SaltCritters.com

Plainrt's breeder build.Version 2.The waste of good water

plainrt

• Replies 733
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Very nice torch! My LFS has a bright white bubble coral but it is massive!!! The sweeper tenatcles on that thing are some of the longest I have seen. It occupies a large corner of the tank its in and there is nothing within a foot of it.

thanks i saved a spot for a bubble in a lower flow area on right side in back where it can only get to stinging some shrooms lol :}

Nice torch it looks great :D

thanks.

Today i went to the crappy petsmart cause i wanted a higher watt rena smart heater cause only place that sells them and found something else that suprised me and couldnt leave with out it.Will get a pic of my new find later :}

Thunderstruck34

whoo joining the 40 br club!!! I saw your 30br fs on wireef and was thinking you must've upgraded. Nice find, and hey if someone doesn't jump on the 30 br you can always use it as a frag tank :D

whoo joining the 40 br club!!! I saw your 30br fs on wireef and was thinking you must've upgraded. Nice find, and hey if someone doesn't jump on the 30 br you can always use it as a frag tank :D

Yeah them jerks made me buy with the light and glass top.I tried so hard and dont get why cant just sell damn tank alone.I thought about using the 30 as frag tank but im thinking a little smaller acrylic that can bring to the few swaps around here each year with ease.

Thunderstruck34
Yeah them jerks made me buy with the light and glass top.I tried so hard and dont get why cant just sell damn tank alone.I thought about using the 30 as frag tank but im thinking a little smaller acrylic that can bring to the few swaps around here each year with ease.

ouch thats pretty lame, they charge you what, an extra $80-$100ish for that? yeah thats a good point with the frag swaps. speaking of which do you know when the next one is coming up?

came to 135 with tank,marineland strip light.and glass top.They sell the light for 60 there so dont get why couldnt pull that out and give a little off atleast.

Will this new tank use a Protein Skimmer?

Nope still gonna be same simple setup.Only thing im adding is a rena 150w smartheater to this one and the 100w smartheater will be in there set at a lower temp for backup.Gonna use the same little filter even though only rated at 30 gallons.I have had it unplugged now for sometime anyway lol.........

I saw that version at my Petsmart a while back but it apparently sold and they all they have now are the Topfins w/out the brace. I was expecting to get that eact same tank when my Aqueon 40B cracked but to my surprise none of the new 40's seem to have braces.

I saw that version at my Petsmart a while back but it apparently sold and they all they have now are the Topfins w/out the brace. I was expecting to get that eact same tank when my Aqueon 40B cracked but to my surprise none of the new 40's seem to have braces.

yeah they had this one marked as a 40 gallon and below it they had another one without brace and was marked a 40 breeder lol.The one i got was made in 07 and other 40b with out brace was newer.Im guessing old ones had brace and this beast has been sitting around somewhere.

30b is down new tank is up and i already miss the 30b :{ My next tank is gonna be big and shallow unlike this thing.Maybe it will grow on me though.

as of right now 30b>40b

ok here is a pic of the stupid 40b after the transfer on sat.Im not happy with it cause it needs more live rock or a deeper sandbed cause too much open water up top and dont like the look.I dont know what to do and maybe the 30b will be back yet.Oh and colors look different cause i was playing with a 6 bulb tek i had around instead of the 4 bulb i had over the 30.

100_1863.jpg

Militant Jurist

You could always find yourself a nice big, relatively flat piece of dry rock and put one of the LR groups on top of it.

You could always find yourself a nice big, relatively flat piece of dry rock and put one of the LR groups on top of it.

It was a thought also.Im leaning towards maybe a deeper sandbed and maybe a jawfish of some sort.I think my wrasses would also like a bit more sand also.I have to look into deep sandbeds some and if any jawfish would be fine with my current stocking.It was alot of work to transfer tanks just to be not happy in the end.So many options........

Ok I dont know what i wanna do now.I setup the 40b cause i wanted to be able to view from closer.The 30 made that hard to do.Now that got the 40 up my tank looks bare and needs more sand or live rock to fill in all the open water and i dont wanna add more rock as i really liked it the way it was.I still have the 30 here and im very tempted to swap it back.

any thoughts?

Do you want to add more corals? If you do, I would add some more rock (possibly dry, lower cost) because it looks like you've run out of real estate as it is. If you don't plan to add anymore corals then I would leave it alone, it looks good, and to stress everything out again so soon would be a shame. Plus you have 10 more gallons of stability. Maybe you will get used to it over time.

Just add some rock to the back middle to raise the height and it will slope down on both sides of it and look great.

yeah im gonna run and look for some small pieces in bit to see if i can do what im thinking.

masterbuilder

I like your tank. You COULD add some more rock...wouldnt take much at all and give yourself more space for your loose corals. Maybe add some rocks to the right side to make a sloping reef. Keep the rock pile on the left side like it is. Might get rid of the Kenya Tree (?)...to my eye it looks out of place with all your other nice corals. Hate to my use my tank as an example, but I am happy with my rockscape for the 1st time ever.....now I just need to work on EVERYTHING else.

40B.jpg

my tank for ideas:

http://www.nano-reef.com/gallery/data/500/09_18_09.jpg

I like your tank. You COULD add some more rock...wouldnt take much at all and give yourself more space for your loose corals. Maybe add some rocks to the right side to make a sloping reef. Keep the rock pile on the left side like it is. Might get rid of the Kenya Tree (?)...to my eye it looks out of place with all your other nice corals. Hate to my use my tank as an example, but I am happy with my rockscape for the 1st time ever.....now I just need to work on EVERYTHING else.

40B.jpg

my tank for ideas:

http://www.nano-reef.com/gallery/data/500/09_18_09.jpg

I have always loved your tank and took some ideas from it.I wanna go somewhat high on right side but not so close to glass.The left in gonna raise up the anthelia a bit hopefully.Lol that kenya tree never goes away.I haveripped it out a few times and one just shows up somewhere again.Im suprised you noticed it back there lol.Will see what i can do.Gonna get ready to go get some rock now.

OClownsandNanos

Hi plainrt - Just wanted to say (on your thread) I love love love your tanks and hadn't realized you had a Christmas Wrasse in the 30B until today. Congrats on the tank upgrade! I'm really set on eventually getting a Hawaiian ornate wrasse and so I've been thinking I might want a slightly bigger tank than a 30b - I'm looking into a 40B or a 50 gal now. Can't believe how expensive the 50 gallon AGAs (36x18x18) are (called into a few LFS near me and they're quoting $170 for special order)! Don't want to go more than a 50 gal - wanna keep the 36" length. You've given me hope that a 40B will be enough! :) Planning on fish and inverts commonly found in waters of Hawai'i - may try for a Hawaiian/Pacific biotope - and can't have any tangs, but the wrasses are just awesome.

If you 'scaped it with the two-islands look. You'd have the open space in the right areas while taking up more of the vertical space on each island. That way you don't have to move everything to a new tank or deal with what you deem awkward.

Ok after buying 10+lbs more live rock and trying to rescape some i gave up on that idea after a piece of lr went through my door on my stand :{ Im lucky i didnt throw it into the glass.Im going to be doing a sandbed about 3 inches to get look i want.I have looked into deeper sandbeds and think i should be ok at this hieght and it will allow for me to try maybe one more fish i have always wanted :}I hope this goes better then the lr idea.

Archived