Cultivated Reef

Onyx Clowns Spawning

christosclowns

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

+1 to cyclop-eeze I listen to Erik on about feeding the picaso I got from him last month and it have double in size. I feed 8 times a day everyday and do 2 gallon water change every 3 days in my aquapod. It grow fast and love water currents for exercise trainning:)

David

I have never used cyclopeze but after reading the analysis I will have to give it a try. I enrich all my Mandarins food but I dont get very large spawns..maybe 100eggs max. I have read of other breeders obtaining roughly 600eggs. This will be worth a try.

I feed my clowns a mix of flakes and a dried form of cyclop-eeze from Tetra. It's called Tetra MicroCrabs Cyclop-Eeze Granules. It's probably not as nutritious as the frozen kind, but I can tell you my clowns go nuts for it. It might be worth trying for those of you that don't like messing with frozen foods.

I know they sell it at Petco and through the Drs. Foster and Smith website.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...u=0027349000000

I would never call my self Dingbat.I am not hiding.I am doing what the mods told me to do.Colby nice true percs.Dingbat dont forget ....You told me where the fish an page 15 came from.

bp i have a couple pairs that lay 100 to 1300 eggs i feed ten times a day why dont you ask colby or hyperboy how many eggs they get at least 800 to 1200 depending on how much food you give them. Its quanity and quality why would i use creatine cmon man be real. Thats just crazy. I use to have small nests when i started until i met a man named mark park who told me feed them cyclopeeze 6 times a day and I did and if i can give you any advice cyclopeeze will make your nests double trust me thats a lil secret

bp your thread is edited see ya

yah, so i talked with other breeders who use cyclop eeze, they told me around 600 eggs. just fyi ;)

christosclowns

listen three of my pairs lay 100 plus eggs they are also 4 and half inch females one is pushing 5 inches. Mitch my name is erik. I told you in other threads if you want to put this behind us great id be more than happy to send you people who are looking for onyx or more than happy to be civil if you want to great if not please just let everything go. thank you. And llisten there are plenty of breeders that have clutche of a thousand plus. A three inch fish wont give you 1200 eggs but a 4 inch fish will. I feed them ten times a day so you get bigger clutches

The reason I use the other name for you is your insultS directed at me,like Redneck, which I where as a badge of honer."we say grace, we say Mam, if ya ant in to that we dont give a damn" ,Now for Peace,,,,,,,,,,,,We are a strange bunch .The one thing that Eric and I can agree on about each other is ,"we are filled with passion for what we do".The passion AND competition is what breeds progress.Look at Nuclear energy,Partical Accelerator,Absolute Zero,Astronomy,Nascar.They are filled with Passionate people who are competing with one another.Each of them feel as though ,they are doing it right.If you put two of us in a room together,sparks{flam throwers} will fly.This is who we are.However Steal sharpens steal.We learn alot for this.If you can look at the War of the last week.Take out the insults and slander,,,what is left?alot of good info.I believe you guys have learned more about fish breading in the last week that in the last year.... A word to people who think about raising clowns....Before spending a ton of money,Are you Passionate?We are,,,, jump in the pool....Its shallow and There are no sharks here...LOL.Thank you Nano Reef for hosting our War and putting up with Our BS...................Mitch AKA Booyahs Reef

Erik,

you have some nice looking onyx babies. ive been reading a lot of old threads about onyx and the origin of them and was wondering what your take was on them. more specifically what makes an onyx an onyx? it seems like everybody has their own definition so i was wondering how you define one.

-Alberto

christosclowns

well honestly Bill Addison to me and to many is the origin of the onyx and his hatchery is called Cquest. An onyx to me has black all the way to the third bar and sometimes a black dorsal. Super onyx looks like a darwin but with and orange face and and hint of orange in the fins. Rod Beuhler or rods clowns has had a great reputaion for onyx clowns. Mitch although are differences hopefully are put past us has reputable onyx clowns and from what i see of my broodstock and offspring I will have reputable onyx clowns. I admire all the onyx that breeders have to offer. Yet some pairs that carry that cquest lineage only throw percentages of really good onyx and some dont. Thats why as other breeders have told me to hold on to the juvies until they are larfe enough to see if they will go onyx some will some wont i dont dknow why. Maybe the gene is recessive. for coloration. i have posted pictures of onyx like two pages back those to me are considered onyx clowns and to me they are the most beautiful of all. hope i answered it.

