Coral Vue Hydros

31g Acrylic AIO

coachfraley

coachfraley

I tried adding a redheaded goby, but it didn't go too well. As soon as I dropped him in the tank, my lonfin fairy wrasse beat the @##$ out of him. He escaped into the rocks, but I have only seen him one time since...and not at all today. It looked like my skunk shrimp was feasting on something deep in the rock pile, and my guess is that it was the goby. I guess I need to get something larger next time.

Some new shots:

Right Side shot:
newside.jpg

Goldstripe Maroon and Acropora Humillis:
maroonportrait2.jpg

Goldstripe Maroon with blue polyp montipora:
maroonportrait.jpg

Cross tank shot of Longfin Fairy Wrasse against Sunset Montipora:
longshotwrasse.jpg

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
coachfraley
Awesome tank shots! I really like the maroon clown too

Thanks! The clown had some split fins when I picked her up, but she seems to be doing better now.

coachfraley

After a lot of thought, I decided to re-scape my tank and take out all of the yumas. They were very pretty, but they reproduced way too fast and they were starting to wreak havoc on my other corals. I was at the point where I had them all on two rocks, but if I waited much longer, they would have spread over half of the tank.

So I broke the whole tank down, removed all of the yuma covered live rock and replaced it with eco-rock from BulkReefSupply (that I had been bucket curing for around 6 days).

The operation went smoothly and it gave me an opportunity to catch my royal gramma and take him to my LFS. I was tired of his "teenager" attitude...only coming out at meal times and then storming back to his room. So now I have two "spots" open in my stocking list, which I intend to fill with a yellow watchman goby and a blue reef chromis.

I really like the new scape, but it doesn't photograph really well. In person it looks cool because there is a drop-off in the front and a ton of caves in the rock. I posted pics on my local reef forum and I got boos...oh well.

BEFORE:
31gupdate37.jpg

AFTER, new aquascape:
31gupdate39.jpg

BTW, the shots taken above in post #126 were also taken after the re-scape

Reefs are always changing, it's part of the dynamics. Looking good Coach. Yeah I agree, teenagerish fish gots to go.

coachfraley

Thanks Knox!

Racer, I plan on adding zoas to the front "wall" so that it provides a lot of color. It is hard to see in the pic, but the top portion of the tank is already fully stocked with SPS, it just needs to grow and fill out.

What I like about the new scape, is that I should be able to grow a wall of zoas in the front, but still keep them from growing into the SPS area.

coachfraley

Well, so much for the maroon clown, lol. He turned out to be a major *&^%hole. Luckily they are easy to catch! I traded him in at my LFS for a randall's shrimp goby. I also picked up a fathead anthias. I know the anthias will be a challenge, but I am up for giving it a try. It is really one of the prettiest fish that I have ever seen. According to what I have researched here and other places, people have had success with them in tanks my size, as long as they have plenty of caves and good flow...and I have more than enough of both.

That leaves me with three fish for now. I might add another small peaceful fish later, but I am in no hurry. My first goal will be to get the fathead eating frozen foods. He is already eating live brine, so hopefully he will take to frozen mysis soon.

I will try to get pics of the fish tomorrow. Thanks for looking in!

coachfraley

Fathead is eating frozen mysis already! Very pleased with his progress so far, although he is still very shy.

coachfraley

Rastas just grew another polyp.

rastas.jpg

FTS...eco-rock is starting to color up some. Hopefully the purple corraline is not too far off.

31gupdate40.jpg

coachfraley

Everything is going well. I have noticed a big difference since I re-organized the rear of my tank and added a media rack. Even though I am feeding more, the water seems to be a lot cleaner and I am getting a lot less algae on the glass. The anthias is doing really well. He is spending a lot more time in the open now and he is starting to beg for food like every other fish I have owned, lol.

My next addition will be a B&W clown, bringing my stocking up to 4 fish. I ordered one through my LFS, hopefully it comes in this week.

