SaltCritters.com

Cam's AGA 40br reef-flat

Cam198

youre tank is sooooo coool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i LOVE the reef flat concept, its freekin awesome! keep it up looks great!

:D

edit: just watched vid....you NEED a wavemaker (cycletimer is cheaper). if you had a cycletimer or wavemaker, your tank would totally pwn....jmo.

Thanks man! The wavemaker is in the process, I just need to find a powerhead that can tolerate turning on and off that doesn't cost me an arm and a leg, I have already found a suitable controller that will turn the pumps on and off from in intervals of 1sec.-20sec. I am for sure gonna get a wave maker on it though.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, I made up some plans for the wavemaker. it will consist of 3 maxijet powerheads faced at the front of the glass. They will all turn on at the same time for 4-5sec. then they will be off for 4-5 seconds. I'm hoping that that will create a wave-like pulse, your comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated :D

ILLISTRATION:

wavemakerplans.jpg

Thanks for the complements guys! My next buy will be to replace the crappy stock bulbs with 4 UVL AquaSun 10000K bulbs and 2 Giesemann Midday 6000k bulbs, I think these new bulbs will give the Gorgs and macroalgaes a more accurate spectrum to there natural environment plus the quality and intensity of the light will be spectacular :)

I thought I might as well show you the pics that inspired the aquascape and design of this tank.

11131868beBEeoHQsL_fs.jpg

135_o.jpg

1369TheChimneys.jpg

1372TheChimneys.jpg

2182380150012484370EbJqqZ_fs.jpg

2499232497_20349e4c1e.jpg

2567329350089127005auEWgU_fs.jpg

2674597894_fd2fde6e19_o.jpg

273146645KjnPxz_fs.jpg

2890453220095998150hFabze_fs.jpg

310768581lWVfLs_fs.jpg

31700010qkntDrdXxp_fs.jpg

354196074NwMySb_fs.jpg

365167369EOJIBd_fs.jpg

365167523FHeDeb_fs.jpg

36577527iVMZvo_fs.jpg

392344469ywarpg_fs.jpg

484390374nriCKW_fs.jpg

7504175-Copy.jpg

74736045FlUQdq_fs.jpg

7504225-Copy.jpg

73347365wsIMOy_fs.jpg

My next livestock purchase will be a couple good sized Venus Sea Fans :D

I think I've tracked down a venus sea fan at my LFS, it's a brownish color and it has the branching pattern that Gorgonia Ventalina has and I read that Gorgonia Ventalina can come in an orangish-brownish variety so hopefully its the real deal fingerscrossed

AdriftQuasar

This is definintely one of my new favorite tanks here on NR. I love that you are doing the best you can to mimic nature. Where have you been finding these wonderful inspirational pictures? I am very impressed with what you are doing with this tank. Great job!

Thanks for all your very kind comments :D Ok so I bought the Sea fan, and It has the exact branching structure that Gorgonia Flabellum has but it has a orangish reddish color, The fish store has been getting alot of caribbean fish shipments lately so I'm pretty sure that it is a rarer color form of G. Flabellum but only time will tell weather it is G. Flabellum or a non-photosynthetic gorg.

PIC

IMG_5810.jpg

This is definintely one of my new favorite tanks here on NR. I love that you are doing the best you can to mimic nature. Where have you been finding these wonderful inspirational pictures? I am very impressed with what you are doing with this tank. Great job!

I have been getting alot of my inspiration from http://www.oceanfootage.com/ They have tons of diving vids from different marine habitats, and I got the pics from Google image search

Well it turns out that this is not a caribbean species so I'll probably resell it at the fish store that I work at.

pismo_reefer

DUDE.....i thot that was one of the actual caribean flat photos.....i think youve achieved biotope status.

DUDE.....i thot that was one of the actual caribean flat photos.....i think youve achieved biotope status.

Lol, thanks!

If any of you guys know where I can get a caribbean purple sea fan that would be awesome and would help me greatly, cause I've been searching everywhere for one and I cant seem to find one :D

Well it seems that the DT's Phytoplankton has bred in the water so the water has a light green haze in it, so I put some carbon in the sump and pulled a little Chaeto from my NC12 and put it in the 40. It would be cool to have an endless source of phytoplankton in the water but it would probably become too dense.

GREEN PHYTO WATER PICS (the phyto in the water actually looks pretty cool)

IMG_5853.jpg

IMG_5852.jpg

I put the 10 tubes of super glue gel that I got yesterday for my birthday to work and totally re-arranged the whole thing and boy does it look awesome!! I'll post pics once it clears up.

UPDATE

The Sea Fan has healed over all the exposed skeleton that it had when i got it from the store, which is probably due to the recent phyto bloom lol!. All of the gorgs look fantastic since they have been moved. I'm keeping the phyto controlled with carbon in the sump. I think the phyto is actually making the tank look even more like the natural environment it gives it that ''hazed'' look which IMHO looks pretty cool. I pulled the frag rack out of the tank so it doesn't make the tank look ''Super Getto'' and moved the coral and clam into the NC12.

PICS

IMG_5854.jpg

IMG_5858.jpg

IMG_5859.jpg

IMG_5856.jpg

I'll post some better quality pics tonight when there's no glare :D

Awesome. I love this tank. Needs blue chromis, IMO.

That was what I was thinking! The only thing that was holding me back was the fact that they get 5'' long and I wasn't sure if that was too much. Overall I think that would be a truly awesome addition to my tank!

Yea, me too! Awesome job.

Archived