Cultivated Reef

RO/DI Systems

TriggerHappyDude

Most RO/DI systems (including the one you got) have an Auto Shut-Off device on them. Basically when you turn the water dispensing output off (usually via a ball valve) then after several seconds to a minute, the Auto Shut-Off valve will then automatically stop water from flowing through the membrane for water production.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TriggerHappyDude
I have the same unit....+1

Cool what kind of a container do you drain the good water into?

Got any pics you can share? I'm always fascinated by how people setup their RO/DI stuff.

I need inspiration...show me yours!

For me, I empty into a standard Home Depot 5g bucket. Works well and I've never had an issue of it leaching anything into the water after sitting for an amount of time. Here's my current RO/DI setup though. I have it mounted in my garage. Fortunately where I live, all new houses are required to have the main water line into the house first run through the garage with a hose bib attached and a stop valve on the line. Something about building and fire code. So it made it a snap for me to connect the RO/DI to it, and I didn't have to worry about having it under the kitchen sink. The only thing is the water pressure here isn't what ti was at my old apartment. Before I could fill a bucket in exactly 90 minutes. Now it takes almost 3 hours, twice the old time! :( Anyways, here's a pic of my setup...

RODI_setup.jpg

Just ordered mine. Thanks for the link. I was going to go buy one today for 219 plus tax, not including parts. No more lugging ro water from the store now! :D Now the only thing I need is a good ATO unit and I think I am set for a while! How is your tank coming trigger?

TriggerHappyDude
Just ordered mine. Thanks for the link. I was going to go buy one today for 219 plus tax, not including parts. No more lugging ro water from the store now! :D Now the only thing I need is a good ATO unit and I think I am set for a while! How is your tank coming trigger?

Go check out the build thread Ryan! I've added a few more things to my equipment list, but no water in the tank yet, taking it SLOW. I'm down to an ATO too, haven't decided if I want to pay $200 for the Tunze Osmolotar or invest that $200 into a ReefKeeper Elite ($490), and use it as my ATO?

Well that and I need sand/live rock/etc...go check the build out! Update yours too snooty!

For me, I empty into a standard Home Depot 5g bucket. Works well and I've never had an issue of it leaching anything into the water after sitting for an amount of time. Here's my current RO/DI setup though. I have it mounted in my garage. Fortunately where I live, all new houses are required to have the main water line into the house first run through the garage with a hose bib attached and a stop valve on the line. Something about building and fire code. So it made it a snap for me to connect the RO/DI to it, and I didn't have to worry about having it under the kitchen sink. The only thing is the water pressure here isn't what ti was at my old apartment. Before I could fill a bucket in exactly 90 minutes. Now it takes almost 3 hours, twice the old time! :( Anyways, here's a pic of my setup...

Thanks Phixion, thats a great setup. I have to do mine in the laundry room, which is good, because there is a sink and washing machine right there, all good for water products.

That'll be a good setup place then. :) Just Tee off the cold water line. Just be sure the water pressure is greater than like 50psi, or else it'll take forever to make water. I think mine is like 60psi and frankly too weak for my needs, not just the RO/DI unit, but in general. I have hose bibs on the side of the house that are straight off the water main that are like a full unregulated 120psi, but I'm pretty sure that'll be way too much for my RO/DI.

That'll be a good setup place then. :) Just Tee off the cold water line. Just be sure the water pressure is greater than like 50psi, or else it'll take forever to make water. I think mine is like 60psi and frankly too weak for my needs, not just the RO/DI unit, but in general. I have hose bibs on the side of the house that are straight off the water main that are like a full unregulated 120psi, but I'm pretty sure that'll be way too much for my RO/DI.

Phixion, I just purchased the same one you have from Filters Direct / Water General. So you dont have any complaints about the system??? Also when you say 60psi is too weak, how long is it taking your unit to make around 25 g of water under that psi??

How can you test the PSI before attaching the hose to your RO/DI unit?

Get a pressure gauge for your RO/DI.

K-man, I have ZERO complaints about the WaterGeneral as does about 99% of the people that have one. As for the pressure, it currently makes 5g of water in about 3 hours, so figure 15-16 hours for 25g... As I mentioned, I dunn what the psi of my old apartment was, but it was considerably more, I'm guessing maybe like 80psi... But the builders of my house told me the pressure regulator for the house (the black cylinder you see with the tag around it below the hose bib) is 60psi. :(

TriggerHappyDude

Is it safe to use a brass 2-way splitter in the laundry room, to hook up this RO/DI unit?

gilmour2waymodel13.jpg

Or should I buy a plastic one?

