Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Why do pepole keep flowerpot corals?

nyfishguy

I do believe I'm going to try and find that book, not that sps is really my "thing." Knowledge is power, power corrupts. Learn alot, be evil. I thought this was cool: "The star coral Montastraea annularis may live for several centuries and grow to the size of an automobile."

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Porities can be over 2000 years olds, some other corals such as acros may only exist for 5 years on a reef before they suffer an ailment and are quickly overtaken by other members of the reef. I believe that the lifespan for most corals is indefinite, but with the many hardships presented by predators, natural disasters, diseases, competition etc. most succumb before they really reach maturity and those who reach maturity live until their luck runs out.

Haha I suppose I hadn't considered the fact that we remove all of those elements by standing on guard for any predators or diseases etc. etc.

reefman225gal
the know it all's back.....i can look info up on the internet too you know....... :rant:

Then this thread should have never been started!!!

Are you stupid or something?

mama says that stupid is as stupid does............that's a stupid question know it all

What the hell was that about fish guy? Personally, I didn't know porites could live to be a milenia old, and I haven't found any sources on the internet yet to learn any of this. Just let it go. I swear if you're going to be, dodging questions and useing the same bull headed responses over and over and over, why bother posting? I've read alot of Greenstar's posts, he's knowledgable (if a bit abrasive.) I'd take his word over yours. He established that yes, gonipora have been kept successfully for a number of years, and your first impulse was blatant denial followed by name calling.

I'm a noob, and I can own up to that. Maybe it's time you did the same.

What the hell was that about fish guy? Personally, I didn't know porites could live to be a milenia old, and I haven't found any sources on the internet yet to learn any of this. Just let it go. I swear if you're going to be, dodging questions and useing the same bull headed responses over and over and over, why bother posting? I've read alot of Greenstar's posts, he's knowledgable (if a bit abrasive.) I'd take his word over yours. He established that yes, gonipora have been kept successfully for a number of years, and your first impulse was blatant denial followed by name calling.

I'm a noob, and I can own up to that. Maybe it's time you did the same.

well that's the thing...I have years of experience...so im not a noob....and greenstar is a 23 year old punk that needs to respect his elders and stop being a know it all....it's fine if he knows things about reefing but dont be a prick about it

burtbollinger

nyfishguy.....time to drop it....too much anger and name calling...take a deep breath and block folks if thats what you need to do.

Dieter_Sprockets_small_closeup.jpg

this thread has grown tiresome.

nyfishguy.....time to drop it....too much anger and name calling...take a deep breath and block folks if thats what you need to do.

Dieter_Sprockets_small_closeup.jpg

this thread has grown tiresome.

you're right......sorry everyone

thanks burtbollinger

well that's the thing...I have years of experience...so im not a noob....and greenstar is a 23 year old punk that needs to respect his elders and stop being a know it all....it's fine if he knows things about reefing but dont be a prick about it

Excuse but I will never respect anyone that is a punk that can't admit he was wrong, nice try though and I believe you said you were done with this forum. The doors that way, don't let it hit you on the way out.

Excuse but I will never respect anyone that is a punk that can't admit he was wrong, nice try though and I believe you said you were done with this forum. The doors that way, don't let it hit you on the way out.

DICK.....and a real tough guy with his computer

ok know it all

GIRLGONEAQUA

I have a red goniopora in my tank, and it seems rather happy in there. Iv had it about 3 months now and feed it nori or phytoplankton.

onepostplanned

Themadride got banned indefinitely for saying the EXACT SAME STATEMENT as Greenstar said in the threat about flowerpot corals.

Greenstar had his post edited at that's it.

Themadride got banned for a week.....then when I reported the EXACT SAME STATEMENT from Greenster..

I got banned indefinitely because I "didn't take it like a man".

What BULL!

Not to mention that jeremai himself broke the rules and then posted A FALSE (Edited) QUOTE of mine.

"It's not a democracy, friend" he says. Well, what exactly is it, when dozens of people cursed and made personal attacks INCLUDING YOU...and nothing happened. Until someone fired back and you and then you just couldn't take it. Poor widdle moderator got his feeling hurt or felt "one-upped" and just couldn't think of anything to do, but ban someone.

Jeeezus, I can't believe I was even trying to have an intelligent conversational with either Greenstar or BKtomodachi...listen guys, just because you two have high post counts does not mean that you're not still noobs. I just looked over the posts that both of you have made, most of which were in the lounge, and you guys should seriously not be giving anyone any advice, on anything...especially with regard to nano or reef tanks considering that both of your tanks are pretty noobish in general. you may want to wait until you've actually achieved something with your own tanks before making recommendations and suggestions to others.

oh, and greenstar, you are no pioneer, innovator, or researcher. so quite trying to make yourself sound like you're breaking new ground when you're just making excuses to try and keep things that you don't have the knowledge, experience, or equipment to handle...

look i lost my head a bit I TOTALLY admit that....but i did NOT deserve to be attacked by him (Greenstar) like that....his ideas are the same as everyone else's and you're right he's no innovator or pioneer. I study this stuff for fun and for school...Im in a marine bio program at Brooklyn's Kingsborough community college for the sciences....I love it because that's what i'm passionate about and i've gotten more and more involved in reef conservation because lets face it guys....without the reefs our little hobby and forum site doesen't exist...and that's my only point in the end....the flowerpot thing was just a hopping off point for some thing bigger and i think ppl realize that...(ohhh and i know the know it all is gonna have to make some smart comment to defend him self and thats fine....let him....if he likes to talk to make himself feel important that's cool....maybe he wasen't hugged enough as a kid or something)

We are ALL passionate about the same thing on this site and we are all here to learn a bit more every day about what it is we do....so lets just do it and stop all the stupidity.

No, obviously you miss all of my points.

First off gonioporas have been successfully kept long term by those who understand their needs

Second they can be fragged, regenerate and be fragged again thus are a suitable candidate for the hobby ( much like tuberastera, clams etc.)

Third there is no reason to go all high and mighty about corals dying at the hands of the new, uneducated hobbyist (you would have a much better route about the continued importation of bleached anemones) when everything from live rock to corals fundementally damages the reef and is biologically dead to the reef regardless of its survival.

This is well said, well said.. I just think it is a shame that they are viewed as pretty corals and then sold to the people who do not understand their basic needs and such.

i'm done with this site......some ignorant ppl.....no wonder society is FU**ED

Whoa, what went wrong here....

1. Goniopora sp. are difficult to keep, but it can be done successfully if given the correct environment and food source for a given species.

2. The internet is serious business, and should be treated as such.

3. :grouphug:

Archived