• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply
NanoReefNovice

OK... by popular request, clownfish617, PICS!!!! omgomgomg

Still cycling so...

Today's water change!

NC24_mod-035.gif

Don't have a heater for water changes yet so I'm just heating up a flask and placing it in the RO water. <_<

Here are some pictures of the tunnels in the rockwork

NC24_mod046.jpg

NC24_mod042.jpg

NC24_mod043.jpg

I'm visualizing the soon be inhabitants :)

And a sad FTS

NC24_mod-041.gif

Everything looks pretty much dead :tears:

Looking good!

I would take some rock out and move it to the refugium so you maintain biological filtration but have more room for corals. Then maybe put a deep sand bed in the refugium for denitrification.

Just my advice but your tank will be fine without it.

Btw have you decided how to stock the refugium?

NanoReefNovice
Looking good!

I would take some rock out and move it to the refugium so you maintain biological filtration but have more room for corals. Then maybe put a deep sand bed in the refugium for denitrification.

Just my advice but your tank will be fine without it.

Btw have you decided how to stock the refugium?

Good call on increasing LR in the fuge. For some reason my first instinct was to keep it light. I wanted to do a deep sand bed, i like way it looks, but i decided im too scared of that. I have read too many bad stories that it works great for awile but it is really a timebomb ready to realease crap at any time, old tank syndrome. :scarry:

Not sure what to stock the fuge with, thinking of cool looking benificail alge that is not be too invasive. Cheato for one... your suggestions?

NC24_mod-035.gif

Don't have a heater for water changes yet so I'm just heating up a flask and placing it in the RO water. <_<

Dude you kinda look like a meth cooker with that pic

NanoReefNovice
Dude you kinda look like a meth cooker with that pic

AWESOME!!! :haha: tweek, errr, tweek

I have that flask for beer brewing purposes, so.... close. ;)

NanoReefNovice

Looks like I'm getting some diatoms :D

Took these PICs on Tues 3/3

NC24_mod052.jpg

NC24_mod056.jpg

Been keeping LR clean w/turkey baster.

Thinking of CUC options and fuge algaes once water prams are stable

I e-mailed reef cleaners and this was there response...

Thanks for stopping by www.reefcleaners.org! Here is what I would get for the tank:

24 gallon -

25 Dwarf Ceriths - small effective cleaners

6 Nassarius

10 Blue Legs (Express Mail)

15 Florida Ceriths

10 gallon -

12 Dwarf Ceriths - small effective cleaners

3 Nassarius

5 Blue Legs (Express Mail)

6 Florida Ceriths

Some plants for the refugium that are good are ulva chaeto and gracilaria. Easy to keep low risk, etc...

All the Best,

John Maloney

www.reefcleaners.org

Not sure about the blue legged hermits, read they can be aggressive towards snails and other hermits and I don't want dead CUC members polluting up the tank. I would rather go with red legged herms, ive read they are true workhorses and don't cause trouble? The amount of Nassarius's seems high for the amount of sand i have, not sure if it is a prob b/c its only about 1/4" deep.

I want the CUC to be diverse and fun to watch, but not have to worry, i.e. destroying shiet. Im looking to get members gradually to not put too much of a bio-load on the tank. I live in the SF bay area and im going to go check out what some of the LFS have in stock. Anybody know where i should visit?

As far as the fuge i know im going to have mangroves and cheato. Ulva and gracilaria seem cool but i also want something red.

Let me know what you all think...

NanoReefNovice

Just tested water perams....

Temp = 80F

Salinity = 1.024

pH = 8.1

Ammonia =0

Nitrite = 0

Nitrate = 0

Hardness = 11

Phosphates = 0

Calcium = 400

21 days later and 75 gal worth of Instant Ocean, water perams are lookin good. B)

Trying to resist the urge to start stocking. If all looks well maybe next week I will get a few herms and snails, and just might get some fuge algea :D

Any opinions/ideas out there for fuge alge + CUC choices?

I like a mix myself. I have trochus, nassarius, and astrea snails. I also have red and blue hermits, 2 green mythrax crabs, and 3 porcelain crabs. One brittle starfish as well. I've had no issues with the blue hermits being aggresive although my reds are bigger. Only problem I ever had with hermits is the halloween hermits as they always got taken over by the blues and the reds.

For algae in the fuge I wouldn't run caluarpa as it can go a-sexual and spread all over. It can be a pain. Chaeto is a good choice without all the problems.

BLoCkCliMbeR
For algae in the fuge I wouldn't run caluarpa as it can go a-sexual and spread all over. It can be a pain. Chaeto is a good choice without all the problems.

i believe temp swings trigger calurpa(i had polifera) going sexual....im not sure of any other factors that can contribute to it...but ive kept it in water as hot as 90, air conditioner went out at the apartment i had back in the day, and when ever i made an attempt to bring the temp down, w/ ice bags it would go sexual.....just my experience

if your sump is also a display, id go calurpa, just watch it

NanoReefNovice
I like a mix myself. I have trochus, nassarius, and astrea snails. I also have red and blue hermits, 2 green mythrax crabs, and 3 porcelain crabs. One brittle starfish as well. I've had no issues with the blue hermits being aggresive although my reds are bigger. Only problem I ever had with hermits is the halloween hermits as they always got taken over by the blues and the reds.

Thanks bigART.

I definitely want as diverse of CUC as possible, for efficiency and mainly b/c i want a bunch of critters to watch. I like what you have going on in you tank, especially the crabs. I want a starfish but im not sure of which one would be the most benificail and safe.

Cheato and mangrove are for sure, but since it is a display fuge i want some diversity of shapes, colors and textures. However i am a beginner and i want it all to be safe.

I had calurpa in my sump for my 125g tank, but for a smaller tank it might be risky. Changing the water in a small tank fluctuates the temp and as you say it could be a bad thing. Most people just use chaeto.

NanoReefNovice
i believe temp swings trigger calurpa(i had polifera) going sexual....im not sure of any other factors that can contribute to it...but ive kept it in water as hot as 90, air conditioner went out at the apartment i had back in the day, and when ever i made an attempt to bring the temp down, w/ ice bags it would go sexual.....just my experience

if your sump is also a display, id go calurpa, just watch it

I like calurpa, maybe i will get a lil once i get the setup more stable and i have more experience.

I started off with calurpa and chaeto. The chaeto is easier to manage in my experience. The calurpa kept wanting to grow all over the rock and was spreading. So I got what I could out and pruned the rest down 2 different times and I think I have it all now. Don't get me wrong, I like calurpa it just can be a nuisance is all.

BLoCkCliMbeR
I like calurpa, maybe i will get a lil once i get the setup more stable and i have more experience.

ahh noticed your in cali....good luck on the calurpa...its not legal there is it?

NanoReefNovice
I started off with calurpa and chaeto. The chaeto is easier to manage in my experience. The calurpa kept wanting to grow all over the rock and was spreading. So I got what I could out and pruned the rest down 2 different times and I think I have it all now. Don't get me wrong, I like calurpa it just can be a nuisance is all.

Fo Sho :lol:

I think im going to leave calupra off the list... for now.

I'm not afraid of having to trim any of the algae, i more afraid of it spreading to the display tank or messing up water perams.

ahh noticed your in cali....good luck on the calurpa...its not legal there is it?

Oh crap, it is illegal. I guess that solves that... for now :P

Archived