inTank Media Baskets

Vic's Random Photography

Withers

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

uno from the wedding last weekend. wish i would've taken more pictures of the ceremony, the reception had such poor lighting that non of the shots I took were salvageable :(

6235786407_9e3aa99688_z.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

getting around to editing more shots from last year...

this is barely edited. i wish i could have light like this for every picture

6502447055_f12c82f35c_z.jpg

cousin's wedding

5948053617_616427581b_z.jpg

my brother posing like an idiot

5948607010_14c365f5e7_z.jpg

random family portrait from the wedding

5948067549_159fbda3da_z.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Trying to improve my post processing skills. Still struggling, but here's some re-edits of older shots.

I still blew the highlights on this one. I need to go back and do some more work on it.

6827313049_306cf1f226_z.jpg

Satin white MINI on the move. by jasonwithers, on Flickr

I think I need to darken the road to make this one really pop.

6826798047_04e65b6f91_z.jpg

Satin white MINI on the move. by jasonwithers, on Flickr

I really love the first one you posted there. I've never really done any panning work before. What is the shutter speed on those shots and was your camera mounted on a tripod?

They're not quite panning shots, they're rolling shots. I was in a lead car, hanging out the side and we were traveling at the same speed as the white MINI. Shutter speeds were probably either 1/20 or 1/25.

You can typically tell the difference based on the angle. If the subject is parallel to photographer and farther away, it's probably panning:

5028219041_6d73d8f70f_z.jpg

Rolling shots will be from pretty much any angle other than strictly parallel

3931730676_3570ea640d_z.jpg?zz=1

And then there are rig shots, which will be similar to rolling shots but are usually longer exposures and/or better angles. That's where the camera is attached to a pole which is attached to the car. I don't have a rig built because rolling shots are a lot easier to set up and a lot less post work.

I'm glad to hear that these shots actually do take a bit of work. They do Pay off though. Guess I am gonna have to ride around with friends and hang out the window with my camera.

Thanks for sharing these. Shooting moving objects is something I still gotta get and and do.

They're fun but also incredibly frustrating. When I first started trying them (actually the set with the white MINI was my first attempt), I got maybe 1 in 30 that were usable. Now when I do them I'm at about 50% usable, but I still throw out 95% of everything I take.

I can really see the difficulty there. I have a hard enough time catching good shot's of my clownfish and they don't move near as fast. They do look like shots that are worth taking. I just don't have sets and nice cars to shoot. I would have interstate and rusted up honkey trucks.

Yeah I know that feeling. That's why the only cars that I ever end up doing those shots of are mine or my brother's, or when I'm at a big car show far away from here. The "car scene" here in Myrtle Beach consists of 80% donk mobiles and 20% ricers with body kits and no suspension work.

We're putting coilovers on Krista's MINI soon, so that should be the next set I do :)

I have always wanted to do a rolling shot. I have a couple friends with nice cars, and want to shoot them, but never knew how "easy" it really is. Looks like I need to practice...while I'm driving. B)

Yep, not too difficult, especially if you have steady hands.

1/25

f/8

Make sure it isn't set to center focus

Choose your ISO based on the amount of light you have to work with.

The hardest part is getting both cars to be going at the exact same speed, and I mean it has to be exact. The best shots are when you're going around turns, but of course that makes going the same speed nearly impossible. We typically go between 35 and 45 mph for those shots.

One of the Jetta before I break the wheels down for paint and polish.

6852931195_abc8fb9764_z.jpg

IMG_2650 by jasonwithers, on Flickr

and before anyone says anything, that awful color was from the previous owner of the wheels. I'll be painting them silver again.

• 3 weeks later...

Played golf with the parents this past weekend and had some good luck finding wildlife (thank god since play was sooooo slow).

Wild turkeys :)

6796469506_9e82b57abf_z.jpg

Wild Turkey by jasonwithers, on Flickr

6796469038_a51b9243d6_z.jpg

Wild Turkey by jasonwithers, on Flickr

Fox Squirrel

6796470232_1c07bc9fff_z.jpg

Fox Squirrel by jasonwithers, on Flickr

6796469876_1ec44d3f7e_z.jpg

Fox Squirrel by jasonwithers, on Flickr

Gator. This guy was medium sized, maybe 6 feet head to tail?

6942584331_52549de903_z.jpg

Alligator near the Marsh by jasonwithers, on Flickr

I was bored so I spent... well too much time editing these, but it was fun.

Me and my brother used to stalk turkeys in the woods in SC a long time ago. They were fun to follow. Too bad I didn't have a camera back then.

Nice shots.

Archived