What i want you guys and gals to do is start posting questions about anything you have to ask I am going to post a new thread tonight check it out

I just wanted to give you a quick update. Omen, my larger baby onyx has now started to develop his tail-bar. Woo Hoo.. next will be more black development. I am sooooo happy.

omen08-2009.jpg

christosclowns

Here she is I said ok lets het her spawning again so i put her back into the breeding system last week and bam she had eggs tonight. They both ate them which is normal but next week or so well hoepfully be back into raising onyx again. So here are a couple pix post laying enjoy

IMG_2053.jpg

IMG_2056.jpg

IMG_2059.jpg

IMG_2062.jpg

IMG_2065.jpg

And this is the other pair that should be spawning within the next month or so I will add pix of some more onyx breeders of mine when i move them into the spawning system see ya

IMG_2071.jpg

I love the fish!! The new pair looks great. Keep us posted on the spawning. I'm interested if you have room on the wait list. PM sent.

Btw, how's the website coming along?

• 1 month later...

I wanted to post some updated pics of my babies. They are growing nicely.

In their new home giving them 3 times as much swimming room as before and lets more current into their area to get them to swim against the current in a couple different areas of the enclosure.

clowns09-09-2009.jpg

Close up of Omen. He mid-bar is coming in nicely.

bothonyx2-09-09-2009.jpg

Runt, has now started his mid-bar and it is coming in more on the right side than the left at this time.

runt09-09-2009.jpg

The only concern I have with these guys right now is that I am not seeing any indication of them developing the Onyx Black coloration. After going through the photos of everyone else whom has received a pair from Eric, these guys should have been showing black development ontheir body between the first and second bars about a month ago. So, I am gonna give it another month to see if they start to develop any more and check with Jim, who got them from Eric to see if any of the other people who bought them are seeing the color change yet or not.

Other than that, they are healthy as horses, and that is the main thing right now.

christosclowns

well i have kept in otuch with many people who have my fish and i have only seen two pairs not get full onyx to their tail bar. Lighting could play a role i keep them under t5 lights. Anenomes sometimes fade the black allot. If your not happy with them in a couple months ill be more than happy to grow some out for you when i have more and send you some free of charge. Right now i have no babies. I swapped a couple pairs around for stronger genes and i have been building a whole new system. I have taken a break obviously do to this and a new baby on the way. My family always comes first, then my restaurants then my fish. So i will keep in touch and let you know what haoppens

Yeah these guys are under T5 lighting but it is shaded in areas for now anyways. I am gonna give it time. I am not really complaining at all. I am just happy these guys are nice and healthy. While they may not color up, they do carry the genetics for it and sometimes I have seen if one generation doesn't color up well, the next is insane!

So, no trade back necessary. I wouldn't do that to my babies.

I go away for a few months and everyone's fighting. Not to put my head in the lion's mouth, but I will say this. I'm not into the science of clownfish and am in no way tempted to swab the mouths of my clownfish and send it to a lab for testing. I bought the fish from Erik. They arrived small and healthy. They are growing and turning black. Erik has called me several times to check on the progress (I don't think a con artist would do this) and made himself available to answer my questions. I would do it all again because I've enjoyed watching them grow from such a young age. In fact, knowing what I know now, I would pay extra to get them a little younger because for me, watching their growth has been the most satisfying part of this experience. That said, here's the original reason I logged back on: pictures showing the progress. Enjoy!

DSCN1118.jpg

DSCN1115.jpg

christosclowns

I wanna see some more pictures interesting how some are really black and others are slower to develope. Thats why im holding off so i can raise them to size where the black is already dominanrt

I wanna see some more pictures interesting how some are really black and others are slower to develope. Thats why im holding off so i can raise them to size where the black is already dominanrt

Here's an idea.

Archived