Pod Your Reef

Onyx Clowns Spawning

christosclowns

all aboard the bpkenn fail train

Way to take the same exact phrase, and turn it right back against me. cunning and witty.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The moderators have agreed to re-open these threads provided nobody gets out of line. With that I feel that christosclowns PMed apology can best explain the conclusion.

I answered yor question in pm if you want to copy and paste it go right ahead i wont answer again thank you

I pmed chris marks yesterday and told him that i was the cause of that argument. I told him it was not fair to close your thread because you were simpply attempting to show off your fish. I do apologize if I ruined it for you but i have worked my ass off breeding these clowns and I dont want to cause chaos. Your right your fish has awesome coloration and yes he may be a bit deformed in the head but some cquest pairs the majority of them do have that.One of my females has it not the male by the way Rods has it Mitches has it etc... Just because the parents have it does not neccessarilu mean the offspring will.

I'm glad we can clear that portion up. Mitch @ Booyah's produces some wicked onyx clownfish :) (most credit going to Bill addison of course!!!)

The deformity comes from nutritional and water paramters.

I don't agree with this. Why would we see this deformity in the wild caught fish then? I believe in natural selection, and to some extent, the oceans are one of the places that the taint of human existence has the...least immediate impact. Thusly I think it is a better indicator of nature taking its course.

my male is wild caught. All my males and picasso females are wild caught and yes one does have a hump but it does not affect the offspring.

If this "deformity" causes a major health issue to the fish, I would think that natural selection would have done the work of "culling" it from the ocean. Honestly, from this point forward, I will no longer be referring to that as a deformity. If it occurs in nature, and the fish survives along with the rest of the fittest, then it is obviously beneficial or negligible, and should not be looked upon negatively.

Your fish has amazing coloration and to you its beautiful just like to me mine is. I got out of hand you got out of hand etc... I am sorry sincerely

Thank you for the apology again, but I cannot return one to you. I do not feel I was out of hand. Such reactions on my part are to be expected when continuously provoked.

I really do it cuz I love it. Colby has ten pairs of my fish that are half an inch and almost completely black and he keeps them under t5 lights, where my brother has a pair of mine in a 29 jbj with halides and there not its hit or miss with early signs sometimes it takes a year or two.

That is why I would really urge you to grow your fish for a bit longer before you sell them as onyx. This way everyone knows they are getting what they are paying for.

edit: I would like to see Colby post some pictures of the completely black onyx that you bred if he doesn't mind.

I send my apologies again if I did not answer your question and if I was a jerk off in your thread. I really did nothing wrong to mitch and if you ask others I really am a cool guy and very straight foward. I hope this answers your questions and I hope this can be behind us

I disagree, and im sure Mitch would also. What you did was clearly defamation, but thank you for the apology, and I will move on from this unless I am further provoked.

Erik, good to have this thread back up. You see my latest pictures?

The larger of my two jumped out the tank last week. I have a small opening in the hood for feeding. I opened it and went to grab some cyclopeeze and came back and the guy was on the floor. Couldn't have been more than a few minutes. I put him right back in and he was okay - he even ate right away. It did scare me nonetheless. I used to keep that little flap open all the time to allow the tank to cool off.

Not any more.

Star, you have escape artists too.. my oh my . LOL. I am just glad mine have not attempted to jump out of the tank when they got loose from their little home.

As for my feeding schedule I am at 3 to 4 times a day. If I need to go away for a weekend, I give them an extra feeding and then they are good. I have been able to leave them for three days and come back and they are happy and I feed them again immediately.

Also, my larger baby Omen has now learned how to tail blast any left over flakes on the bottom of the little home to lift them up and eat them. Runt is slowly learning from him, but just prefers to eat left overs straight from the bottom.

On the good side, I now have my 25g cycling preping for Runt and the picasso. I should be able to add them in there after the long weekend in September. The only thing not cured and ready to go in that tank was the live sand.

