Coral Vue Hydros

Vitamin C Dosing

evilc66

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Prop, why do you recommend dosing the Vitamin-C twice daily? I've been dosing mine around the same time every day (20ppm) and have had great results with some of my corals coloring up nicely and super low nutrients. The only problem I've noticed is my green button polyps are now splotchy green and brown instead of solid green, but I think my anemone may of stung them.

Vitamin C has a very short life once mixed with water which is why many do it twice a day. IIRC it's only present in the water for 3-4 hours after dosed.

how do you measure mg (which i assume is miligrams). I tried looking on ask.com to convert milligrams into teaspoons and it is not possible. My total water volume is 29 gallons, so if your saying multiply that by 19 that would be 551 milligrams, but how much is that?

That would be 1/2 of 1/4 tsp (or 1/8 tsp if you have one).

This stuff has made my skimmer go nuts on my 33g. Only mushrooms in there so I'm only gonna do it two weeks on that tank to see if it helps my shrooms (as if they need any help) :lol:

That would be 1/2 of 1/4 tsp (or 1/8 tsp if you have one).

This stuff has made my skimmer go nuts on my 33g. Only mushrooms in there so I'm only gonna do it two weeks on that tank to see if it helps my shrooms (as if they need any help) :lol:

Gone nuts in terms of increased skimmate production? Or something bad?

The Propagator
Prop, why do you recommend dosing the Vitamin-C twice daily? I've been dosing mine around the same time every day (20ppm) and have had great results with some of my corals coloring up nicely and super low nutrients. The only problem I've noticed is my green button polyps are now splotchy green and brown instead of solid green, but I think my anemone may of stung them.

I don't. I just followed the chart some one else suggested only I stopped at 15ppm after noticing problems at 20ppm. This is new for me as well. If you look back in the start of the thread I said this peaked my interest and went out to buy and try. ;)

I dosed twice via pill form and noticed problems so I did a big water change and went to dosing Vit C powder from Whole foods. " Solaray Vitamin C powder as ascorbic acid " @ 5000 mg per teaspoon.

I think if you all are having success with ascorBATE powder then My follies were crapy.. but not for nothing. Now some one else will read this some where in the states or another country and hopefully see that I used both pill form and ascorbic acid and had crap luck and they wont use it base don the results. Sooo I guess I consider my self the self appointed guinea pig on this for a good cause. Now it puts to rest any questions at all about the ascorbic powder or pill form. DO NOT USE THEM !

You get slime on your pads from the celulose in the pill form which the sps dont like, and I think the ascorbic acid burns the snot out of them because it is ascorbic acid and not ascorBATE acid.

Learn from my mistake my young padawans !

Listen to the popular vote the 1st time !

:P

It definitelyt is not from low nutrient levels. I feed the holy snot out of my tanks at least 4 times a week. I have monster skimmers on both of my larger frag systems but I feed heavily as well. It was 100% from the pills, and ascorbic acid. USE ASCORBATE !! :D

Its skimming the bacteria that the V-C or Vodka feed.

Personally I think its the alcohol killing off bacteria and making it look like the skimmer is miraculously skimming better. Its really not, there is just more dead sheet to skim out.

• 2 weeks later...
The Propagator
URU383 If you order from iHerb, use my referral code. You save $5 on your first order and I get some credit :)

Just ordered and used you're code Cliff'eh ;)

So far so good for me. Not seeing any major changes in growth, but colors are great, everything is healthy, and algea is in check. I'm only dosing 10ppm though.

BKtomodachi
Its skimming the bacteria that the V-C or Vodka feed.

Its probably an increase in bacterial metabolism producing more waste into the water column- no the bacteria themselves.

Also, on the ascorbate vs. ascorbic acid- I am fairly certain they are the same thing, right?

(2R)-2-[(1S)-1,2-dihydroxyethyl]-4,5-dihydroxy-furan-3-one

:huh:

Personally I think its the alcohol killing off bacteria and making it look like the skimmer is miraculously skimming better. Its really not, there is just more dead sheet to skim out.

ethanol dosing with proper dosages will not harm bacterial populations at all.

I guess. The Nutribiotic sodium ascorbate that everyone gets is buffered to 7.1. I have seen some of the ascorbic acids that people mistakenly get have a ph of as low as 4. The pills are like this and is one reason why they are not recommended.

clifford513

I have stayed with a dosage of 5ppm. My zoas have stopped declining, better color, and some have shown some growth. This is much better than the withering away I was seeing prior.

Tell me about it. It's almost heatbreaking to see them dissapear into nothing and there isn't anything you can do :( At least there is some hope now :)

Same good results here with my zoas, melting has certainly decreased. I'm finding that carbon dosing is a very delicate balance though. I went too heavy for a while on the VC. Zoas and LPS looked great and my nasty Caulerpa started to die but my SPS got real pale. So, I started to increase my feeding to get my SPS colors back. That seems to be working but the Caulerpa is now back on the move and I get some diatoms blooms. Still searching for the sweet spot but overall I'm much happier since I started dosing VC.

• 3 weeks later...
The Propagator

Update on the Vitamin C effects on acropora.

Dont us eit if you have acropora or sps ion general. Just kiss your zoanthids buy, wait until your system clears its self of what ever was killing them and start over with the zoanthids later.

It is with out a doubt a bunch of bull sheet that Vitamin C doesnt bleach your sps.

I performed a major water change and didnt dose any for almost a month. The color started comming back.

I thought.. well maybe it was some thing else and the water change too care of it ?

So I doses 2000mg last night. Today all of my sps are some what faded.

I am so pizzed off right now that people are pushing vitamin C as a wonder drug for all types of coral that I cant stand it.

It simply doesnt do anything but hurt most sps period.

Archived