Cultivated Reef

Rizakaniza's Cadlights 39g Pro Build Thread

rizakaniza

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What's going on with your tank, Riz?

I've got some strange orange/brownish algae growth on a section of my sand. I have been meaning to upload some pics. I noticed that my cabinet hardware has rusted quit a bit. My hitchhiker crab has grown to almost twice the size of my full-grown emerald crab. I cannot seem to keep Chaeto from getting into my return pump chamber. It is a constant hassle removing it. It has been growing like crazy since I installed the better light. I wanted to note that I have not done a water change in 4 months. Also, my PH's are nearly completely covered in coralline.

I've got some strange orange/brownish algae growth on a section of my sand. I have been meaning to upload some pics. I noticed that my cabinet hardware has rusted quit a bit. My hitchhiker crab has grown to almost twice the size of my full-grown emerald crab. I cannot seem to keep Chaeto from getting into my return pump chamber. It is a constant hassle removing it. It has been growing like crazy since I installed the better light. I wanted to note that I have not done a water change in 4 months. Also, my PH's are nearly completely covered in coralline.

everyone's cabinet hinges are rusting. Eddie said you can get replacements from Home Depot. Maybe they could be painted with rustoleum before being installed next time.

Chaeto is pretty prolific with that fuge light upgrade, isn't it? I've got the same thing going, though I've found that since switching over to the Tunze 1073.020 return pump, it hasn't been anywhere near as bad (I guess slower flow through the sump drags less chaeto along with it).

re: orange/brownish algae, i'm no expert, and I haven't seen a picture of what you're talking about, but I wonder if that could be related to not doing a water change in 4 months? :P how are your nitrates/phosphates?

everyone's cabinet hinges are rusting. Eddie said you can get replacements from Home Depot. Maybe they could be painted with rustoleum before being installed next time.

Chaeto is pretty prolific with that fuge light upgrade, isn't it? I've got the same thing going, though I've found that since switching over to the Tunze 1073.020 return pump, it hasn't been anywhere near as bad (I guess slower flow through the sump drags less chaeto along with it).

re: orange/brownish algae, i'm no expert, and I haven't seen a picture of what you're talking about, but I wonder if that could be related to not doing a water change in 4 months? :P how are your nitrates/phosphates?

Last time I checked params it looked perfect...I am wondering, though, if I should try a different testing kit. The reason why I haven't done any water changes is because I have heard of people who never do them. That's why I let my chaeto run wild. I figure the trace elements are added through the ATO, so I wasn't very worried about that and I want to eventually begin dosing two-part (once I start testing for those params). ...I know...I know...I'm a bit of a maverick ;)

Last time I checked params it looked perfect...I am wondering, though, if I should try a different testing kit. The reason why I haven't done any water changes is because I have heard of people who never do them. That's why I let my chaeto run wild. I figure the trace elements are added through the ATO, so I wasn't very worried about that and I want to eventually begin dosing two-part (once I start testing for those params). ...I know...I know...I'm a bit of a maverick ;)

this probably isn't right. i've heard of people not doing water changes, but i'm not sure that's the model you typically see associated with "reef success." your chaeto may remove nutrients, but it's not a substitute for water changes. your skimmer is also removing trace elements, which water changes would typically replenish.

sometimes test kits can be faulty. they can also expire and end up being worthless (see: my calcium test kit). might want to have your LFS check phosphates/nitrates for you (though even if they test at 0, it might not mean they aren't there, as they can be bound up (and thereby masked) by existing algae in your system. but that's not really the central issue.

in any event, your ATO should be adding RODI fresh water. So, no trace elements by definition. If you're getting trace elements, it means you're topping off with salt water, which would also be a problem because you're going to be increasing your water's specific gravity. that is very problematic.

this probably isn't right. i've heard of people not doing water changes, but i'm not sure that's the model you typically see associated with "reef success." your chaeto may remove nutrients, but it's not a substitute for water changes. your skimmer is also removing trace elements, which water changes would typically replenish.

sometimes test kits can be faulty. they can also expire and end up being worthless (see: my calcium test kit). might want to have your LFS check phosphates/nitrates for you (though even if they test at 0, it might not mean they aren't there, as they can be bound up (and thereby masked) by existing algae in your system. but that's not really the central issue.

in any event, your ATO should be adding RODI fresh water. So, no trace elements by definition. If you're getting trace elements, it means you're topping off with salt water, which would also be a problem because you're going to be increasing your water's specific gravity. that is very problematic.

Good call. I will start dosing sooner than later in that case. Also, I will have to make a trip to the LFS to get my water tested.

• 1 month later...
Wow, I've been gone a little while. Last week I added an Ocellaris Clownfish and he's doing great. Will upload some pics soon.

riz lives!

Great tank, love your inhabitants. I wish my Chaeto would grow like that :(

Bill, get yourself a $11 clip on light from Home Depot and throw in a 23 Watt Fluorescent Bulb and you will have some monster Chaeto. BTW, I got rid of all the Grape caulerpa...well, most of it anyway. I hate it!!! It's like a weed and grows in places where it shouldn't...like inside my return pump. With the 23 Watt bulb the Chaeto grows like crazy still.

At the moment I have two fish....a Bi-Color PseudoChromis and an Ocellaris Clown. Just this week I threw in some Fluval Lab Phosphate remover in a nylon Mesh bag (no worries, it's GFO based and not the aluminum leaching stuff like PhosGuard). I've been battling Hair Algae and This weird orange carpet looking stuff that's been growing on my sand. You can actually grab it with tweezers when it grows thick enough and pull the whole thing out. This must mean that the Phosphates are too high. I tested them today and they came out at 0, but that may be because the algae is consuming much of it. I put half the container of Fluval in the tank. Will let you know the results in a week or so.