Is it safe to use a brass 2-way splitter in the laundry room, to hook up this RO/DI unit?

gilmour2waymodel13.jpg

Or should I buy a plastic one?

Brass has copper in it. While I'm not really sure that the unit WOULDN'T take any of that out prior to the end result, I think I'd err on the side of caution and use plastic. But, I'm paranoid...ask anyone. :P

Brass has copper in it. While I'm not really sure that the unit WOULDN'T take any of that out prior to the end result, I think I'd err on the side of caution and use plastic. But, I'm paranoid...ask anyone. :P

I'd agree, EXCEPT your delivery line is most likely copper in from the street anyways, so you're already screwed if your RO/DI isn't removing copper, lol! But Trigger, that brass one should be fine. I'd get that over plastic for the simple fact it'll be far more durable and less likely to break or fail. And that Tee is perfect!

I feel jipped, my WaterGeneral didn't have the free pressure gauge promotion when I got it! :angry:

Bastages, lol! :P

A thought occurred to me. You'll probably have pressure problems if you try to do laundry while you're making water. Something to keep an eye on.

A thought occurred to me. You'll probably have pressure problems if you try to do laundry while you're making water. Something to keep an eye on.

Indeed, I was going to elude to this, but I figured it was kinda an obvious thought. :P I guess nothing is too obvious in our hobby, lol!! But yeah, I figure at the most, your water production will take twice as long with the washer running, especially if your main pressure is low to begin with. I honestly wouldn't run both at the same time due to this.

so how many gallons do you guys flush through a new system before you start using the water in the tank?

I actually tested my first gallon and got 0TDS, so I used the first 5 gallons.Nothing bad happened, heck it was 0TDS. Only later did people tell me I still should have tossed the first 5-10 gallons. I still don't really understand why I'd waste 5-10 gallons of good water. :huh::D

Indeed, I was going to elude to this, but I figured it was kinda an obvious thought. :P I guess nothing is too obvious in our hobby, lol!! But yeah, I figure at the most, your water production will take twice as long with the washer running, especially if your main pressure is low to begin with. I honestly wouldn't run both at the same time due to this.

I wasn't sure I was going to post it either, because it does seem obvious, but I figure better safe than sorry.

Just ordered my filters and membrane frm air water and ice with 10% coupon code 00426 :)

great people answered my questions as I have well water and am going from using NSW to making my own

fast delivery, I live in FL. and they are outta FL. got my filters the next day so far so good I was so used to buying my water that it was a big step for me to decide to make my own lol

edit- forgot to add that the first day I put the new filters on 0 TDS and then the next day went to make more water and it was reading 13 TDS I then read somewhere to take the resin cartridge out and shake it as it creates channels(sp) and doesn't filter correctly when new..sure enough I did this and 0 TDS once again

neanderthalman
so how many gallons do you guys flush through a new system before you start using the water in the tank?

No idea. I just let mine run until I got down to 0TDS. Couldn't have been more than 2-3 gallons.

Oh, I've got the 5-stage 75GPD unit from BRS. Awesome. I've got about 100PSI, so I get a more than 75 GPD - about 80 mins to fill a 5gal jug.

i use this filter from abudant flow from ebay. it's $139 with free shipping. i use this for the tank and my home drinking water. works great. at 75 gpd it takes me about 2hours hours to fill a 5 gal jug. i should have paid the $10 difference and got the 100 gpd. but all in all they are good filters and they automatically send you reminders on when to replace your filters.

abundant water flow filters

neanderthalman
i use this filter from abudant flow from ebay. it's $139 with free shipping. i use this for the tank and my home drinking water. works great. at 75 gpd it takes me about 2hours hours to fill a 5 gal jug. i should have paid the $10 difference and got the 100 gpd. but all in all they are good filters and they automatically send you reminders on when to replace your filters.

abundant water flow filters

When you replace your RO membrane, just get the 100GPD membrane instead. Done.

TriggerHappyDude

Excellent posts here, following up with you all I will probably run the RO/DI unit at night when there is no wash going on, at least I'll remind my wife not to run it if I'm doing water. Are these things loud at all?

Any of you with Solana tanks, using a container of RO/DI water in your stand? If so what size is it?

I got a 12qt rubbermaid clear container...thing thats good enough?

Archived