I will update pics as I go along.

christosclowns

Awesome I'm on my iPhone so I'll respond with a LOL advice tonight nebthet and star talk to ya soon

46 pages yet i see no onyx at all, no black dorsal, no black connecting the third bar. Even the ones colby posted just look like regular percs. Impressive broodstock its a shame the breeder is as low as to massacre the nano reef fish forum and expect respect from future buyers and or breeders. Would i most likely buy from a breeder who can piss out someones family or the guy who will replace clowns if one is not happy with? Sure you may give out fish left and right but essentially you are lieing that they are onyx. Seriously find your self another hobby.

christosclowns

heres more pix of other ones as well

59916054.jpg

IMG]http://i401.photobucket.com/albums/pp98/Christos_Clowns/59736050.jpg[/img]

another offspring pic

46274692.jpg

51575290.jpg

IMG]http://i401.photobucket.com/albums/pp98/Christos_Clowns/51325178.jpg[/img]

here is anothe roffspring pic with one of my picasso offspring as well

51325178.jpg

73657430-1.jpg

73577432.jpg

offspring at 38 days

63076321.jpg

offspring at 3 months old

68336865.jpg

offspring at 7 months old

74077409-1.jpg

74087410-1.jpg

offspring at one year old

60956099.jpg

How much Creatine do you feed your broodstock?

Dude you guys just got your threads back up and here we are again. LEAVE IT ALONE.

christosclowns

steve no one is fishting I havent said anyhting negative and thats what i was asked to do i am simply sharing pictures. Did you not see this new user dingbat aka mitch in disguise lol cmon man

steve no one is fishting I havent said anyhting negative and thats what i was asked to do i am simply sharing pictures. Did you not see this new user dingbat aka mitch in disguise lol cmon man

Kind of tough to make a claim like that without evidence. Do you have proof?

Also, you never answered my question, how much CREATINE do you feed your broodstock?

christosclowns

lol your funny bp i feed the freshest seafood you could ever get right from my distributors nice try though hey werent you supposed to stay out of my thread i

lol your funny bp i feed the freshest seafood you could ever get right from my distributors nice try though hey werent you supposed to stay out of my thread i

right up until the minute you popped in on my thread, uninvited.

From what I gather, true percs & onyx spawn the avg nest size of around 300-400 eggs, with a maximum around 600. So, what are you feeding your fish to induce 1300 egg nests? must not be very natural eh? fish don't seem to spawn that large of nests in the wild.

christosclowns

bp i have a couple pairs that lay 100 to 1300 eggs i feed ten times a day why dont you ask colby or hyperboy how many eggs they get at least 800 to 1200 depending on how much food you give them. Its quanity and quality why would i use creatine cmon man be real. Thats just crazy. I use to have small nests when i started until i met a man named mark park who told me feed them cyclopeeze 6 times a day and I did and if i can give you any advice cyclopeeze will make your nests double trust me thats a lil secret

bp your thread is edited see ya

SpankythePyro

Cyclops also seems to increase growth rate... I've noticed it with the 6 baby picassos I have. The 4 that got a cyclops diet 3 times a day quickly outgrew the 2 that got flake 3 times a day

Cyclops also seems to increase growth rate... I've noticed it with the 6 baby picassos I have. The 4 that got a cyclops diet 3 times a day quickly outgrew the 2 that got flake 3 times a day

+1 I agree. Seems a true frozen meaty food does wonders for growth rate on my clowns. I've got one at home I feed only flake and his coloration and size lacks versus the one at my office that gets regular frozen foods.

christosclowns

Cyclop-eeze Nutrition Reports

Introduction

Cyclop-eeze are derived from the family of copepod grown in a pristine, arctic salina in the north of Canada. Cyclop-eeze thrive during the short spring and summertime season. They forage on Spirulina rich in the highly unsaturated fatty acids (HUFA’s) and biological pigments. More importantly, the Cyclop-eeze are busy synthesizers of HUFA’s, especially the important omega (w-3) variety. Our previous research showed that the pigments were simply accumulated by Cyclop-eeze in proportion to its abundance in their diets. The pigments protected Cyclop-eeze from harmful photodynamic effects of visible lights. Our research also showed that cold water temperature contributed positively to the brilliant orange color and active behavior of Cyclop-eeze. The special salt lake (pH 9.7, Salinity 72 ppt) where Cyclop-eeze grow is unique as it is very rich in a wide variety of inorganic chemicals, several of which are important elements in specific needed for the production of HUFA’s and biological pigments. Upon harvest, the Cyclop-eeze are immediately deep frozen so that the important nutrients are retained. Shortly thereafter, the frozen blocks are taken to the Argent plant for freeze drying (lyophilization).

