Coral Vue Hydros

Why do pepole keep flowerpot corals?

nyfishguy

Obi Juan kenobi

One of my local LFS has had one for over 3 years and counting and fragged it numerous times and the frags are doing fine.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still am failing to see the difference in taking a Plerogyra off the reef via hammer and chisel and taking a Goniopora in the same manner. If either land in the hands of the wrong keeper they are going to die, however given proper care both may live for many years, the only difference being the a healthy goniopora stands a better chance of being fragged than a Plerogyra and either way both will never see the reef again and both are biologically dead.

enough.......there has been no flowerpots kept alive for over 1 and a half to two years in a home tank...i get your point and i think this is ridiculous at this point....they are no good for the home aquarium

lol way to miss the entire point greenstar is making. Nice.

ignore him.....he just likes to sound smart

I figured there was no getting through to you

Last try,

Until recently, I have, in good conscience, offered the same advice heard from reefkeepers across the country when referring to Goniopora: "Yes, they're very pretty, but don't buy them. They won't make it past a year." Personally, I took this statement as a challenge, and set out to change the way we looked at the care of this "impossible" coral. Currently, I am keeping nine species of this coral alive in my systems at Fin and Feather Pets, and have used the knowledge gained from my successes to assist several local customers with Goniopora in their own home aquariums. I can now tell customers that it is possible to keep Goniopora alive, as long as you provide the proper care and feeding for the species in question.......

Some of these exceptional corals were Goniopora. The unusual ones piqued my interest, so I placed them in our "for display only" system. After a few years I realized they were still alive, and were a likely candidate for successful aquaculture; I just needed to determine why I was successful and how my success could be repeated.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-10/nftt/index.php

Bottom line yes you can keep Gonioporas, long term if you due it right. Same with jelly fish or cuttles.

Oops forgot citation

Oops forgot citation

Don't worry about that. nyfishguy seems to have personal experience with the complete failure at keeping gonioporas by everyone else.

Don't worry about that. nyfishguy seems to have personal experience with the complete failure at keeping gonioporas by everyone else.

kept 2 year and a half like clockwork

anyone else wanna take a stab??

ill be here all night

Alas it was my ignorance, by not ignoring the facts, that drove him away. Maybe if I stuck my head in the sand instead of looking towards progressive reef keeping "society" would not be so "####ed up"

Obi Juan kenobi
One of my local LFS has had one for over 3 years and counting and fragged it numerous times and the frags are doing fine.

I've seen it with my own eyes ;)

stories like that are a drop in a bucket........they are not a good choice for a home coral

nice try though

hahahaha, oh man.

its like talking to a brick wall, its awesome. Not one single person ever claimed it to be a good choice for a home coral.

oh, lol, this is great

stories like that are a drop in a bucket........they are not a good choice for a home coral

nice try though

Then neither are tubasterea or any Acro because they require special care. Gonioporas typically die in captivity due to starvation not some magic expiration date. If you feed them correctly they won't starve, if they don't starve they won't die, therefore with correct feeding, along with correct lighting, a goniopora should not die in a home aquarium.

enough.......there has been no flowerpots kept alive for over 1 and a half to two years in a home tank...i get your point and i think this is ridiculous at this point....they are no good for the home aquarium

done, finished, please some one delete this f-in' thread already

No, NOT enough! You started this mess... Your entire premise was wrong-headed. Now just back off, noob, and leave the real reefing to us!

that's funny "real reefing".....anything else you wanna add?

I probably know more then you ever will my friend

ENOUGH

progressive is fine but not at the expense of living things.....sorry

Your kidding me right? So the first person who tried to keep coral was successful? All corals survive automatically and people never figured out Calcium or Organic loads without messing up? And it comes to a culmination with Goniopora being the one species you absolutely under any circumstance can not keep?

ENOUGH

Your loosing an argument and failing to provide facts I dare say this is enough I think we are just getting started.

Your kidding me right? So the first person who tried to keep coral was successful? All corals survive automatically and people never figured out Calcium or Organic loads without messing up? And it comes to a culmination with Goniopora being the one species you absolutely under any circumstance can not keep?

not saying that but it's careless with all we know now

that's all....please stop it now...you're making this all out to be some thing bigger than it needs to be....im sure we will agree to disagree but name calling is kiddy sh**.....

So, nyfishguy, when will you put your live rock and corals back into the ocean? I mean, your pleasure at having a piece of the ocean in your home comes at the expense of living things, right?

ENOUGH

Honestly, if you're that afraid you should take up knitting instead. If the intrinsic purity of the life of every single organism is truly that important to you, then you have no business exposing ANY animal to captivity, even a hermit or a corallimorph.

You're not being honest.

So, nyfishguy, when will you put your live rock and corals back into the ocean? I mean, your pleasure at having a piece of the ocean in your home comes at the expense of living things, right?

I have all aquacultured corals and the live rock is only thing that comes from the ocean in my tank

I have all aquacultured corals and the live rock is only thing that comes from the ocean in my tank

Well, then you should get an aquacultured goniopora.

What do you mean not at this time? People have been keeping goni's long term since 05 and that just not stokei or nummeiflora (however the #### you spell it) but a whole host of species.

Total bull###### you have a Plegogyra sinulosa, very difficult to frag successfully and judging by it size and the age of you tank thats damn near impossible

ohhh you mean the pearl bubble....that was from my old tank my 72 bow....that's before i knew what an ass i was being about buying wild collected corals.....anything else??

Archived