Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

15g Seahorse Tank

Carinya

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Holy crap very nice! I had one of those tanks but eventually converted it to a vivarium because it was so hard to aquascape. You nailed it though :)

The seahorses are here & they are beautiful. Per the acclimation instructions, the tank is to stay dim so pics will have to wait.

wow looks great. how did you get the Styrofoam to look like that in the first picture. it looks like rocks are molded into it or something

I broke it up with my hands, also used regular kitchen utensils to mold it (knife, fork). I had the rocks ahead of time so I could work out the entire 'scape & epoxy all the rock together ahead of time. The tower of rocks just leans against the back wall, but it is very stable on its own with the exception of the very top 2 or 3 pieces.

Holy crap very nice! I had one of those tanks but eventually converted it to a vivarium because it was so hard to aquascape. You nailed it though :)

Thanks - I certainly had a long time to think about it & plan it out. Nuhutty actually had one of these set up as a reef a while back. He piled a bunch of rocks up in the middle & I believe it was view-able from 4 sides. Ours were pretty different though as his had a 150MH & he kept clams & sps I believe. I looked up his old thread but the pics are gone.

It'd make a great viv, but how did you FF-proof the back opening in the hood? :) I really want to do some thumbnail PDFs but I just don't have the room. We'll get frog eggs again this year from the local swamp & that'll have to suffice. (released as juveniles after morphing)

I will post pics with a GOOD camera (as opposed to my so-so one I used before) soon as I can.

The male, who hung out in the turtle grass all day:

male.jpg

And the female, who mostly hid:

female.jpg

They are eating, but it is hard for me to be sure they are eating enough... :unsure:

wow amazing.. they dont sell these tanks anywhere anymore?

i cant even find one on ebay/craigslist

i love your scaping!

Thanks Jake. No, they don't. They are difficult to find. There was a 4g version of the tank as well and I found one at goodwill about 5 years ago. But I never see them referenced or for sale. I think they weren't good sellers, hence them being discontinued and now being hard to find. I was really lucky to grab one of the last new ones in town here back in '03.

You could always DIY your own...

i was thinkginf of DIY one..

but i needa worry about a car first =p

haha.. when i get a job llife is gonna be soo much easier, and a car.. of course.

i hate relying on people to take u places if u know what i mean.. like my fish has some skin disease right now and i cant get a ride to go anywhere and save the little guy =[ i feel bad..

I just saw this. WOW! I love the look of the tank & your sea horses. I used to go stare at Weetie's when she had them in her tank in FL. I have not gotten brave enough to try them. Good job on this tank.

lol...jake...lol life so doesnt get any easier once you get a job!! lol just playin.

but back to this tank.........................................SIMPLY AMAZING!!! GORGEOUS! ABSOLUTLY GORGEOUS!! everything looks so perfect!! like a professional artist painted a mural!! great job!!!

Amazing tank.

One question are those seahorse eating frozen or are they only eating live brine.

Adolfo

Thanks. They are eating frozen mysis.

since y'all are being so nice, here are some more pics.

green toadstool

greenleather.jpg

encrusting montipora bought at the local fragswap in feb, starting to encrust on the top/whitish rock. should be cool when it expands more.

montipora.jpg

blue spotted mushrooms & orange zoos on the back wall

mushrooms9.jpg

some green zoos & the best pic I have of my snake polyps, which are the strange bumpy thing out of focus on the right

zoossnake.jpg

yes,,,very nice shots! i too like the toadstool! i have a true tyree toadstool, and it is one of my favorites!! like i stated earlier, GREAT JOB!!!

The sea horses are doing OK, but not great. Did a 10% water change due to all the additional food being put into the tank versus prior to the horses. They just don't seem to eat much though, so I am slightly concerned. On Saturday I set up a fake shell feeding station in the seagrass, where they hang out the most. The feeding station is part of a Top Fin artificial tank decoration. The original looked something like this:

pPETS-3760070dt.jpg

I cracked it up so just the shell remained. I used a dremel to smooth out the rough bits. So now it is a nice deep shell bowl in my sand. I put the mysis into the shell via a long tube, then after the horses are looking at it I use a turkey baster to get the mysis to jump around a bit so the horses are enticed. The horses look & look. Sometimes I mess it up & all the mysis gets shot out of the feeding bowl. Sometimes they aren't hanging out anywhere near the bowl, so I try to feed them slowly with the turkey baster wherever they happen to be. *sigh* It is slooooow.

Finally this morning the female ate out of the station. She snicked up like 4 or 5 pieces. But the male didn't eat too much today at all.

I spoke with the seller, who said to give them until this Thursday or so before I order live food as a supplement. He said that if I am seeing them eating anything then that is a good sign at this point. And I see them usually snick 3 or so pieces each day. He said they're likely eating the tank's copepods but honestly I don't see too many of those & the horses are looking thin. :unsure::(

We'll see I guess.

Keep your fingers crossed for us.

Archived