I did my second water change (since I set the tank up ;) ) just two weeks ago. After that my Coraline growth has really bumped up. I had purchased some B-Ionic, but I'm waiting to get an Alk Test Kit before I start dosing.

I am thinking about getting a Long nose hawkfish, but I am a little worried of losing him to carpet surfing. If anyone has made a decent cover for this tank then let me know. I really do like the open top, but I'd like to get some fish that are known jumpers.

Bill, get yourself a $11 clip on light from Home Depot and throw in a 23 Watt Fluorescent Bulb and you will have some monster Chaeto. BTW, I got rid of all the Grape caulerpa...well, most of it anyway. I hate it!!! It's like a weed and grows in places where it shouldn't...like inside my return pump. With the 23 Watt bulb the Chaeto grows like crazy still.

At the moment I have two fish....a Bi-Color PseudoChromis and an Ocellaris Clown. Just this week I threw in some Fluval Lab Phosphate remover in a nylon Mesh bag (no worries, it's GFO based and not the aluminum leaching stuff like PhosGuard). I've been battling Hair Algae and This weird orange carpet looking stuff that's been growing on my sand. You can actually grab it with tweezers when it grows thick enough and pull the whole thing out. This must mean that the Phosphates are too high. I tested them today and they came out at 0, but that may be because the algae is consuming much of it. I put half the container of Fluval in the tank. Will let you know the results in a week or so.

I did my second water change (since I set the tank up ;) ) just two weeks ago. After that my Coraline growth has really bumped up. I had purchased some B-Ionic, but I'm waiting to get an Alk Test Kit before I start dosing.

I am thinking about getting a Long nose hawkfish, but I am a little worried of losing him to carpet surfing. If anyone has made a decent cover for this tank then let me know. I really do like the open top, but I'd like to get some fish that are known jumpers.

re: GFO, with adding it all at once, you have to watch your Alk to make sure it doesn't suddenly drop off a cliff.

re: your water change regimen, that is certainly something you could do to help reduce nutrients (phosphates/nitrates) that the algae is using to grow. not only that, though -- one of the purposes of the water changes is to replenish the calcium/carbonate/magnesium/trace elements that get depleted over time in the aquarium. if you are trying to keep corals or other inverts, and you aren't dosing, you need to do water changes.

re: hawkfish/top -- i like those hawkfish. i made a top for my gramma/jawfish that has worked out ok so far, but becact made a pretty nice looking one. i'm still trying to find some free time where i can sit down and make one like his. i've already bought everything i need -- just need to sit down and do it. i'll post pics when i do. we both got our mesh from the nano-reef member "Acroholic".

re: GFO, with adding it all at once, you have to watch your Alk to make sure it doesn't suddenly drop off a cliff.

re: your water change regimen, that is certainly something you could do to help reduce nutrients (phosphates/nitrates) that the algae is using to grow. not only that, though -- one of the purposes of the water changes is to replenish the calcium/carbonate/magnesium/trace elements that get depleted over time in the aquarium. if you are trying to keep corals or other inverts, and you aren't dosing, you need to do water changes.

re: hawkfish/top -- i like those hawkfish. i made a top for my gramma/jawfish that has worked out ok so far, but becact made a pretty nice looking one. i'm still trying to find some free time where i can sit down and make one like his. i've already bought everything i need -- just need to sit down and do it. i'll post pics when i do. we both got our mesh from the nano-reef member "Acroholic".

Tim, Keep me informed about that Mesh top. I'd love to see pics. BTW, I've got B-IOnic, I just need to start dosing it...

...Also, I just tested Alk 2 days ago and it was at 4.5...

Tim, Keep me informed about that Mesh top. I'd love to see pics. BTW, I've got B-IOnic, I just need to start dosing it...

...Also, I just tested Alk 2 days ago and it was at 4.5...

4.5 meq/L or 4.5dkh? 4.5dkh = bad

Here are some waaaaay overdue pics! BTW, still haven't figured out what's making that clicking noise...

Full Tank Shot

FTS.JPG

Ocellaris Clownfish

Clown_Pic_1.JPG

Clown_Pic_2.JPG

Clown_Pic_4.JPG

Shrimp (was supposed to be a peppermint Shrimp, but LFS tricked me)

Shrimp_Pic_1.JPG

"Hitch" the unidentified Hitchhiking Crab

Crab_Pic_1.JPG

Crab_Pic_3.JPG

Crab_Pic_2.JPG

Strange Algae growth I have been battling

Algae_Pic_1.JPG

Algae_Pic_2.JPG

Algae_Pic_3.JPG

Look at all that growth on my PH!

Powerhead_Pic_1.JPG

...BTW, I'm not positive yet, but I think my giant Emerald Crab got ripped apart by Hitch....although the ripped open claw I saw hitch munching on may have just been a molt....we'll know in a few days I imagine...

that red muck algae is cyano. nutrients (phosphates, nitrates) and DOM are high. you need water changes!

you oughta rip that stuff off your powerhead, too. youch.

that red muck algae is cyano. nutrients (phosphates, nitrates) and DOM are high. you need water changes!

you oughta rip that stuff off your powerhead, too. youch.

...Alright, water change #3 coming up early next week...and I'll rip that junk off my PH as well.

what kind of shrimp do you have there? you say the LFS tricked you? Is it a camelback? i can't tell from the picture.

• 2 weeks later...
a new fish, you say?

go on....

What is yellow, black, and blue, and rhymes with chang? Buahaha! And will cause a certain group of police to come after me. :o

Happy Water change day! Added some new salt and water so everything is happier. We'll see what happens to all that nuisance algae...

Salt_n_Water.JPG

haha -- well, looking at that picture, that oughta take care of anything that was wrong.

seriously, though -- pics or this "chang" didn't happen.

Archived