ReefCleaners.org

Vitamin C Dosing

evilc66

You still have to use the formula. The dosing is based on liters, not gallons. This is a "gallons" country, so everyone starts with it, and coverts to liters. If you don't convert, the dosing will be very low.

There are many people in RC that are pushing 20ppm+ on some larger systems with good results. 5ppm is good for maintenance work, while gradually moving up to 20ppm will start dealing with various tank ailments.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been dosing my tank with vodka and vitamin-c for the past week with amazing results in such a short amount of time. I dose .2 ml (thats 2/10ths of a milliliter) of vodka per day, and 125 milligrams of vitamin-c per day (for around 5ppm). So far here's what I've noticed:

My browned out Montipora Spongodes now has green tips, keep in mind it was COMPLETELY brown.

My protein skimmer which hardly produced any skimmate before now explodes with nasty brown sludge.

My Nitrates were 10-20ppm consistently, now they are ZERO.

My Phosphates were .5-1ppm consistently, now they are ZERO.

My Zoanthids that had lost coloration are now turning amazing colors.

The unknown brown macro-algae that has been taking over my rocks is now in decline.

The GHA on my back wall is now in decline also.

The only slightly negative thing I have noticed is I have a bit of diatoms on the sandbed.

I am convinced that this stuff is amazing and it costs hardly anything to do. I will continue to do this on a regular basis.

Here are the two webpages that I refer to on the recommended dosages:

Vodka Dosing

Vitamin-C Dosing

I think some of has to do with the type of vit c you use. The pill form with the fillers in higher concentrations have irritated them in some instances, and the calcium buffered vit c has also. The PH buffered stuff is the way to go.

The Propagator

I have used the unbuffered chewable tablets for the past couple days and haven't noticed anything yet in my sps changing for the worse. I have notice brighter color though ! :D

I think maybe its the capsule form IE gel cap that does it ?

I am not at full dosage though either so ?

That may be why I have not noticed any wow factor change sin my zoas either ?

Whats the ppm you are dosing to? I have seen a difference at 5ppm in almost all the corals for the week I have been dosing.

The Propagator

I have been following the dosing schedule set in the chart posted only I stopped at 20ppm and I am keeping it there for the duration in 2 100g systems and 1 40g system.

The Propagator

CLIFF'EH !!!!!!!!

WHAT APP !!

I'll look into Iherb... I don't like these tabs much. The binder makes my skimmer go ape like you wouldn't believe.

I just ordered some. Found a code by googling and saved $5. Total cost + shipping = $12.79 I've been wanting to try this for a while. This thread pushed me over the edge.

Vitamin C was not too good in my tank, I have a very stable tank, after reading many postings about C, I decided to follow the instruction and only dosing 1/2 suggested amount to try, first 2 weekw was awsome!

later time, my zoas of candy apple and lunar eclipse, they strat to shrink (which have been developing very well), lunar eclipse melting away within 3 days, and candy apple never open it's palys again, I've switched it to my frag tank which has never used any C dosing, it's gradually coming back, I'm still crossing my finger if I can save it.

Frankly, I'm not 100% sure it's C, but befoe and after, the only different thing was C, use it with cautious - that's all I can say, I'll never try it again... after all, my tank is in extremely good condition (shameless to say), don't know why I let the "C" idea drilling into my head in the first place.

I'm not a chemist and I'm not a marine biologist, I don't know if it's C, but sharing this with my own experience, use it with high cautious if you decide to try it.

The Propagator
did you keep an eye on your ph and alk lvls while dosing. That is a big part of it.

I bet that was it. Low or high alk or PH will do it.

The Propagator

SO I turned the light on my 40B a few minutes ago just to check it out. I haven't REALLY taken the time to asses things in it lately because its sort of a QT tank that generally take sa long time to see result sin given the specific disease etc., etc. of the coral in it. SOooo I only look in it about once a week basically. I test he water parameters but over all consider it a pot luck tank. Any who.. I peeked in there today.

I have been using the vitamin C in all tanks for the last 4 days. No WOW factors in the other tanks BUT after really checking out things in my 40B however I am noticing HUGE improvements in some sickly looking LPS I have in there at the moment.

In particular a chalice I bought about a year ago that lost all color when the MJ 1200 fried my prop system and every thing bleached out last year. After that the halides just bleached the crap out of it even worse and it remained a flesh tone brown color. ( was a BEAUTIFUL teal blue with bright yellow mouths ! ) Now since dosing the VC it is regaining a little of that color AND looking more filled out !

I checked a couple frags of it in my main prop system.. same results only a little less.. BUT the same results are definitely showing none the less !!

The zoas.. not yet. BUT I have just today reached what I am calling my max dosage at 25ppm ( some colonies have a funk about them so I feel I need it that high right now )

SO I figure after today's dosage I should see results by Wednesday at the latest going by others claims of success.

We shall see..... :D

I am hopeful though !

I saw a mention on another thread that sometimes SPS don't respond well to Vit. C dosing.

What's that about?

Vit-C does the same (along with other benefits) as other carbon sources in that it lowers nutrients. I've found that I need to feed more now to keep my SPS colored up as I was probably a bit too low in nutrients. I'm trying Coral Frenzy at the moment along with some AA supplementation. I am also going to remove my GFO since I think its a bit overkill.

The Propagator
Vit-C does the same (along with other benefits) as other carbon sources in that it lowers nutrients. I've found that I need to feed more now to keep my SPS colored up as I was probably a bit too low in nutrients. I'm trying Coral Frenzy at the moment along with some AA supplementation. I am also going to remove my GFO since I think its a bit overkill.

I've been giving phyto feast a try lately.

I just finished up the bottle yesterday as a matter of fact.

Cant say that I have seen a real difference though.

I think I am sticking to my oyster eggs, aminos, phyto plex and chroma plex from now on.

Archived