Top Shelf Aquatics

The Biocube Resource Guide

uwwmatt

Only water level will be an issue. Skimmers in general, and the aquatic life in particular, like to have a fairly constant water level. Get an ATO and you'll be fine with it in chamber 2.

Are you asking what would go in the fuge?

If i bought the fuge drop in from inTank Media Baskets what material would go in there?

Thank you.

If i bought the fuge drop in from inTank Media Baskets what material would go in there?

Thank you.

Pretty sure we're having the same discussion on two different boards :).

Most people use a macro algae like cheato. You'll need a fuge light too to help the algae grow.

Edited by RedStang

That figures. ha! Right now I have the bioballs in place and will add some of the chemi-elite and media above the bioballs when I am done cycling. I need to make a mount for the Aquaticlife skimmer since the one i got didn't have a mount. I am also running a 425 gph pump in the tank currently while it is cycling. Is this necessary?

I got the tank running today with the water at 1.022 . I used 20 to 22 lbs of sand but tank only took 21 gallons of water. The heater is currently going and it looks like all I need is rock, a good temperature gauge and fish in due time.

Is this normal for a biocube 29? There is no rock in the tank.

That figures. ha! Right now I have the bioballs in place and will add some of the chemi-elite and media above the bioballs when I am done cycling. I need to make a mount for the Aquaticlife skimmer since the one i got didn't have a mount. I am also running a 425 gph pump in the tank currently while it is cycling. Is this necessary?

I got the tank running today with the water at 1.022 . I used 20 to 22 lbs of sand but tank only took 21 gallons of water. The heater is currently going and it looks like all I need is rock, a good temperature gauge and fish in due time.

Is this normal for a biocube 29? There is no rock in the tank.

Ditch the bioballs now. If you don't want to spring for the InTank media rack right now got to Home Depot or equivalent and get some egg crate to make a media rack. Put your filter floss on the top level of the egg crate. Don't run any chemical filtration until the cycle is done or near done.

I can't think of any reason either way on the 425gph pump. Can't hurt!

Water volume is normal for the BC. Not sure where they get 29gal. I suppose if we filled them to the very top with nothing else in there we might get there.

On rock. Whether you buy 100% live or get base rock make sure you quarantine the rock. Get a bucket, fill it with salt water and stick a power head and heater in it. After 24 hours check it for phosphates. If you have none or trace amounts, trace being under .04 or so, then stick it your tank. If it's higher there's some stuff that you can add to safely precipitate out the phosphate and it can clean it up fairly quick.

I bring this up because this is advice that nobody really gave me. I was told to rinse the dry rock and let it dry. That's not really good enough.

For live rock, carefully inspect the system of who or where your buying it from. Look for aptasia especially but also look for algae etc... I had no idea what aptasia looked like till I asked for an ID on a hitchhiker. Thankfully I've only had three or four heads pop up and none in the last 3 or 4 months. Finally, you can go with 15 pounds or so of dry rock and only use 5 pounds or so to seed it. That has worked well for me and I'm getting some coralline growth on the formerly dead rock. Much cheaper way to go.

On the skimmer. FWIW, I've read of at least one person who just lets theirs float! Worth a try right?

Sorry for the long winded response!

Hey no worries on the response I appreciate the information. I'd rather not screw this up. Id rather spend the money now then have it fail later.

I plan to get a media basket to help remove the bio balls but what I do from there remains my internal question.

So many options!

Hey no worries on the response I appreciate the information. I'd rather not screw this up. Id rather spend the money now then have it fail later.

I plan to get a media basket to help remove the bio balls but what I do from there remains my internal question.

So many options!

Most popular choices, and what I use, for the media basket are filter floss on top, then Seachem Purigen, and then chemi-pure elite. Since you have a skimmer a huge is probably not necessary but it won't hurt either. I'll be adding one in January I hope.

Basically, the bio balls won't be necessary if you have live rock and everything I've read says they become nitrate factories. Best to remove them now before they establish any kind of bacteria buildup so a cycle isn't effected.

Looking for a splitter for the outflow, i somehow broke off the plastic piece and can't get it to stay on again so i figured i'd look for someway to split the flow.

I know i've seen some kind of tubing but can't find it again and can't remember the name, it's fairly cheap if i remember right.

