SaltCritters.com

MJ's 20L Formerly-AIO, now with a sump!

Militant Jurist

Militant Jurist

The new tub is enjoying a vinegar bath! I've got the sump from my 29g skimmer in there as well, on account of it needing a cleaning as well. I figure I'll let the pump run for the next few hours in the vinegar water, then I'll scrub the sump a bit and wash the pump. If it's not back to running properly, I'll soak it again, I suppose.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Militant Jurist

Ok, so the sump tub is drying out after it's vinegar and then FW baths. I've got the vinyl tubing, the return pumps, and all of the parts to make that happen.

Soooooooo....... the question becomes: What to do with the tub?

Given that my sump-worthy equipment consists only of a heater, chemi-pure and filter floss, I've got a lot of room left in the tub. I'm thinking of using the rest as a fuge. I'd like to get some cheato on a reverse light cycle to help with pH stability. Should I also do a DSB? The tub is 14 gallons, but I'm not sure if that's enough surface area to make a DSB worthwhile. I think I'll also place some additional rock in the tub, to assist in bio-filtration. To protect the return pump, I'm going to make an eggcrate box/shield for the pump, and use plexi to give it a solid surface. The pump also has a filter/sponge surrounding the intake, which should prevent cheato or sand from getting into the pump.

Thoughts?

Militant Jurist
Eh, don't do a DSB.

Too much potential for trouble if it goes wrong.

Yeah, I ran into that when I tried a DSB in my 10g. I just wasn't sure if the risk came strictly from the possibility of stirring, which is significantly greater in a DT, or if it just carried inherent risks. I was hoping for a bit of denitrification in addition to nutrient export in the sump. I was also thinking of getting some of the sea grasses, but now that I think about it, my plan for lighting (either a CFL or some of my T8s from my FW planted aquarium) might not support grasses very well.

What do you think I should do with the rest of the area? Sandbed, no sandbed? LR, no LR? Maybe just a big honkin wad of cheato? :P

Well if you wanted to get really creative, you could make into a tidepool tank.

You'll be looking down into it from the top anyway, line the sides and bottom with rock, put cool little oddities in there, I dunno.

Militant Jurist
Well if you wanted to get really creative, you could make into a tidepool tank.

You'll be looking down into it from the top anyway, line the sides and bottom with rock, put cool little oddities in there, I dunno.

:o :o :o :o :o

omgomgomg

I love this idea! I could also toss some of my many mushies in there, which I'd imagine would grow, albeit slowly, under CFL lighting. I'll have to check the view once I get the tub in place, but it sounds like a dry rock purchase is in my future!

I'm guessing I should probably also stock up on some putty, to make sure the rocks on the wall don't cave in.

Militant Jurist
:happydance:

It's nice to be good for something every once in a while....

You've been on a roll lately. ;)

Thanks for the idea Weetie! :happy:

Militant Jurist

I've been noticing more cyano lately, so I'm starting to wonder if my phosphates are climbing. Unfortunately, I don't have a reliable test kit for phosphates these days. However, I'm thinking of building one of the DIY Phosban Reactors, like this one to help with that. It can also go in the sump / tide pool. I've got the extra pump that is currently the return on the chamber, so it can essentially be made for only the cost of the media.

I'm even drinking the Gatorade right now! ;)

Militant Jurist

B)

And, since the outer box now fits properly, I've got the full range of motion for the adjustment slider. Now, it's time to find out what's up with my skimmer, DIY the phosban, and perhaps pick up some cheato for the sump. :D

Militant Jurist
What's all that schtuff on top of the overflow? Aluminum foil hat to keep out the Alienz!

Haha it was actually my gloves. I had to move the frog/mushie rock around, and that rock is full of bristleworms. I didn't want a run in, so I gloved up! ;)

Archived