Coral Vue Hydros

Professor's 40 Breeder

Professor

Tank is looking good, Prof!

Thanks Lani. I need to roam over to your thread. I haven't checked yours out in a while.

So I just went and tried to snap a few pics and my battery is dead in my camera :angry: . Will have to try again later.

-Prof

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pics

Stinky and Smelly

100_0933.jpg

100_0934.jpg

New GBTA with purple tips in the foreground. The deformed one in the background is my other BTA that is recovering from a split.

100_0935.jpg

Anemone Cove:

100_0936.jpg

Updated FTS:

100_0937.jpg

I got bored this weekend and my bride was working a 12 at the hospital so I packed up my kids and went on a reefin' roadtrip. I live in the boonies and I only have 1 LFS that carries saltwater. His stuff is usually healthy and reasonably priced but he does not have a lot of variety. So I rolled up to Glen Burnie to House of Tropicals and was wicked disappointed in that store. Livestock variety was so/so, prices were large and all the fish looked on the verge of death. Disappointed but not discouraged I loaded my grubs back up in the car and rolled to a place called Roozens that I had been to once before. The place is a bit weird and funky, and smells to high heaven but they had awesome stuff. It is actually a nursery that is also a SW fish and invert importer. My kids especially liked the pond in the green house that had emporer angels and naso tangs swimming in it. So I ended up picking up some Pep Shrimp for my sump to eat aipstasia off of a couple frags I have down from the old tank, a pair of Skunk cleaners for the Display and a new Purple Tipped GBTA that is still acclimating towards the bottom of the display. So it took 6 hours on the road, a trip to McDonalds, three movies and 4 pee stops, and I burned up a whole prehistoric forest in my big-azz truck, but it was worth it. Kids and I had a great day and got some cool stuff for the tank (kids picked the Skunks and named them - Stinky and Smelly).

This sounds awesome!!!

How old are your kids?

Pics to follow shortly.

-Prof

Those clowns look happy. :lol:

They are my spoiled little babies. Had them several years now. Too bad they are nuttier than squirrel poo. Clownfish are just wierd :huh:

Weetie,

My grubs are 8 and 13. I try to keep them interested in the reef and my passion for undersea life. Sometimes they dig it and other times they look at me like I just grew another belly-button out of my forehead!

When I was younger I had the opportunity to live in Saudi Arabia (early 80's) and we went diving and snorkeling in the Red Sea often. It was pristine back then and not a soul around. We would just roll up out of the desert, pitch camp on the beach above the high tide line and spend 3-4 days on the reef. I have been hooked on the sea and coral reefs in particular ever since. I hope to share an experience like that one day with my kids.....

-Prof

Needreefunds

Finally caught up on this thread Prof. :o

Outstanding work on this build!

Must be an awesome feeling knowing how much you did yourself.

And the reef looks beautiful, love the nems.

Great stuff! B)

Finally caught up on this thread Prof. :o

Outstanding work on this build!

Must be an awesome feeling knowing how much you did yourself.

And the reef looks beautiful, love the nems.

Great stuff! B)

Thanks NRF. I enjoy working with my hands so it was very satisfying doing this build. :) However, I still need to get off my fanny and build the matching canopy! :o

I want to re-arrange and get my corals mounted and do something with that big-azz monti up in the corner, but honestly I am just enjoying it like it is right now. I will probably do that some time this weekend and get the new GBTA in what I hope to be it's final home. Then it will be time to lay back and watch it fill in. I am on the look-out for 3 juvenile clowns to add to the tank so my big female can pimp it up in there. ;) But I am not too pressed to do that right now.

-Prof

Nice! love the new nems!

Thanks D! :D

Down the road I would like to have enough nems so that my clowns can dominate a couple and still have some room for a anemone crab or some pederson's shrimp or something like that. Right now my clowns would kill or drive off anything like that. Bahstads! :mellow:

• 2 weeks later...

Decided it was time to update the thread since I have made some changes to the tank. First I fragged that big monti cap and rearranged it on the rock work so it can grow in and have a more natural look. Hopefully it will do well.

I was also at the LFS this weekend and saw a Royal Gramma that was beautiful. I always wanted one and had some store credit from some frags I just brought in so he came home with me. He is still pretty shy. My wife loves him.

We also went out and got some nice rattan/wicker furniture to go in the room with the tank. It is really turning into a great place to chill. All that is in there is some plants, the tank, chairs and a radio. It is my favorite room in the house.

