Top Shelf Aquatics

Vic's Random Photography

Withers

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't typically use presets.

It's just a slight white balance adjustment and a bit of split toning (highlights - yellow, shadows - blue). Actually I may not have even done anything with the shadows.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Yeah! Just lit by street lights, it took me FOREVER to find a spot with decent lighting. That one is lit by a street light from directly above and one from across the street hitting the rear quarter panel. I was scouting around the shopping center for 2 hours taking pictures, and that's the only one I ended up editing. Night shots are hard

The rolling shots are pretty sick!

Thanks! They're a bit of a specialty of mine :)

thanks!

last one from h20

8242301755_5036e2ccd6_b.jpg

I'm itching to start my 365 day project, but I'm trying to hold off on editing stuff till January so I have lots to work with.

• 4 months later...

well, the 365 day project burned to the ground once it got warm again. i may never successfully complete one, oh well.

I was asked to take some candids at a wedding last weekend and it really put the 6D to the test. These were all taken at either ISO 6400 (for nifty fifty shots) or ISO 10000 (for Siggy 150 prime). EXIF is intact for all of them.

Yeah me too :) I wish they would've turned on a few more lights, I could have gotten much better pictures. But oh well.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Amazing work. I love your style.

You mostly use Lightroom right? (I could be making that up, but I know you helped me out a lot before. Could you talk a little about your editing process?

Thanks! I only use LIghtroom, it does nearly everything I would ever want it to do. If it included layers like Photoshop it would be the perfect tool I think.

I don't really have a defined editing process unfortunately, I just work my way down the features.

1. Correct the exposure. I start with any large changes I need to make then fine tune with the highlight/shadow adjustments based on the histograph. Depending on the picture, I'll add a GND filter to help even out the exposure between the sky and the ground.

2. Correct the white balance

3. Add a little clarity (localized contrast) and then correct colors with vibrance / saturation

4. Add contrast with the levels tool. I typically push highlights pretty high and do a small adjustment to shadows. It really just depends on the picture.

5. Sharpen / Reduce noise

6. Let Lightroom correct the distortion / vignette from the lens if need be

7. Sometimes I'll split tone the image (the car shots above are split toned). This is where you give the highlights one color tint and the shadows another. In the car shots above the highlights are yellow and the shadows have a slight purple color cast.

8. Clone out any distracting elements (power lines, unsightly reflections in paint, people sometimes, etc)

9. Crop

10. Artistic experimentation stuff - Sometimes I'll do local area adjustments to bring out certain parts of the picture. For instance, on car pictures I'll do a layer brush over the wheels to boost the exposure slightly, add a little clarity and increase contrast to help them stand out. I also tend to add a brush to the pavement to add a whole bunch of clarity and contrast to bring out the texture. Sometimes I'll add a GND filter except instead of decreasing the exposure like normal I'll increase it to add a little dynamic to the background if it is flat. Sometimes I'll tint that GND filter yellow to mimic a sunflare.

It really just depends on the picture. Sometimes I only spend 2 minutes on a picture, sometimes I spend 2 hours.

You're welcome! Oh and I forgot to mention, I only shoot in RAW so I'm able to make all of those changes without damaging the quality of the picture. If I was shooting in JPEG I would only do very very minor adjustments.

Archived