Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

RO/DI Systems

TriggerHappyDude

TriggerHappyDude

I've tried some simple searches for RO/DI units and have not had good luck finding any threads with suggestions, so I'm staring this thread to get some feedback from you all on what RO/DI equipment you all use in your home for water changes and mixing salt.

I'd like to try to stay around the $150 price point for an RO/DI unit, just not sure of the many brands out there which ones work well, and which ones to avoid?

I plan to install it in my laundry room, and split the cold water line of my washer with the unit.

So any suggestions would be welcomed!

Thank you all for the support.

How about this one as a starter?

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got a Mighty-Mite countertop RO/DI from AirWaterIce.com and I have been very happy with it.

I have also been very happy with my experiences with AirWaterIce as a company.

Make sure that you get a TDS meter when you get your RO/DI. I have a handheld one that I really like.

AirWaterIce has an RO/DI for around $149 that comes with a TDS meter and has one extra carbon cartridge than my Mighty Mite. Can't remember the name of it, but that might work well for your purposes.

Mercuryne uses it.

TriggerHappyDude

Hard to argue with Scott, when he suggests something!

Did you purchase any of the additional equipment for it? (TDS guage, adapters, etc)

TriggerHappyDude

Ok, thats what I was planning on purchasing too. Glad I'm on a semi rigtht track.

This will be my very first time to deal with an RO/DI system, how should I handle the setup?

I know you hook it up to your cold water tap with a splitter in the laundry room. Then the water goes through the unit slowly (110/gpd), and out into a container of choice, until turned off? Is that right?

So if I wanted to protect myself from a flood, I'd need a stop float in the container of choice?

I've seen people with big BRUTE containers that they store their water in, and some with smaller tubs.

I don't have a lot of room in the laundry room, I do have a big deep sink next to the washer, so I could have a medium sized container in there and if there was a flood, it would drain down the sink.

What do you all do?

I live in SoCal so I just take my unit out to the hose spigot and make water. That way I water the planters with the waste water and if my container overflows, it's no big deal. This make my unit completely portable.

If your sink will hold the container (5X8=40ish lbs.), then I'd just do it in there. You could also fill your washer with the waste water but I'm not sure if this will have any effect on you laundry.

TriggerHappyDude

Well Scott, these TDS meters now are bringing the price up from $132 to like $180 or more?

Did you get one of these?

TDS Guages

I'll go look at Weeties AirWaterIce units too.

I got a Mighty-Mite countertop RO/DI from AirWaterIce.com and I have been very happy with it.

I have also been very happy with my experiences with AirWaterIce as a company.

+1 on the mighty mite. Love mine.

TriggerHappyDude
This One

You can find them cheaper on ebay though.

Ok, that was ebay link you sent? $24 isn't bad for a TDS Meter.

Unless I end up getting one that comes with the RO/DI unit?

The Mighty Mite is looking more like my style, small, I don't plan to do a lot of water, only have a 34 gallon tank, so 4 gallon water changes a week? 5 maybe with ATO?

$132 + $24 isn't bad, I could swing that. For your RO/DI unit and TDS meter, oh and hose adapter, $8 = $164 that is a very good price for all that! How acn I make multiple purchases, so I don't get charged for multiple shipping from this place?

TriggerHappyDude

Ok thanks guys for all the information. I'll continue to research, but right now the Filter Direct Store unit is looking like the best value. More bang for my buck. I appreciate the quick responses and info!

Ok, that was ebay link you sent? $24 isn't bad for a TDS Meter.

Unless I end up getting one that comes with the RO/DI unit?

The Mighty Mite is looking more like my style, small, I don't plan to do a lot of water, only have a 34 gallon tank, so 4 gallon water changes a week? 5 maybe with ATO?

$132 + $24 isn't bad, I could swing that. For your RO/DI unit and TDS meter, oh and hose adapter, $8 = $164 that is a very good price for all that! How acn I make multiple purchases, so I don't get charged for multiple shipping from this place?

