Cultivated Reef

Cam's AGA 40br reef-flat

Cam198

Great biotope, is the tank really as loud as it sounds in the youtube vids though?

No it's not as loud as it sounds in the youtube vids.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This tank is like I put a dive mask on and I am snorkeling in The Keys :D

great idea for a tank! I can't wait to get home from work to see the vids...a royal gramma, neon gobies and some jawfish would look spectacular!!

Maria

Actually, royal grammas are found in deeper water. But a pair of yellow-headed jawfish would fit in perfectly and be lots of fun to watch. :happy: Sea Life Inc has them available most of the time. What are your stocking plans?

BTW, this tank makes me happy and envious at the same time. I grew up in FL and have been snorkeling in the Keys, especially John Pennekamp. This looks just like what I remember growing up--gorgeous! I've wanted a Keys tank for a while, but just don't have the space.

• 1 month later...

Great looking tank!

I have also done a fair amount of diving in Key Largo and Islamorada. The gorgonians and sea fans are wonderful!

I do have to ask, why clownfish in a Caribbean tank? They seems a little out of place...I would think some damsels, or a school of blue chromis, or even a royal gramma would add to the realism.

A wavemaker with some sea fans would be awesome! Going to keep watching this one!

Keep up the good work!

Gordon

Actually, royal grammas are found in deeper water.

Really? What do you mean by deep water? I have seen them in the 20' zone which is very similar to reef in this tank. And they can go deeper...I have seen them in the 50' range for example.

http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/SpeciesSummary.php?id=5281

Just wanted to say, your statement piqued my curiosity.

Ok, sorry for the side note, back to the topic at hand! :)

Gordon

• 1 month later...

UPDATE: I lost 2 yellow feather gorg's to aspergillosis, which was a real bummer but all of the other gorgs look really good and it doesn't look like it has spread to any of the other colonies. I took out the encrusting montipora as I was skeptical as to whether it was a caribbean species or not. I added 1 more maxijet 1200 to the tank and I have 2 more coming in the mail. I'm saving up for a Chauvet timer that I can use as a wavemaker controller for the 4 powerheads, but for now I think the 4 powerheads should do fine without it. I have a little bit of an algae problem, but I bought some purigen online which should be coming in the mail shortly. I was laid off of my job a while ago so stocking the tank is going pretty slow because of money shortage. But I'm hoping I'll be able to afford an order this spring consisting of tube sponges, vase sponges, and blue reef chromis. Thanks for the kind comments :D

Gordon: I took out the clown and put it in my NC12 a while back so the tank is purely a biotope

Gordon: I took out the clown and put it in my NC12 a while back so the tank is purely a biotope

Exciting! Post an update once you get your sponge order in! :D

Keep up the good work!

Gordon

• 1 month later...

UPDATE: I decided to first get a bigger pump and sump before I get any fish or inverts, so that my tank will be able to handle the increased bio load. My plans are to get a 20H and section it with baffles for filter floss, filter pads, and purigen. I also wanna section out an area in it for some chaeto and gracelaria. I'm gonna use a Mag Drive 24 as the return pump, the SCWD can only handle 1400GPH so I'll adjust the blow off valve to accommodate the flow so that it won't be too much. When I get the pump running I'll take out some of my maxijets out, depending on how turbulent the flow gets from the pump upgrade.

The place that I was originally going to buy from has horrible shipping rates so I decided I'll buy my stuff from Cramer's Caribbean Creatures http://www.ccritters.com/, they have good prices on their stuff and their shipping rates are pretty cheap so I thought that I might as well give them a try. My order will consist of the following:

6 Purple Frilly Gorgonians

2 Yellow Sea Whips

2 Red Brittle Starfish

3 Peppermint Shrimps

1 Pygmy Angelfish

20 Astrea Snails

1 Harlequin Basslet

1 Lantern Basslet

1 Red Cardinalfish

5 Yellowedge Chromis

1 Mated pair of Pistol Shrimp

it totals shipping and everything at $230

All of the livestock will of course be ordered once I get my sump and pump all bought and setup, and once it warms up outside.

My tank is doing quite well, I added a couple more rocks in there that I attached some of my gorgs to, it looks pretty cool.

AdrianBryce

Your tank is awesome! I can't believe I have only just found it. I have been wanting a biotope just like this for a while now. I, however, have to wait til we move because I want to do this with a 180. Great work. I will be referring to this thread for inspiration.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Wow I didn't know that I had such a large following haha. Things with the tank have changed alot in the past months, I lost several Gorgonian colonies, However slowly but surely I'm making a comeback ;) I pulled out several of the larger rocks cause I felt that it was way too crowded. and I'm re-arranging a few of the Gorgs to making it more aesthetically pleasing. I just began sifting out the sand, getting most of the bigger grains and such out so that I have a cleaner looking sandbed. I'll take some pics of the tank once the water clears up a bit. I'm gonna be ordering some Shoal Grass for the tank, in a couple of weeks which I'm gonna spread around the sandbed, and are gonna keep it trimmed real short. Then eventually after that I want to order some blue chromis and a few basslets. Stay tuned for some pics later B)

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

UPDATE:

I had to close my other tank; a NC12 so I decided to merge those corals with my 40br. So it'll be a mixed soft coral reef tank, now. I'm gonna make a new thread for it, soon. So stay posted.

Archived