ReefCleaners.org

15g Seahorse Tank

Carinya

I can't seem where you posted what kind of Sea-horses you have.

I am looking into setting up a sea horse tank in the next few months.

thanks

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can't seem where you posted what kind of Sea-horses you have.

I am looking into setting up a sea horse tank in the next few months.

thanks

hippocampus fuscus seahorses

Thanks Jonny.

DHaut - they eat frozen mysis. I use Hykari, as it seems to be the right size for them & it is what the breeder was feeding them. Much more convenient than live food.

The babies required live food though...

Deleted User 6

Did you have to wean them onto frozen or did the breeder already have them there? I'm thinking about a pair of H. erectus or reidi for a 20H display fuge I'm setting up as a FL biotope. Is that too small? Would there be a better species (I need them eating frozen - I simply don't have the time to hatch bbs)?

Thanks!

The breeder already had them on frozen. I don't have the time to deal with bbs all the time either.

I believe a 20H would be good for one pair of erectus. I am not entirely sure about reidi. I must say, I focused on the smaller species because I knew I could never have the larger ones in this tank...If you went with fuscus you could probably get more than a pair, as they're smaller.

One thing you might want to know is that many of the folks who are long-term "real" seahorse keepers say they shouldn't be kept at temps above ~74. Not sure what your temp control plans are for the biotope, but I thought I'd throw it out there...

Go check out www.seahorse.org. They have lots of care info.

Deleted User 6

Above 74 really? I would think their natural habitats get above that sometimes, esp. in the carribbean. I'll check into it. The reef tank it'll be connected to will be around 78.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Paleoreef103

Hey! Long time no post! Any more info on your horseys? I saw some at the LFS today and thought of this tank.

I really like this tank.

I've been doing some research on starting up a SH tank. I enjoyed reading your thread as you have done a nice job with it.

• 4 weeks later...

I hope your seahorses are unrelated.(inbreeding= ewww)

Oh and ha I noticed a difference from your FTS and FTS where it was trimmed. It looked better after it was trimmed.

• 3 weeks later...

WOW.. I just found this trend on google when looking for better lighting for my tank. I have the same 15g as you Carinya but at the same time its nothing like yours.. lol I love what you have done with the tank. I picked mine up about 4 months ago on craigslist it came with everything+stand (for 70 bucks). I have it set up as an fresh water tank basically because I never thought you could really do anything like what you have. I am looking into making a sump to go under the stand. I don't know if you took any pics of you putting the over fill into the tank or not but if you do I would really appreciate it if not its cool. what kind of light did you put into the tank I know you mentioned it in an earlier post, but when I went to look for it I couldn't find anything? here is a pick of my tank and stand as of today. like I said nothing like yours.

100_1198.jpg

I am going to make a door in the bottom of the stand. I want to but a sump down there If i can find a way?

my idea is to make a three tier sump out of 12' pvc pipe. I dont have all the stats yet on just how I will pull this off but If I wrap my head around it long enough I will find a way.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry & thank you!

The tank is well and I have been insanely busy. They haven't bred again that I'm aware of, but they do exhibit mating behavior so perhaps I'll be able to try raising the fry again some time.

I am looking into making a sump to go under the stand. I don't know if you took any pics of you putting the over fill into the tank or not but if you do I would really appreciate it if not its cool. what kind of light did you put into the tank I know you mentioned it in an earlier post, but when I went to look for it I couldn't find anything? here is a pick of my tank and stand as of today. like I said nothing like yours.

I (obviously) love these tanks. I would suggest a sump because the tank dimensions make it hard to get equipment in there & still keep a clean look.

I did not take pics of the actual overflow box as it went in. Here's the best I can do to 'splain.

styrofoam back wall prior to coating with concrete was shaped with an opening for the box:

styroback.jpg

Then I made a small box out of acrylic from Home Depot that had solid sides & notched teeth at the top. It was somewhat like this but only about 4" tall (and my teeth aren't as neat as that):

intern6.jpg

So after I had cement-coated the styrofoam and had siliconed the styrofoam back wall in place, I placed blukhead. Then put the overflow in place & siliconed it at the back edges. My overflow plumbing is an external durso, ala Tigah's diagram here.

I used a 70w mh retro kit. Similar to hellolights one (here) but my reflector is smaller than that. Mine looks like this, minus the heat sinks. I got it many years back on ebay from seller "aquabuys."

What I did to get the lighting in there was take a dremel to the plastic casing that houses the factory bulb. Unscrew the reflector & gut the whole thing. When I was done, prior to installing the MH, the box that housed the factory light was completely gone. I fastened my MH reflector to a piece of wood, then screwed the wood into the factory holes that were left from the factory lighting. Hopefully this makes some sense to you, seeing as you have the exact tank.

I am going to make a door in the bottom of the stand. I want to but a sump down there If i can find a way?

my idea is to make a three tier sump out of 12' pvc pipe. I dont have all the stats yet on just how I will pull this off but If I wrap my head around it long enough I will find a way.

Wow, that sounds involved but cool. My tank sits on my desk, so my sump could be a standard 15H.

Thanks again everyone & the tank/horses are alive & well.

Carinya,

Are you still posting on seahorse.org? If so, what's your username? I've been posting over there since I started my SH tank 2-1/2 months ago...very nice and knowledgeable people over there.

Take a look at my tank thread when you have time....I have (2) juvi h. Erectus in the tank right now that I purchased from Seahorse Corral. I also have a Biocube 29 reef tank with a lot of coral in it, but my Seahorse tank (CADLights 39gal) is, and will be, mostly display macros. I do have some coral in there right now, but don't plan on adding too much more.

I like how you have mixed some nice coral and seagrass. Very nicely scaped!

Mark

I'm sorry about your pony fry :tears:

I had a seahorse only tank - until my pink+black cucumber randomly died and they tried to eat the bloody thing! They convulsed and died within half an hour. I balled my eyes out.

I still have them dried out though!!!. . . Am I sick? O_o

Anywho, the tank is just Fish Only now...haven't had the heart to try ponies again. I get too attached!

It's great to see a seahorse tank though. Inspires me to try again one day. :)

Carinya,

Are you still posting on seahorse.org?

Not all that often, but the username is Carinya, same as here. Thanks for the compliments.

omgomgomg

:huh: imma take that as a compliment. i think.

Inspires me to try again one day. :)

Do eeeeeet!!

Archived