Cultivated Reef

RO/DI Systems

TriggerHappyDude

TriggerHappyDude

Ok, well I think it was lost in the banter, but Post #86, I've asked to ID something that came with the RO/DI unit, and maybe I missed the answer but does anyone know?

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ok, well I think it was lost in the banter, but Post #86, I've asked to ID something that came with the RO/DI unit, and maybe I missed the answer but does anyone know?

Did those come with the inline TDS meter, or the RO/DI unit? They look like connectors for tubing.

You spent $175 on that when you could have had a much superior unit for $169? I would not call them friends if they steered you in that direction.

In all seriousness, compare the Water General unit to the Buckeye Premium 75 and tell me which is the better value? Which one uses a Dow Filmtec membrane? Which one uses a 1 micron prefilter? Which one uses a 0.6 micron 20,000 gallon carbon block? Which one includes an inline pressure gauge all the time and not just as a promotion? Which one has a true vertical 20 oz DI filter? Which one includes an RO bypass valve? Which one includes a HM Digital TDS 3 handheld TDS meter?

Come on get serious.

You spent $175 on that when you could have had a much superior unit for $169? I would not call them friends if they steered you in that direction.

In all seriousness, compare the Water General unit to the Buckeye Premium 75 and tell me which is the better value? Which one uses a Dow Filmtec membrane? Which one uses a 1 micron prefilter? Which one uses a 0.6 micron 20,000 gallon carbon block? Which one includes an inline pressure gauge all the time and not just as a promotion? Which one has a true vertical 20 oz DI filter? Which one includes an RO bypass valve? Which one includes a HM Digital TDS 3 handheld TDS meter?

Come on get serious.

Why are you so butt-hurt that he didn't buy the unit you think he should have? You're no longer contributing anything helpful here.

I get butt hurt when people recommend mediocre systems when there are much better available for just a little more. WE go out of our way to recommend good lighting, good filtration, good substrate and rock but its OK to recommend an inefficient RO? Why is that OK? Talk to someone local to youyself who owns a Spectrapure or other high quality system and let them tel you its virtues if you don't believe me.

Probably because he didn't make a sale/comission. :lol:

Look AZ, for being as wise you claim to be, you go about it ALL wrong.

Don't dog the WaterGeneral just because it's cheaper in price and sells better. Just say "hey Triggerdude, check out this system here and compare prices...." That's all you gotta do. None of that "Well the WaterGeneral system isn't a REAL system, oh but I'm here to tell you about the Buckeye System AFTER you bought yours, because I came in here too late..." You did come too late, so save the Buckeye pitch for someone that hasn't bought a system yet, not for someone that already got something.

Common sense here bro!

I get butt hurt when people recommend mediocre systems when there are much better available for just a little more. WE go out of our way to recommend good lighting, good filtration, good substrate and rock but its OK to recommend an inefficient RO? Why is that OK? Talk to someone local to youyself who owns a Spectrapure or other high quality system and let them tel you its virtues if you don't believe me.

Mediocre?? they both do the SAME damn thing and yield the SAME damn results, what part of that is so hard to comprehend?? Both mine and Scott's gave us 0 TDS water for a whole year, I know people with more flashy name brand units that started having the TDS rise in less time. You call that better?? I think you need to learn some math if that's the case.

Seriously, you act like we told him to go out and get a Nano Fission skimmer... :rolleyes:

TriggerHappyDude
Did those come with the inline TDS meter, or the RO/DI unit? They look like connectors for tubing.

Yeah it might have, is it something I need to put on the meter ends?

Can you get me a full refund and pay my shipping to send it back?

If so then I'll get your suggested unit. Right now I'm fine.

I did a google search on "Buckeye Premium 75" it didn't find it.

I checked out the Spectrapure systems, $250-$1700 price ranges...

Scott Riemer

Your arrogance is overwhelming. I honestly think your trying to convince yourself, not us. You've spewed numbers all over this thread and made claims that are not substantiated by mine or Matt's personal experience with the WG. I have personally recommended this unit, again based on personal experience, to many other reefers here and not once has somebody PM'd me and said they were sorry they bought it. So, I'm not planning to stop recommending it any time soon. You have vehemently tried to sell a unit that in your own words you said you would never use since you're purely a Spectrapure elitist. You're still trying to sell it to someone who has already purchased something else. Truly, I have to wonder what's in it for you?

Maybe you just need to tell yourself it's better to justify paying more, I don't know. I know if I spent 3X more on a unit, I'd expect 3X purer water. Oh wait, 3 X 0 still equals 0.

deepdvnarq do not get the Dow 100 GPD membrane no matter what you do. It is only 90% rejection compared to the 75 GPD at 98% rejection, huge difference!

