JPG

Deleted User 6

I use a razor blade to clean my glass. it's glass. good luck scratching it.

also, crab molts usually look remarkably like the real crab. I'd say you saw a molt.

neat fish -- looks like my royal gramma!

for future pictures, i vote more tripod, less flash -- i'm not getting to see your colors!

Here's some FTS's. Keep in mind my camera sucks and the pics do not do any justice to the true colors.

PC090001.JPG

PC090002.JPG

PC090003.JPG

PC090004.JPG

PC090005.JPG

PC090006.JPG

PC090007.JPG

PC090008.JPG

PC090009.JPG

PC090010.JPG

Archived