On to the pics:

New resident:

100_0941.jpg

Fragged Monti - hoping it will regain it's bright green color over time:

100_0939.jpg

Bunch o' Nems:

100_0942-1.jpg

3/4 shot:

100_0944.jpg

FTS:

100_0938.jpg

Enjoy!

-Prof

Tank looks awesome! So your kids aren't that interested in the tank huh? I've kept tanks since I was 6, sw from whenever my dad taught me to catch tropicals, and reefs since I was 11. My dad always had a sw tank in the house and I think that really made me get into keeping aquariums. Plus I've lived in florida my whole life so I've always been around the water, fishing, snorkeling, catching lobsters, catching fish for my tank or to sell which I found out is illegal since I don't have a commercial fishing liscence. So no more going out and catching my limit of angels and going to the LFS with a bucket full of fish and leaveing with a bunch of frags. I'm now 15 and addicted to reefing, all my freinds that don't keep tanks think I'm crazy. By little brother tried keeping softies til' he found out how demanding this hobby is and gave up and now calls me a fish nerd and a reef geek. So i know how you feel when they look at you wiered. at least my mom kept a nano until the cost just got to be too much so only my brother thinks I'm crazy. :)

Tank looks awesome! So your kids aren't that interested in the tank huh? I've kept tanks since I was 6, sw from whenever my dad taught me to catch tropicals, and reefs since I was 11. My dad always had a sw tank in the house and I think that really made me get into keeping aquariums. Plus I've lived in florida my whole life so I've always been around the water, fishing, snorkeling, catching lobsters, catching fish for my tank or to sell which I found out is illegal since I don't have a commercial fishing liscence. So no more going out and catching my limit of angels and going to the LFS with a bucket full of fish and leaveing with a bunch of frags. I'm now 15 and addicted to reefing, all my freinds that don't keep tanks think I'm crazy. By little brother tried keeping softies til' he found out how demanding this hobby is and gave up and now calls me a fish nerd and a reef geek. So i know how you feel when they look at you wiered. at least my mom kept a nano until the cost just got to be too much so only my brother thinks I'm crazy. :)

That's great. I got inot the hobby pretty young too, although that was quite a few years ago ;) . And don't feel bad, I get called a fish nerd too.

Lookin' good!

Thanks for the compliment! BTW - great David Gilmore avatar!

Tank is looking great prof! I love those nems all in a line! :lol:

Thanks! I love my nems although probably not as much as my clownfish! Let's go CAPS!!!

-Prof

Needreefunds
Thanks for the compliment! BTW - great David Gilmore avatar!

-Prof

+1 :P was rather surprised by that one.

Very underrated artist IMO.

Gilmour's- "Murder" is one of my favs.

Sorry about straying off topic here Prof.

So,

Sweet tank shots Prof!

:lol:

+1 :P was rather surprised by that one.

Very underrated artist IMO.

Gilmour's- "Murder" is one of my favs.

Sorry about straying off topic here Prof.

So,

Sweet tank shots Prof!

Thanks NRF. I need to work with my camera so I can get my colors accurate and then try some macro shots. No problem about straying off topic. Music is one of my other passions! B)

Beautiful reef Professor!!

I'm glad you think so. :D I was sorry to hear you are taking down your rock wall. I need to stop being lazy and get caught up on your tank threads. Of course you have more tanks than Carter has liver pills so it will probably take me a while to get caught up! :P

-Prof

I now only have 2.5 tanks...not too shabby :P

2.5 Tanks? As in "two and a half" :huh: How the hell did you pull off half a tank? Or did you mean 25? :P

-Prof

looking really good

Thanks, I really appreciate that. I sometimes wish I went with the 30BR like you did though. I love the shallow look.

-Prof

wow! fantastic! everythin came out very nicely!! the stand is stunning! i also have handy hands...lol... ive been building stands and canopies for a while now, and i love it! im gonna start a new thread about my 40breeder disaster and the re-make sooooo. stay tuned! cant wait to see more progress on your tank, im positive it will be nuthing short of awesome!

wow! fantastic! everythin came out very nicely!! the stand is stunning! i also have handy hands...lol... ive been building stands and canopies for a while now, and i love it! im gonna start a new thread about my 40breeder disaster and the re-make sooooo. stay tuned! cant wait to see more progress on your tank, im positive it will be nuthing short of awesome!

Wow! Thanks! :blush: I am looking forward to seeing your 40BR re-make. Good Luck!

-Prof

Archived