Looking for a splitter for the outflow, i somehow broke off the plastic piece and can't get it to stay on again so i figured i'd look for someway to split the flow.

I know i've seen some kind of tubing but can't find it again and can't remember the name, it's fairly cheap if i remember right.

Loc-line. But it requires the plastic piece that slips over the outlet.

Wish i had an update, but came home last night and found my biocube has a crack in the back. It looks like a pressure crack or manufacturing defect. Hopefully this will be covered under a warranty, otherwise my saltwater dream might be over.

Wish i had an update, but came home last night and found my biocube has a crack in the back. It looks like a pressure crack or manufacturing defect. Hopefully this will be covered under a warranty, otherwise my saltwater dream might be over.

That sucks! New tank right? If so it should be covered. Good luck!

Loc-line. But it requires the plastic piece that slips over the outlet.

Thanks. I still have all the pieces, just can't get them to stay in place. The piece that slips over the outlet goes on and stays on if straight but as soon as i try to redirect the flow it comes off and ens up floating around the tank.

I'll look at the loc-line and see if i can piece it together enough to work.

Sorry to stack this thread up... But, has anyone had good success going into Oceanic for warranty claims?

Either way i want this tank to happen. A new replacement tank is 110 plus shipping.

Thanks.

Sorry to stack this thread up... But, has anyone had good success going into Oceanic for warranty claims?

Either way i want this tank to happen. A new replacement tank is 110 plus shipping.

Thanks.

Check craigslist for used tanks if Oceanic gives you trouble. Or local reef forums.

I ended up ordering a new tank and will utlize the warranty if anything goes wrong this time. I was also able to pickup some feed, thermometer, and miscellaneous accessories to hit the free shipping mark.

Now if this tanks holds I should be golden for live rock this weekend.

Drazzerected

I have a biocube 14 and I left the false floors in both the first and second chambers. In the first I run the oceanic skimmer in the second chamber I have filter floss on top and a few chonks of rock with some cheato in the middle third chamber i took out the bloue sponge and drop some chemipure elite in there that is also where I keep my heater. Tank has been up and running for 4 months now.

I have a biocube 14 and I left the false floors in both the first and second chambers. In the first I run the oceanic skimmer in the second chamber I have filter floss on top and a few chonks of rock with some cheato in the middle third chamber i took out the bloue sponge and drop some chemipure elite in there that is also where I keep my heater. Tank has been up and running for 4 months now.

u got pics, i love BC's

Drazzerected

I havnt done a build thread on this site But I hav been following this link sense I bought my cube back in august I have gotten all kinds of usefull help

100_3740.jpg

100_3723.jpg

This my falco hawk fish who is still in QT he will be the only fish I keep in there. Named him Chubbs.

100_3667.jpg

Drazzerected

Just wondering if any one has added a sump to their biocube and if so how did the doit without drilling. I have wanted to do a sump with over flow but have not gotten there yet and tips or addvice on the subject would be cool.

Just wondering if any one has added a sump to their biocube and if so how did the doit without drilling. I have wanted to do a sump with over flow but have not gotten there yet and tips or addvice on the subject would be cool.

I have a biocube 8 that is set up as my QT/MASH tank and I have just bought a 20 tall to transition the QT tank to. Now that I have a unused Biocube 8, I was also wondering if anyone had used it as a sump tank for a biocube 29. Any ideas would help us both.

How long did it take everyone before their water cleared up?

I transferred my old sand first to the new tank once I drained and collected the water from that tank to the new one. In about the 36 hours it ran the water never completely cleared up. I added 20 lbs of live rock last night which made the water a lot cloudier and this morning it is still very cloudy. I can barely see the rock in the tank.

Is this normal? Currently, I am only running the stock return pump with the foam filter in front of it. I setup the Skimmer in chamber 1 and in chamber 2 I had the piece of foam from the other tank as well as about half the bioballs. I plan to replace those once I made my own media basket this weekend.

I figured I would give it 3 or 4 days and if it doesn't clean up i'll do some 50% water changes.

Thank you.

Also, if anyone has the stock bracket for an Aquaticlife 115 I would love to buy it.

Edited by indyjaco

Another question.

I have a 425 gph powerhead in the tank. What is the best placement of this? Right now i have it about 3" off the top on the front left corner of the tank.

I also thought about putting it half way down the tank on the back right corner.

Thanks again!!

• 2 weeks later...