I would send them a message through ebay and ask them how to get it all on one order. It looks like they have free shipping on the RO/DI so they should just throw the TDS meter in the box. I would suggest paying a few dollars more and getting the dual in-line model DM-1. The handheld is OK, but the only thing I ever used it for was to check my output water. The in-line is more convenient because it is right there and you don't have to get it out, dip it, wipe it off, etc. Just my $.02

Another option These guys are great as well. I like this unit a little better because it has a built in pressure gauge on the input side of the RO membrane so you can be sure you are getting the proper pressure to the membrane. They also included a faucet or hosebib adapter. I would suggest the faucet adapter since you are hooking it up to your laundry room sink. They also sell the in-line TDS meter in their store. Looks like you could get the whole setup with the TDS meter for $167 shipped.

TriggerHappyDude

Well I already commited to buy the other brand. So too late for the other brand.

Actually the RO/DI unit comes with this for FREE.

1f_1_b.JPG

So I just need this TDS meter?

a4_1_b.JPG

Well I already commited to buy the other brand. So too late for the other brand.

Actually the RO/DI unit comes with this for FREE.

1f_1_b.JPG

So I just need this TDS meter?

a4_1_b.JPG

Yep, that should be it!

Either the Typhoon5, Mighty Mite with DI, or the WaterGeneral that Scott mentioned would all serve you equally as well. I have the same RO/DI unit that Scott has and linked to, and I love it!! B) Really the best bang for the buck, and has great components. Took almost a year before the TDS came off from O.

TriggerHappyDude
Either the Typhoon5, Mighty Mite with DI, or the WaterGeneral that Scott mentioned would all serve you equally as well. I have the same RO/DI unit that Scott has and linked to, and I love it!! B) Really the best bang for the buck, and has great components. Took almost a year before the TDS came off from O.

That reminds me, I need to ask how to use this thing or what to expect from it.

So I shouldn't see TDS levels at 0 for a year?

That reminds me, I need to ask how to use this thing or what to expect from it.

So I shouldn't see TDS levels at 0 for a year?

Too many factors to consider like what your current TDS going in is.

Guess I was just trying to figure out what Phixion meant by...

He got 0 TDS for an entire year. I got it for 18 months and my tap TDS is crazy high. But, it all depends how much water you make, pressure, temperature, and ingoing water quality.

TriggerHappyDude

Ok, got it, I read it all wrong. Sorry.

I'm all set! $175 for the 6-stage 110 gal/day Reverse Osmosis Water System+2DI filters, Garden Hose adapter, and M-1 Inline Dual TDS Water Quality Monitor Meter Tester. Not bad?

This might be a dumb question, but remember I've never seen on in real life...is there an ON/OFF button or does it just work when water is running into it?

Man I think a 6 stage is overkill really, but doesnt hurt to go bigger and better. I have a 4 stage and only get 2ppm of TDS coming out of my membrane going into the DI then the DI filters out the remaining 2pmm. It all depends on your water quality gong into the unit if your water is really bad then I guess you would want a 6 stage.

There is no on/off switch so to speak the unit works from water pressure. You hook the hose up to a water source like a sink and the water pressure forces it through the unit. In some cases peoples water pressure is really weak and they need to add a pump to add water pressure. Usually anything between 40-60 PSI is fine to run most units.

TriggerHappyDude
Man I think a 6 stage is overkill really, but doesnt hurt to go bigger and better. I have a 4 stage and only get 2ppm of TDS coming out of my membrane going into the DI then the DI filters out the remaining 2pmm. It all depends on your water quality gong into the unit if your water is really bad then I guess you would want a 6 stage.

There is no on/off switch so to speak the unit works from water pressure. You hook the hose up to a water source like a sink and the water pressure forces it through the unit. In some cases peoples water pressure is really weak and they need to add a pump to add water pressure. Usually anything between 40-60 PSI is fine to run most units.

Well I've kind of overkilled this entire build, assuming that one day I will be upgrading the size of my tank.

Right now I'm a 34gallon Solana, but the rest is all "bigger" stuff. So I can grow with my equipment and not have to purchase that much new stuff.

Archived