Top Shelf Aquatics

31g Acrylic AIO

coachfraley

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You've done an awesome job with this set-up. I was wondering if you could give details on the fuge light? I am a new owner of the AA33 and am looking for the best option to light the back. Thanks in advance.

coachfraley
You've done an awesome job with this set-up. I was wondering if you could give details on the fuge light? I am a new owner of the AA33 and am looking for the best option to light the back. Thanks in advance.

The fuge light is just a hacked up hood from a 2.5g acrylic mini-bow tank. They sell them at petco/petsmart, but you could easily find one on craigslist or on a local reef forum.

I just took off the hood and used a dremmel to cut it to fit. You can see in the pic, I cut a piece out of the back to create a lip for the light to rest on. I also cut a groove in the hood on the opposite side, so that it locks into place on the rim of the tank. Sorry for the poor explanation, I can take another pic if you want.

The hood accepts a 15 watt bulb, so it is perfect for the target 15 watt, 6500k cf bulb.

Just make sure the hood would fit right on your tank! I think my dimensions are a little different than the standard AA33.

BTW, thanks for the compliments!!!

Cool i think i got it. Also wondering how often the chiller is utilized? Ill be running a similar light fixture (TEK) and was hoping to get by without chilling the water.

coachfraley
Cool i think i got it. Also wondering how often the chiller is utilized? Ill be running a similar light fixture (TEK) and was hoping to get by without chilling the water.

Actually, it doesn't kick on in the winter. During the summer, I was OK with a fan blowing across the top, but I had to top off quite a bit. I bought the chiller before a vacation in the summer. That way, I didn't need someone at the house every day to top off.

So you would be fine without a chiller, you will just need to stay on top of it, or use an ATO.

coachfraley

For a while now, I have been getting more and more interested in branching forms of SPS, so I decided to rework my tank a little so that I can grow several different varieties. I sold my big green monti cap and my german blue digitata mother colony to make room.

I had some nice live rock in my fuge, so I stacked it in the middle to give more height to my rock pile. Then I moved my blue mille up as high as I could. I have two more SPS pieces that I am picking up on Thursday, a humilis and a really weird, SUPER hairy SPS that I am calling a shaggy stag for now. I am going to put both of those pieces up top, because they need more light than some of my others (I will move my german blue digitata down to make room).

Here is a picture of my tank right now:

31gupdate21.jpg

Here is a picture of my plan, with the corals labeled. The two that I need to pic up are labeled in yellow. The birdsnest is a "mobile" frag, because it is attached to the back wall with a magnet. Please let me know what you think of my plan! I am thinking about magnet mounting the humilis as well, just to give me more flexibility in the placement.

spsplan.jpg

coachfraley

Here is an update. I picked up the two corals I was planning on. I also picked up a superman montipora, and some other piece of SPS that I need to ID. Here is the FTS, along with some random shots:

FTS:

31gupdate22.jpg

One of my rics:

ricportrait.jpg

Superman Montipora...a little bleached out, hopefully it will rebound in my tank:

superman1.jpg

One of my hermits:

blueleghermit.jpg

Humilis:

humillis.jpg

Thanks for looking in!

Paleoreef103

I love the footprint of this tank. This tank is great. Sad to see the cap and the digi go, but it looks like you've got some stellar replacements!

coachfraley

Well, I got to watch my clownfish spawn yesterday! I can safely say that it was the coolest thing I have seen in my aquarium so far!

Unfortunately, I do not have a point and shoot to make an mpeg, but I did take some pics that came out OK.

Female laying eggs:
cfspawn4.jpg

Male fertilizing:
cfspawn2.jpg

Circling to do it again:
cfspawn3.jpg

coachfraley

Took some pics today.

My new, super hairy sps, don't know the exact name. Mounted on a magnet plug:
hairy1.jpg

Dragon eye zoas:
dezoas.jpg

Mixed palys:
mixedpalys.jpg

Pregnant skunk shrimp:
skunky.jpg

coachfraley

Picked up an ORA rose millipora. I really wish that ORA would move away from those plastic frag plugs they use. Those things are terrible. I had nowhere to put it in my tank. I ended up cutting the frag off the plug and attaching it to a piece of rubble.

Color looks a little brown in this shot, but it looks great in the tank!

rosemilli.jpg

coachfraley

Thanks for the compliments!

how is the Tunze 9002 working for you also what are you comments on the Current satellite fixture pros cons ect...

I am pleased with the Tunze, it is always pulling stuff out and needs almost no adjusting. This is my first skimmer however, so I don't have much to compare it to.

I am using the current nova extreme (older model with single reflector). It is working well for my setup, and I am getting good growth and colors on almost everything...but I have a feeling that a unit with individual reflectors would give my SPS growth a real boost. If I had the money, I would get a 6 bulb from catalina ($300), but for now, I am going to keep an eye out for a used 4x24 with ind. reflectors.

coachfraley

Added another millipora. Please excuse the aquamend:

pinkmille.jpg

Here is a FTS from today. The tank will be one year old at the end of the week!

31gupdate25.jpg

I ordered a frag rack from blackrock, that I am going to use to start fragging some of my pieces. I am also am planning on getting two led accents from the group buy in order to kick my colors up a notch.

I also photoshopped this projection for fun...Hopefully my tank will look like this in a year or so, lol.

31gprojection.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, I am going to take it slow. I might not even go with 100% in the end. I will probably just work it up to about 75%.

Yes Phixion, it is one of John's tanks. I haven't seen him around the forums at all...is he still making tanks?

Oh yes hes still making tanks. Check this out he made for me several days ago... Visit My Website

Simply amazing.. I can't wait to have it set up!

coachfraley

Oh yes hes still making tanks. Check this out he made for me several days ago... Visit My Website

Simply amazing.. I can't wait to have it set up!

Yes, I saw your thread all ready reefbox, that is a sweet tank. I have gotten a hold of John to say hello. I guess he is just staying off of the forums now. Might as well do an update while I am here...

FTS

31gupdate26.jpg

Side shot

lside2.jpg

Archived