DI costs and life will eat you up if you make much water. A very accurate rule of thumb says for every 2% loss of rejection or removal efficiency you cut the DI resin life in HALF. With a 8% difference in rejection rate DI won't last worth a hoot. If the 100 GPD membrane is from GE Water or Applied it is OK but is actually almost identical to the Dow 75 GPD. The difference is Dow says their 75 GPD produces 75 GPD at 77 degrees F water temp and only 50 psi incoming pressure. GE Water (Osmonics) and Applied Membranes on the other hand say their 100 GPD produces 100 GPD at the same 77 degrees F but it takes 65 psi to do so. Lay the graphs over each other and you see the 75 GPD Dow makes 75 at 50 psi, 90 GPD at 60 psi and 100 GPD at 65 psi. The GE and Applied are the very same 75 at 50, 90 at 60 and their magic 100 at 65 psi. same difference.

thanks i'll stay with the one i got then. i just bought more containers!

Your arrogance is overwhelming. I honestly think your trying to convince yourself, not us. You've spewed numbers all over this thread and made claims that are not substantiated by mine or Matt's personal experience with the WG. I have personally recommended this unit, again based on personal experience, to many other reefers here and not once has somebody PM'd me and said they were sorry they bought it. So, I'm not planning to stop recommending it any time soon. You have vehemently tried to sell a unit that in your own words you said you would never use since you're purely a Spectrapure elitist. You're still trying to sell it to someone who has already purchased something else. Truly, I have to wonder what's in it for you?

Maybe you just need to tell yourself it's better to justify paying more, I don't know. I know if I spent 3X more on a unit, I'd expect 3X purer water. Oh wait, 3 X 0 still equals 0.

I honestly try to stay cool on this site and dont really get into ripping people, but im going to have to ride the same bandwagon as scott and phix here.

seriously?

0 tds is 0 tds.....

a quick comment like "hey check unit x" or since you already have yours.. good for you.. at least you were smart enough to buy some form of RO unit"

that would have been totally sufficient. The dude had already bought one.. and even if you wanted to spout the virtues of a different unit that's cool too.. ONCE.. not over and over and over..

Please MOVE ON!

• 2 weeks later...
TriggerHappyDude

I would like to start talking about RO/DI water again, NICELY, but more on the storage topic...

I'm trying to figure out a good way for me to store water, automate it in a way, if possible to where the storage tanks/tubs are always full, and easy to get the water from the storage to say my 5 gallon water changing buckets etc...

So here are some EARLY ides...for storage...I don't want some 55 gallon barrel out in my garage.

Where I would put the bigger ~30 gallon storage would be right outside my laundry room door, out in the garage...so I bought a Brute 32 gallon, with wheels, and its nice and all, but where I filled it up, which is inside my laundry room, is not going to be its permanent home. I need to drill a hole and run the tubing out to the garage (just outside the laundry room) to this Brute or another storage barrel.

Like this one...

http://www.bayteccontainers.com/rcwb30.html

Which then I could add a faucet to it like this, to drain into my 5 gallon buckets...

http://site.bayteccontainers.com/image/flo...baytec-3165.jpg

Should I also have them put the bulk head like this on it? So I can take the RO/DI tube nicely into the barrel?

http://site.bayteccontainers.com/image/bul...ytec-316404.jpg

Hopefully this gives you the picture of what I'm trying to accomplish?

Then I would need to run a float switch or shut off valve so I never over flowed the barrel...?

How do those work?

I've been using the water general for 11 months and it's been solid for me as well. I bought it because of the recommendations from this site and it was a good choice.

Trigger, what about getting the float device that Watergeneral sells? It basically will stop the water production into the container of choice once it's full, working itself off the ASOV.

TriggerHappyDude
Trigger, what about getting the float device that Watergeneral sells? It basically will stop the water production into the container of choice once it's full, working itself off the ASOV.

Ahhh yeah! I didn't know they had one! Got a link! Man you're awesome!

Well when the float is in the "off" position, it'll cause the ASOV to shut off the water production somehow. I'm not sure how it works, but I know it activates the ASOV. But yeah, that's the item I was suggesting. :)

TriggerHappyDude
Well when the float is in the "off" position, it'll cause the ASOV to shut off the water production somehow. I'm not sure how it works, but I know it activates the ASOV. But yeah, that's the item I was suggesting. :)

Do I buy just one of these or do I need to buy more hose or some wire, I guess it comes with everything I need to set up?

Right now I have a Brute, haven't decided if I"m keeping it or going with a barrel, but which float switch should I get a side mount or top mount?

Did someone say Water General? :lol:

:D

Archived