Analytical Method

Fatty Acid Profile : American Organization of Analytical Chemistry (AOAC) Method 969.33

Free Amino Acid: AOAC Method 982.30, Section D & F

Mineral Profile: Freeze-dried Cyclop-eeze were minced in a grinder, and whole Cyclop- eeze dry weights were determined by drying to a constant weight at 105oC. After drying, the samples were charred and then incinerated at 550oC for 16 h. The ash was dissolved in a mixture of equal parts of concentrated HCl and HNO3, and appropriately diluted within the analytical capabilities of the ICP-MS.(Jarrelll-Ash Atom, Fisher Scientific, Waltham, MA).

Carotenoid Profile: Chromatography: An aliquot of sample (2.5 g) was extracted in Acetone (2 times, soak, grind, soak) and the extract cleared by filtration through a glass fiber through a glass fiber filter. The extract was analyzed by reverse-phase HPLC (Varian Microsorb C18 MV) and the peaks were integrated at 480 nm.

Mass-Spectroscopy: a concentrated sample was injected on the rp-HPLC system and the carotenoids peaks were collected and subjected to mass-spectroscopy on a Finigan LCQ to confirm. The fragmentation patterns are consistent with the structure of correstponding carotenoids.

UV/Vis Spectrometer: A 1 g sample of Cyclopee was extracted in 30 ml acetone by sonication (2x5 min) in an ice bath. The particulate matter was centrifuged off. The absorbance of the extract was measured at 481 nm to calculated the carotenoid concentration of the Cyclopee using an extinction coefficient of E (1%, 1cm)=2100 (UNESCO handbook).

Results

Cyclop-eeze are very rich in fatty acid (35%), especially the importand fatty acid EPA(11.74%) and DHA (11.09%). By comparing with Artemia, Cyclop-eezee appear to be a very good source of n3 (w-3) fatty acids and the fatty acid profile of Cyclop-eezee is similar to that of menhaden fish oil used in dish diets. Cyclop-eeze are also rich in the 17 essential amino acids and minerals.

The carotenoid data show that Cyclopee have very high astaxanthin concentration comparared with Artemia. (A comparison between Cyclop-eeze and Artemia was shown in Table 1.) Cyclop-eeze have been successfully used for pigmenting shrimp, rainbow trout, tropicals (Marine and Fresh), etc. in many test feed around the world. 94% of the carotenoid of Cyclop-eeze is astaxanthin, which imparts the red hue to aquatic animals. The astaxanthin accumulated in the skin of samon and ornamental fish is mostly an esterified form of the carotenoid. Test feed reports of Cyclopee showed that daitary astaxanthin esters result in pigment depositions several times higher than either freee astaxanthin or other piment sources. Enhanced coloration effect (2%-5%) is very evident through thest studies. Growth enhancement is 15%-30%, and reporductive enhancement is 5%-15%.

Table 1 Cyclop-eeze and Artemia Nutrients Comparison

Parameters Cyclop-eeze Artemia

Protein 60 73

Lipid 35 18

Ash 3 5

Carbonhydrate 2 3

Astaxanthin 2867 ppm <D.L

Canthaxanthin 15 ppm 102 ppm

18:3n3 (Linolenic Acid) 10.45% 1.3%

20:5n3 (EPA) 11.74% 0.25

22:6n3 (DHA) 11.09% 2.7%

Enzyme Activity

(Superoxide Dismutase)

30,000 22,500

Average Body Length 800 um 400 um

The key here is lipids thats what makes huge nests LIPIDS thats why you feed fish roes because its huge in lipids cyclopeeze is my borrdstocks main diet as small as it is and as much as some might say it wont fill them up trust me i go through 20 lbs of cyclopeeze a month i know

Archived