SaltCritters.com

Why do pepole keep flowerpot corals?

nyfishguy

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sheesh.

What a fun thread.

Anyway, just thinking out loud here. I have NO evidence or even basis for this idea, so it's just a shot in the dark, but does anyone know how long the coral lives in the wild?

In other words, just because it is abundant in the wild, doesn't neccessarily mean it lives very long. It may spread/grow fast enough that its numbers grow even as parts of it die.

I hope I don't get flamed for this, it's just a wild idea to explore.

Remember that in addition to learning more about how to keep livestock over time, we also have examples of livestock that simply don't live long. Some small gobies rarely live 1 year, I'm sure at some point down the line people were convinced that they were causing it through poor care.

Well, that is thinking out of the box.

I actually cracked open a large referance book on Corals around the world, and besides the description I left earlier in this bashing thread (calm down nyfishguy), it seems that certain Goniopora colonies can grow several meters in length. That is very impressive for a single coral colony.

Well, after looking around on the internet and a few coral books, it seems that the status of this coral species is not known at all at this time.

Quote from Corals of Australia and the Indo-Pacific

"I have no hesitation in asserting that in the present state of our knowledge, this coral species reach and numbers are indeterminable."

BTW, any reefer should get this book, nearly all of the corals are in it, and great color photos.

Porities can be over 2000 years olds, some other corals such as acros may only exist for 5 years on a reef before they suffer an ailment and are quickly overtaken by other members of the reef. I believe that the lifespan for most corals is indefinite, but with the many hardships presented by predators, natural disasters, diseases, competition etc. most succumb before they really reach maturity and those who reach maturity live until their luck runs out.

Exactly, because if corals were in the "perfect environment", then they would just continue asexually budding new polyps and growing their coral structure?

well that's the thing...I have years of experience...so im not a noob....and greenstar is a 23 year old punk that needs to respect his elders and stop being a know it all....it's fine if he knows things about reefing but dont be a prick about it

Did those years of experience not teach you about foxfaces in nano tanks and clams under PC light?

Themadride got banned indefinitely for saying the EXACT SAME STATEMENT as Greenstar said in the threat about flowerpot corals.

Greenstar had his post edited at that's it.

Themadride got banned for a week.....then when I reported the EXACT SAME STATEMENT from Greenster..

I got banned indefinitely because I "didn't take it like a man".

What BULL!

Not to mention that jeremai himself broke the rules and then posted A FALSE (Edited) QUOTE of mine.

"It's not a democracy, friend" he says. Well, what exactly is it, when dozens of people cursed and made personal attacks INCLUDING YOU...and nothing happened. Until someone fired back and you and then you just couldn't take it. Poor widdle moderator got his feeling hurt or felt "one-upped" and just couldn't think of anything to do, but ban someone.

Who the heck is this guy?

revaltion131

I'm not following the connection between using facts to back up your statements and "attacks". Noob < DICK. You aren't allowed to complain about being "attacked" by someone until you try to back up what you're saying with facts, IMO. If you don't even try to enlighten yourself, you are no better than the people doing such and such stupid thing or buying such and such animal that doesn't have a great long-term track record.

In the last couple of years probably, Mandarins "couldn't" be kept long-term in anything less than massive systems because people didn't know how to keep up with their feeding requirements. Because people went out of their way to train them and help others, it's become possible to keep them in smaller systems. People are working on keeping obligate corallivores and other difficult fish like Moorish Idols and are having success with them. Do you want to go after those people, as well? But it doesn't matter, these species can't be kept successfully in captivity, right?

I agree with AC being the way to go, when available. The problem with AC is that it isn't always available and to get it to the point where it is, the wild animal does need to be imported until it can be. Even then, see clownfishes, wild specimens are still brought in on a regular basis.

Whatever you do, say, or feel about a subject as annoying as reefing can be at times, there are still people who will be careless. They don't research and they don't care. The stores order different items from suppliers so that they can make more money and the LFS employees don't know any better or are only seeing the green if they do. The best you can do is try to advance the hobby and help the people that do care, and blanket statements of "you can't keep that" only hurt the situation and make you look like an ass. I can't remember who said it earlier in the thread, but the best thing you can do is refuse to buy something a shop has if it's something you don't think should ever be kept in aquaria. It's hard to do at times, like a Multi-barred Pygmy I saw awhile ago, but it's possible.

Heh, Sac_State had to come and ruin it....

And yes, BK's tank is very noobish. His recent pictures of the thriving SPS corals are noobish, his Aquacontroller run tank is noobish. The way he thoroughly planned his tank out while documenting is pretty noobish, isnt it. (sarcasm)

heh, what a jokester.

Man, I feel like Im on ReefCentral again with this thread though. lets leave the gonis to the experts...

FloridaReefer

Ok, that's it, based on this thread I'm going to start a nano with nothing but flowerpots, like 20. I'll give you guys an update at the one, two, and three year mark and submit the results for publication in a scientific journal for reference purposes. Talk to you guys then. :D

Please kill this monster!

revaltion131
Man, I feel like Im on ReefCentral again with this thread though. lets leave the gonis to the experts...

Did you see the most recent thread on Mandarins that pretty much spawned the "XXX Primer" threads? That thing was gnarly.

Ok, that's it, based on this thread I'm going to start a nano with nothing but flowerpots, like 20. I'll give you guys an update at the one, two, and three year mark and submit the results for publication in a scientific journal for reference purposes. Talk to you guys then. :D

Please kill this monster!

hmm, 20 flowerpots in a nano, sure to be accurate results there!

And yes, BK's tank is very noobish. His recent pictures of the thriving SPS corals are noobish, his Aquacontroller run tank is noobish. The way he thoroughly planned his tank out while documenting is pretty noobish, isnt it. (sarcasm)

I just went back and checked out his posts again, just to see if I missed anything. nope, oooh, he's got an aquacontroller...wow, that's awesome... and thriving sps? I went over his tank build again, as well as his others posts... he's got a few pieces of sps that look to be rather recently acquired frags. really impressive (sarcasm). oh, and I wonder how that dragon pipe fish he got in December is doing these days... yeah, that was a brilliant purchase as well...

I just went back and checked out his posts again, just to see if I missed anything. nope, oooh, he's got an aquacontroller...wow, that's awesome... and thriving sps? I went over his tank build again, as well as his others posts... he's got a few pieces of sps that look to be rather recently acquired frags. really impressive (sarcasm). oh, and I wonder how that dragon pipe fish he got in December is doing these days... yeah, that was a brilliant purchase as well...

Any tank thread you running Sac_State, I wanna see where you get this sense of superiority....

Sulfur, how do I get on Team My IQ is Higher? You live in Miami...what are your favorite LFS's?

my only LFS that I visit is House of Fins. The only place down here that doesnt try to scam you. Personally, I like going to Reef Gardener for all my corals, prices that are impossible to beat down here. Dont pay shipping either :D. If you are within driving range of them, I highly suggest them. If you setup a time to go there, she has maybe 40x more coral at the "store" than on the site.

:lol:

Archived