Innovative Marine Aquariums

Kevin's Picotope

imkevin20

So I've always wanted one, finally got around to buying the jbj picotope setup. I'll be tearing down my 15g shortly and I wanted to get this thing started and cycled before I tore it down so I can transfer over the corals/cuc into this tank.

I plan on upgrading the stock 9w lights to the 36w current light that everyone tends to go with. I do however have a 12" PC light retro kit... Its 2x24w but I don't want to have a wooden canopy or anything of the sorts, I really want this to be VERY minimalistic looking so I'll probably stick with the current fixture.

picoclodu.jpg

Still kinda cloudy...

I'm using the powerhead from my CPR in-tank fuge, I think its a rio 50 so thats what about 70gph?

I'm not going to use any sort of filter for this but LR and LS along with a good upkeep of water changes.

As for heating, since i'm not doing any HOB filters and I don't want the heater to be in the tank to obstruct the appearance i'm hoping that the current 36w fixture will provide enough heat to keep it around 78-82 degrees?

At least I hope it will haha. Depending on what that fixture keeps the temp at I'll decide further on what to do about heating.

Anyone else whos running the 36w fixture on a pictope, without a heater what does the temps look like in your tank?

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm pretty sure the Current 12" fixture 2x18W doesn't get very hot at all... aside from the fact that it fits perfectly over the picotope... I think most people go with it 'cuz it doesn't get very hot at all. I may be mistaken so hopefully, someone else will chime in. But I wouldn't plan on that fixture maintaining your water temp between 78F-82F. :mellow:

Yeah i didnt think it would the more i looked at it...

At room temp. my water stays around 76-77 degrees so i might be able to come up with something, has anyone ever tried using a heating mat placed under the tank?

bad idea!

during the summer I was ok w/ no heater. but a few nights, it got cold and I woke up in the morning w/ my tank at 66-68F ?

so i'm sure it wont last through the fall / winter / early spring w/ no heater.

unless you have your room temperature constantly at 73+

A few reasons actually...

1. for the past month and 2 weeks now its had a MASSIVE outbreak of green/cloudy water

I've done everything possible from 50% WC to adding 2 fuge's to chemipure elite to algone to skimmer, nothing has worked.

2. i'm moving to north dallas, which is about an hour and a half from where i live now. and ill be staying in an apartment with 2 close friends. space will be limited as it is, theyve agreed to have my 45 tall in the dining room.

3. i want more space and a cleaner look for my tanks, the picotope will be great for that.

(i am keeping my tank, lights, powerhead, and in tank fuge because YES i will set it back up once i get moved in)

i dont want to get rid of my frogspawn and gsp, and since i already have a cuc i figured id go ahead and get this tank cycled so i can keep all that stuff.

as for the heater issues, cuboy pointed out a good idea. i may be considering doing something with a sump, im not sure exactly how i would do it. i saw someones cube threads where they used a canister filter and had drilled at the bottom for it, i dont want to do any drilling, but then again i dont want hardly anything hanging on the back...

does anyone have any ideas for hob overflows or something else that i could work with to keep a sump on this tank? i AM considering building a stand just for this tank, with that i could easily incorperate the sump in the stand etc etc etc...

Okay, after looking around a bit i think im gonna try to do an under the tank heating mat to keep the tank heated. The problem is that i cant find one with a thermostat or anything theyre just, plug in and go style. I could run it on a timer but i'd have to figure out when for it to come on and off.

http://www.petco.com/product/6353/Zoo-Med-...nk-Heaters.aspx

seems something like that should work for a 3g tank...

That looks like a good start! Can't wait to see it come together. :)

Thanks fab, i dont wanna give you too much credit

but when i plan out my pico i kinda refer to yours for most of it haha. along with the top off system, i placed my order for the same float today :P

That heating mat idea seems intresting. Which one are you going with? Wattage?

Im not sure haha... The site claims 8 watts for 10-20 gallons but then i gotta keep in mind, this is for a reptile there is no water.

but since it doesnt tell me how BIG each mat is, im gonna go by a petco while im in town tomorrow and just pick up the mat thats closest to the same size as my pico.

I'm going to moniter the temp overnight and see how low it gets.

I think heating is going to be my biggest obstacle with this tank and keeping it as clean looking as i want without a filter to put it in.

just get a hydor theo heater and lay it horizontal at the bottom of the tank behind the rocks

unattractive wires will run up the back though, believe me i thought about that too.

You could also try a in-line heater if you utilized a small canister filter (I had an XP1 on my picotope for awhile--great flow, pm me if you want a really good source for one cheap and new). Another option would be hydor's hydrokable, I don't know if its applicable for saltwater but it would be a neat idea to try it out in a pico.

Even with the pico's glass being tempered, I'd be worried the temp change with a mat could eventually cause cracking if you utilized a mat outside of the tank.

You could also try a in-line heater if you utilized a small canister filter (I had an XP1 on my picotope for awhile--great flow, pm me if you want a really good source for one cheap and new). Another option would be hydor's hydrokable, I don't know if its applicable for saltwater but it would be a neat idea to try it out in a pico.

Even with the pico's glass being tempered, I'd be worried the temp change with a mat could eventually cause cracking if you utilized a mat outside of the tank.

+1

I don't think the mats are meant to be used for aquariums filled with water. I could be wrong and maybe it would work... but I'd definitely do some serious checking.

true that and i dont want to risk it i guess. i picked up a hydor mini heater for now, seems to keep the temp around 76 at night and up to 80s during the day. that will due

i do have an in line heater already that worked great when my 29 was set up.

i have submerable lights for cheato, i guess i could run some of that in a canister.

e36, ill pm you about that cheap one!

Update:

ive added LR and its been a week with it running, starting to get a little diatom action on the sand.

i tested and ammonia had spiked some so i did a 75% water change to get it down

im having to do a slight soft cycle with this tank since i had to prematurely move my corals and cuc over from my 15g.

also added a lunar light set up on the stock light for some night viewing

picotop11.jpg

lunarlights.jpg

some from just now:

gps2.jpg

somecoral.jpg

fps.jpg

fts.jpg

and for some fun i got a new fish for my freshwater :P

newness.jpg

bigolecool.jpg

Its sweet man, whats the next addition for the pico?

new light and mushrooms probably

im gonna wait for new stuff though and let it get more established before adding more, probably focus more on my fw tank for now

more african cichlids

im also going to get this local guy to work on a replica ship for me thats gonna be the main decoration

i know people think its lame to have fake decorations but

The-British-Manowar-The-Royal-James-Flying-The-Royal-Ensign-Off-A-Coast.jpg

sunken, 3ft long 4ft high with the sails slightky poking out over the top

and by replica i mean this guy does REPLICA stuff :P

I'm so jealous... i've wanted one of these for a long time. good luck and keep us posted!

haha i was in the same boat as you for a LONG time.

funny youd post, i saw your 25g with the blue background

as you can see mine now has a blue background :P

so thanks for the inspiration :)

Archived