Pod Your Reef

Cam's AGA 40br reef-flat

Cam198

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SpankythePyro

lil cloudy still but a great example of marco in the main tank done right! You don't see much marco in dt's :)

lil cloudy still but a great example of marco in the main tank done right! You don't see much marco in dt's :)

Thanks!

UPDATE :

I put some fresh carbon into the sump to help clear the water of some of the phyto. I'll post another vid of the tank tonight. ;)

SpankythePyro

Oh shoot I didn't know you were adding phyto...thats why it was so green and now silty cloudy. Let the filter feeders have their breakfast, brunch, lunch, supper, dinner, and midnight snacks! :)

Oh shoot I didn't know you were adding phyto...thats why it was so green and now silty cloudy. Let the filter feeders have their breakfast, brunch, lunch, supper, dinner, and midnight snacks! :)

Lol don't worry, I'm not wiping out all the phyto just a little bit that way I can see things a little better ;)

UPDATE:

The phyto has got so thick that I decided to postpone the vid till it clears up a bit.

SpankythePyro

haha its probably reproducing in the tank ;). Any means of mech filtration that would kill it, because it if so it doesn't seem to be doing it. Those scallops and gong are probably loving it though

haha its probably reproducing in the tank ;). Any means of mech filtration that would kill it, because it if so it doesn't seem to be doing it. Those scallops and gong are probably loving it though

:huh: I don't understand what your saying

SpankythePyro

Any protein skimmer to remove the phyto?

If not that could be why there is so much and it seems like its multiplying

You could just run a UV filter for a few hours to help control the phyto population. I'm sure you don't want to kill it all just drive it down a bit.

I'm gonna ask my boss (i work at a fish store) if I can borrow a UV sterilizer for a few days, I'll probably only run it a few hours a day till I get it under control, then I'll make up a plan of how I'm gonna manage it more accurately so this doesn't happen again.

UPDATE:

The phytoplankton has finally started to clear up and it looks like I'll be able to shoot a new vid of my tank soon ;)

This is gonna be just my opinion, the tank looks awesome, i was doing some thing similar but i couldnt just stick with caribbean corals ha so good job. I think you should add a bunch of sailfin blennies(Emblemaria pandionis) (www.fishbase.org/summary/speciessummary.php?id=3718) and different types of mated gobies(green banded, tiger, red masked, trimma?) you could watch them all skip, scoot and dart around ^^ i hate that there is a clown in there though it ruins the awesome biotopeness

Cool tank! I live in PR so you know, I'm surrounded by this type of reefs and the beach is like 30 mins from me. This is a small island so you can really visit like 3-4 beaches same day. I vote for the school of blue chromis. At least 3 or 4. I see they run very pricey there but they are local here and very cheap! Like $3 each. You could also get some carpets, rics, sun coral, feather dusters, elkhorn coral and theres a variety of zoas and palys here. Another very nice Caribbean fish is red banded goby, royal gramma, red lip blenny, spanish hog, pigmy angel. Also You see here lots of coral banded shrimp and urchins. I'll be following this one! Nice tank. Very different

Cool tank! I live in PR so you know, I'm surrounded by this type of reefs and the beach is like 30 mins from me. This is a small island so you can really visit like 3-4 beaches same day. I vote for the school of blue chromis. At least 3 or 4. I see they run very pricey there but they are local here and very cheap! Like $3 each. You could also get some carpets, rics, sun coral, feather dusters, elkhorn coral and theres a variety of zoas and palys here. Another very nice Caribbean fish is red banded goby, royal gramma, red lip blenny, spanish hog, pigmy angel. Also You see here lots of coral banded shrimp and urchins. I'll be following this one! Nice tank. Very different

+1 to everything they just said.

Thanks for all your kind comments :D

UPDATE:

The phyto in the water is all gone so the tank is crystal clear. I trimmed up some of the macro algaes and needless to say, it looks awesome! I'll post pics either tonight or tomarrow :)

I had some time to snap some pics ;)

IMG_5952.jpg

IMG_5953.jpg

IMG_5954.jpg

IMG_5955.jpg

IMG_5956.jpg

IMG_5957.jpg

IMG_5958.jpg

IMG_5959.jpg

IMG_5960.jpg

IMG_5961.jpg

IMG_5962.jpg

IMG_5963.jpg

IMG_5944.jpg

IMG_5945-1.jpg

IMG_5946-1.jpg

IMG_5948.jpg

IMG_5949.jpg

IMG_5950.jpg

IMG_5951.jpg

IMG_5946.jpg

(sorry bout the blurry and dark pics, it is really clear and bright but my camera isn't that great)

if any of you guys have tips for me to tweak my camera with that would be great, my camera is a Canon PowerShot S2 IS ;)

Archived