inTank Media Baskets

Vitamin C Dosing

evilc66

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Prop - I did a quick check and the Ascorbic Acid is Vit. C with a pH of 2.5-3, while Sodium Ascorbate is alkaline-type of Vit. C with pH of 7.5-7.8. Wouldn't recommend you use the Acid.

The Propagator

Meh I did any way LOL!

Only dropped about .2 or less that I could tell directly after using it then bounced back a couple hours later.

So I guess the best advice I would give some one is to dose this as you would dose unbaked baking soda.

Well after lights on.

Of course we have to remember that size matters here though too.

IE small changes = bigger pros and cons in a small system versus my 100 g systems.

I am giving it a try..I bought Marine C...i know its probably not as strong as the powder stuff but I am not trying to fix anything in the tank..just adding some for supplement and overall health

I am glad to say that I am seeing good results from this. The zoa colony that was getting taken over by fungus is making a comeback. more and more polyps are breaking through the crusty crap and opening. After seeing a few colonies dissapear the same way, these would have been goners without the vit c. I have been caustios to not use very high doses as I'm still using the pills, but I'm at 10ppm and seeing suitable results.

Got mine today and added the first dose. Tell me whether this is correct...I added approximately 57 mg for 3g but I want to be sure I figured correctly. That is approximate because it was hard to perfectly divide a half tsp by 19. Maybe just hope, but it looks like the tiny, new anthelia is extended better already and some of the afflicted zoas have already opened just a bit. I will take pics and post them here to catalog any progress (or lack of).

The Propagator

And dont follow that chart all the way up to the max dose given.

In fact stay at about 15 ppm max. I went up to 20 and my montis are bleaching badly now :(

WHEETY WAS RIGHT !!!

:(

Sorry to hear that Prop. Thanks for the confirmation evil.

I also used FE on this tank because flatworms were climbing all over my zoas. That was on Monday. No sign of flatworms in the past couple of days fingerscrossed

In fact stay at about 15 ppm max. I went up to 20 and my montis are bleaching badly now :(

WHEETY WAS RIGHT !!!

Right about what?

I don't really know much about this, I've just asked a question or two and been following along.

Sorry to hear that Prop, hope you can get them to color up again before too long.

You gonna stop dosing?

Do you think they bleached due to Ph issues from the type of Vit. C you're using?

:mellow:

Yeah, I was just passing on something I read.

Never tried this myself.

Cliffy, what kinda problems are you having with zoas?

Is it in T's tank? :(

Cliffy, what kinda problems are you having with zoas?

Is it in T's tank? :(

Yes. Some are doing great but others that previously had shown great growth have been closed up tight and in a couple cases even lost polyps. I did lugol dips on all frags three days in a row and most have shown improvement. I think it is mostly a case of them adjusting to the 70w mh after being under a 13w cf for a time. That and stress from traveling to and from the frag swap and being placed in a freshly set up tank. We haven't lost anything though :) The micro Susan slipped in my bag has colored up some and produced a new, tiny mouth with feeding tents. Also, I added another tiger goby and these little guys are constantly crawling across everything. I may end up putting them in my 33g as we really want this to be a nice zoa tank. The mini has almost doubled in size and seems unaffected by anything, dips included.

WHEETY WAS RIGHT !!!

Using the Acid vs. the Acsorbate in your tank is making me nervous. The favia I got from you is too nice to think of you losing your other frags. The pills are generally not pure and the PH swing is troublesome. Have you ordered the Acsorbate ?

On SPS doing poorly. As I'm now 9 weeks in or so, I don't believe that's from the C but instead lowered nutrient levels. At least it is for me. I started dosing AA and feeding a TON more than I normally would and my SPS are coloring back up slowly.

So im a little confused here. How do you dose 5ppm? Do you disolve C in water? Usually with stuff thats made for aquarium it tells you on the label how much to disolve, but since this is something else, I dont get how much to disolve in how much water to get such a result as 5ppm?

Prop, why do you recommend dosing the Vitamin-C twice daily? I've been dosing mine around the same time every day (20ppm) and have had great results with some of my corals coloring up nicely and super low nutrients. The only problem I've noticed is my green button polyps are now splotchy green and brown instead of solid green, but I think my anemone may of stung them.

On my container it says 1112mg / 1/4 tsp. 19mg/gal is 5ppm (roughly). Just multiply your water volume by 19 and that will give you the total mg needed per your application.

On my container it says 1112mg / 1/4 tsp. 19mg/gal is 5ppm (roughly). Just multiply your water volume by 19 and that will give you the total mg needed per your application.

how do you measure mg (which i assume is miligrams). I tried looking on ask.com to convert milligrams into teaspoons and it is not possible. My total water volume is 29 gallons, so if your saying multiply that by 19 that would be 551 milligrams, but how much is that?

the issue with the vit C and sps is that is can cause burnt tips. I have only been dosing 5ppm and I add it to my sump. Yes the lower nutrients will affect your sps also, so you need to increase feed to make up for it.

did you keep an eye on your ph and alk lvls while dosing. That is a big part of it.

It's the thing I'm afraid of, it's a fun project if we can manage to monitor our system and have different experiments.

but it's a challenge to me personally, adding more chemicals and imbalance the tank environments, which mean more trouble management to me... if I need to be out of town for a few days, stop dosing V.C. and without monitor and balance parameters, it changes again... it's just not for me

In my thinking, I'll stay the most possible natual way, my system only with calcium reactor and using natural ocean water with regular water change, skip one water change won't hurt that much, and everything is still blooming under natural way, then I made my thinking - why I need to give them the "steroid" to boot up? somehow, I tried it and I just don't prefer dosing V.C. anymore, but it's just my personal view, I do have trouble to keep up all the parameters daily from my life.

Anyway, it's a fun project, but I'll still choose a simple and natural way.

Hey I understand. Its a fun project and if I dont see any positive results, Im gonna stop dosing vit c and vodka.

Going away is always an issue. I gotta get a dosing system up before I go to Cali in June.

The Propagator
Right about what?

I don't really know much about this, I've just asked a question or two and been following along.

Sorry to hear that Prop, hope you can get them to color up again before too long.

You gonna stop dosing?

Do you think they bleached due to Ph issues from the type of Vit. C you're using?

Maybe the type Vit C and definitley the amount.

Archived