Innovative Marine Aquariums

15g Seahorse Tank

Carinya

So, I changed my feeding station to something that has a black bottom so the horses could see the mysis better and WOW, it has been a great success this morning.

2008_02_07_great_success.jpg

If we can get this feeding thing locked down better, I will be so happy.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

omgomgomg omgomgomg omgomgomg

They are eating like MAD. And the mysis isn't floating all around the tank only to decay in crevices. I am so PSYCHED.

The male horse, who has always been ultra reclusive is even out front & center now, snarking up the food.

Yaaaay!

edit: and yes, i took pics & yes they will be posted in fairly short order.

Sooo....

The female is sick. Here she is in the hospital tank. :tears::scarry:

:mellow:

I hope your seahorse gets better.

btw, HOW DID I MISS THIS THREAD? Awesome tank.

Tracked...

Steve

doesn't look sick..... but i don't no what a sick horse looks like.

She is not supposed to have that big spot on her belly.

She is acting normal so far though and just ate, so fingerscrossed

BANG! what an absolutely amazing tank! Ever thought about doing some side work aquascaping? If so I will bloody well fly you out to do a tank for me!

some change colors sometimes

I know, but she doesn't have anything else like this and people who know FAR more about seahorses than I do have said that they are sure this isn't just her markings. I haven't medicated her at all because nobody seems sure what it is. But she is in the hospital tank with a lowered tank temp in case it is a bacterial infection. Or in case it is a sting of some sort (hidden aptasia? even with the peppermints?) then she'll have time to heal in a lower-temp tank so a bacterial infection won't take hold.

The good news is that she is still eating normally. So we'll see.

Thanks Lani.

I see I haven't posted it yet, but I named her Biakabutuka and the male is Polamalu.

Since they are such fragile things, I thought it'd be appropriate to name them after football players.

And seeing as I am an Ohio State fan, I had to name the female after Biakabutuka. Wikipedia: "Biakabutukua is perhaps best known for his 313-yard rushing effort against Ohio State in 1995, which helped Michigan upset the previously-undefeated Buckeyes"

Needreefunds

Just found this thread. :o

Such a beautiful tank Carinya!

I hope the pretty pony feels better soon. :(

Following along. :)

Don't know much at all about horses other than I love them. You have a beautiful tank. To me it looks like a burn mark. Hope all goes well for you and the critters, and I am tagging along to see how everything develops.

Thanks guys. I'll be sure to let everyone know.

To me it looks like a burn mark.

My heaters are in the sump and other than a stray aptasia that I can't see that the peppermints haven't eaten, I'm really at a loss for what could have stung or burned her.

The tank has been set up from the get-go for seahorses & everything coral & invert-wise should be uber safe & "by the book" per the seahorse.org library.

Well hopefully she will be fine & we'll have many happy years together.

She is not supposed to have that big spot on her belly.

She is acting normal so far though and just ate, so fingerscrossed

rely? i like the spot lol

the spot is the problem, lol

hydroids are only supposed to be a problem for dwarf seahorses, who are like a tenth this size. it'd take a monster hydroid to do that to this horse. maybe a jellyfish. which, i'm pretty sure i don't have.

060119_jellyfish.jpg

Archived