Innovative Marine Aquariums

Vitamin C Dosing

evilc66

i stopped dosing both vit c and vodka. I back to just skimming, gfo and carbon. I did make my own simplicity media reactor for gfo for $10. I many do the vodka again. I do still dose amino acids and 2-part.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Propagator

Did you get color loss in your acropora as well with the C ?

Frankly I am pizzed as hell that some one would even recommend this crap after my experimenting with it.

For zoanthids in a separate system.. absolutely. For a mixed reef with SPS ? Never again not even on a bet.

Yea i did get some bleaching. Also a LFS owner lost alot of his sps overnight from the Vit C dosing. I did notice improvement in my lps and softies, but with alot of sps and valuable at that its not worth it. WCs, 2-part, gfo and carbon for me.

The Propagator

I am disappointed they all push it for sps as well. Clearly in my case it only hurt them.

If you do I would almost bet you will have bleaching or color loss in general.

The only coral I have not noticed slight color loss in today after dosing that crap yesterday is the green digitata. It has greened up a little more but who gives a rats about a green digitata ? What about the countless $$ in all the other sps that have been negatively effected.

Never ever again..........

Did you get color loss in your acropora as well with the C ?

Frankly I am pizzed as hell that some one would even recommend this crap after my experimenting with it.

For zoanthids in a separate system.. absolutely. For a mixed reef with SPS ? Never again not even on a bet.

clearly you have been dosing to much or doing something wrong..I have been doing VitC for over 2months now and Vodka for a month and everything I have is better in color, polyps open larger and not one thing in my tank seems to be doing worse from it. I have mixed but its more mainly SPS frags right now. and they are doing awesome..color and encrusting growth. That includea Red Planet, Aquadelight, Purple Plasma, Pink Lemonade, pearlBerry, Pink lavender, unknown blue stag, tricolor

The Propagator

Dude all I can tell you is that I swear to God I dosed 1/4 teaspoon for my 100g total volume ( not the size of the tank ) system. I did it the night before after lights out because they all said Vitamin C is taken up better at night because it oxidizes during lights on rapidly. I did not dose anything else. Just the C. The following morning when the lights came on. color loss on just about every thing. Its pretty evident what it cause din my system. If it works for you great, I hope it continues to and I hope your coral thrives like it is doing now.

But we shouldn't be pushing this stuff as a miracle cure for all coral when clearly it can have devastating effects. The dosage I used was half of the recommended starting dosage given in this thread a few pages back.

No one could foresee this and I don't blame any one but me for trying it again but we need to make it clear this can happen very easily, and you just never know to who.

Truthfully now.. when you 1st started dosing it did you notice any color loss at all in your acropora ?

People have reported it quite often aside from me so I know I am not the only one its happening to.

Even a good friend told me it did it to him as well when he 1st started to dose it so he stopped.

Is there a lightening stage you have to get past or what?

I dose the sale amount in my tank twice a day..1/4tsp

I didnt notice any color loss everything has been just getting better looking in color and better polyp extension.

I dose mine when i turn lights on..and right before lights out

The Propagator

I'm an idiot.

Its not the C doing it. OX you are right.

I did my usual multimeter check last night while trying to run down an electrical problem I thought I had in house has been making my electronic ballasts go nuts. Well the second I hooked it up it read 135 volts. which normally wouldn't set off any alarms because it could have been a momentary spike. But it kept slowly rising ! It topped out at 206 volts ! TWO HUNDRED AND SIX VOLTS I SAID !! On a residential 120V wall receptacle man ! I did some checking and every outlet on the house is juiced up the same amount.

That can only mean something in the local circuitry ( or micro grid or what ever they call it ) on my street of in the same circuit is about to have a bad day. and if they don't fix it pronto a lot of people will be having a bad day because I can see that causing a lot of fires. Most of the homes in my village are 80 years old. Some still have the aluminum wiring and 60 amp services ! Thank God mine is 100 amp with 200 at the box !

Any ways to make along story short I had to rais my fixture and extra FOOT off of the water surface because the ballasts were over driving the bulbs so bad it looked like 2 x 400watt 10K Iwasaki's over the tank instead of 2 x 250 watt 14K ! There is no doubt I just didn't notice the extra brightness the other day and blamed the fading on the C. Bu tin reality I think it is most definitely due to the over driven bulbs shocking the sheet out of my stock ! :(

Man I bet that service is so frucked up right now with harmonic distortion the sine wave would look like look like a seismograph reading ! That alone would fruck up electronic ballasts let alone the extra voltage as well !

I have to wait until 8 to call the power company but you can bet you xrunner I will be though ! LOL!

I am seriously worried about fire now :(

Ok... im done now :P .

/ rant and thread jack

• 1 month later...

I'm gonna be trying this technique soon. Man Prop, I would have never guessed overvoltage being the ultimate source of the bleaching problem.

• 6 months later...

The kindof vitamin c you guys are ordering has sodium in it and will jack up your salintiy like madness... after 2 days of using it my salinity jumped 2 points... try to find a vita c without sodium...

Archived