The anthias:
sunburst1.jpg

Green Armagedon Palys:
armpalys.jpg

I had always thought that Anthias needed to be kept in groups of 3 or more, and that they were difficult to care for.

That's what's kept me from getting any, cause they're really beautiful fish.

Nice Palys.

What do you think it is about your aqauscape change that has caused less production of algae?

coachfraley
I had always thought that Anthias needed to be kept in groups of 3 or more, and that they were difficult to care for.

That's what's kept me from getting any, cause they're really beautiful fish.

Nice Palys.

What do you think it is about your aqauscape change that has caused less production of algae?

The fathead/sunbursts are quite different than the more common anthias. Their behavior is very similar to a royal gramma's. They dart in and out of rocks, while most other anthias are free swimmers. I think that is why you can get away with keeping them in a smaller tank. The nano fish guide has them listed as a 30g minimum tank size.

I am getting less algae because I added a media rack, and I am now running floss to collect all the crap before it enters my fuge. In the past, all the detritus was settling in rear of my tank.

Paleoreef103

That fathead anthias is amazing and I love the green armageddons. I'm surprised you didn't frag a piece of the confusa colony and start it away from the sunset monti. I dig the shape of the encrusted sunset and it makes me want to use some dead coral skeletons as bases for encrusting montis. Very nice. For my new tank I might steal that bulb combo.

How do you have the media rack and the fuge configured now, Coach?

Excellent question, I'd love to see a pic.

Also, is feeding once a day adequate for your Fathead Anthias?

How do the Anthias and Wrasse interact with each other?

I might be interested in getting one of these for my 30g tank.

coachfraley
That fathead anthias is amazing and I love the green armageddons. I'm surprised you didn't frag a piece of the confusa colony and start it away from the sunset monti. I dig the shape of the encrusted sunset and it makes me want to use some dead coral skeletons as bases for encrusting montis. Very nice. For my new tank I might steal that bulb combo.

I'm letting this play out because the shapes that are starting to emerge are amazing. When the sunset looks like it is about to win, I am going to frag the top off of the confusa so I have some left over. Thanks for the compliments!

How do you have the media rack and the fuge configured now, Coach?

I actually need to redo the rack because it is a little too high right now (the top "shelf" of the rack is about 4.5 inches below the water line). I have the carbon and GFO in media bags and they are resting on the top of the shelf. I have a thin sponge placed on top of that, then the floss on top of that.

Excellent question, I'd love to see a pic.

Also, is feeding once a day adequate for your Fathead Anthias?

How do the Anthias and Wrasse interact with each other?

I might be interested in getting one of these for my 30g tank.

I'll get a pic of the rack after I redo it. I'm feeding once a day right now, and I'll guess we'll see if it is adequate. The anthias and the wrasse actually get along great. It almost looks like they follow each other around a little bit...and they don't fight at all during feeding time. The wrasse is really getting on my nerves though, I tried to introduce a perc today and the wrasse has been literally beating the snot out of him. I have never had a problem with a fish picking on a clown, so I don't know how well they hold up to harassment. If anyone has any experience with this, please let me know.

As always, thanks for looking in!

from my understanding, your wrasse is not even the more aggressive type. that's weird it's picking on your clown :(

coachfraley
from my understanding, your wrasse is not even the more aggressive type. that's weird it's picking on your clown :(

That is what I thought!!! He is all over him though. Flashing his fins, crowding him, and even pecking him in the side. At least the clown gets to sleep easy until the lights come on tomorrow.

coachfraley

The wrasse is still being a jerk, but he has mellowed out a little. If he keeps it up, I think I am going to try and bottle trap him.

coachfraley

Well, the revolving door that is my stocking list continues to revolve. I caught the wrasse today and picked up two new fish...Now my stocking is as follows:

firefish, fathead anthias, tailspot blenny, perc clownfish

Hopefully all of them stick around for a while!

Archived