Innovative Marine Aquariums

MJ's 20L Formerly-AIO, now with a sump!

Militant Jurist

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Militant Jurist

It appears that we have complete annihilation!

Photo time:

The (hopefully red bug free) deep red acro:

100_1075.jpg

The green slimer - look at how it's grown!

100_1076.jpg

I'm hoping that the placement of the monti digi will result in some cool growth :D

100_1074.jpg

Monti-Acro Central:

100_1073.jpg

The frogspawn is FINALLY splitting, after all of this time! Looks like each head is splitting:

100_1070.jpg

FTS (pay no attention to the man *ahem* algae behind the glass):

100_1077.jpg

Militant Jurist
Looking awesome Tyler!!! :o

Great to see your efforts starting to pay off for you!

Sweet! B)

Thanks Richie! I can't wait until I can get the overflow on this thing and running. I just need to find some dough for a return pump, and unfortunately that probably won't be until after the first of the year.

I might even get a fish for it! :o

I'm also looking forward to seeing some of my frags in a WL member's tank. :happy:

Militant Jurist
:happydance:omgomgomg

:D

Now I just need to go get two sections of flexible pipe and a jug of vinegar. I also need to come up with a way of securing the drain line to the tank. I'm actually thinking of super gluing it to a piece of eggcrate, and then putting a rock on top of it. Ghetto fab style.

If the drain is going to be coming down in one of the corners, paint some small lengths of eggcrate the same color blue as the tub. The Super glue them to the corner that the tube will come down and zip tie the tube to the eggcrate.

shrug.gif

Militant Jurist

It will indeed be going into a corner. Exxxceellllleeennnnt. I like it! I've got a ton of egg crate, and this sounds like a plan to use some of it.

I was thinking on the drive home, maybe if the max water line is low enough you could just drill a couple of holes in the tub to put the zip ties through. Then not even any ghetto eggcrate.

Militant Jurist
I was thinking on the drive home, maybe if the max water line is low enough you could just drill a couple of holes in the tub to put the zip ties through. Then not even any ghetto eggcrate.

That's actually probably the idea I'll go with. It's a 14 gallon tote, so I'm thinking that I could drill the holes within the top few inches of the tub. I'm also going to rig up something for a filter sock, so if I have the flexible tubing going far enough into the sock, that should also add some support.

I like it!

I'll pick up the flex tubing tomorrow, so I just need to figure out how to best clean the tote in order to use it.

Why flex tubing? Aren't you afraid of accumulating detritus in the grooves, especially in the run from the display to the sump?

A good vinegar soaking for a day or so is the accepted cleaning method me thinks. But that is just what I think, have never done it to a plastic tote.

Militant Jurist
Why flex tubing? Aren't you afraid of accumulating detritus in the grooves, especially in the run from the display to the sump?

A good vinegar soaking for a day or so is the accepted cleaning method me thinks. But that is just what I think, have never done it to a plastic tote.

By flex tubing, I think I'm talking about something different that what you are. This is the smooth inside and outside stuff, that is just flexible. I think HD calls it "vinyl tubing."

Well, since I need to get some vinegar anyways for the 29g skimmer, I think I'll just run the pump in the new tote! How much water to how much vinegar do you use?

Militant Jurist
I'd fill the tote up to a point where the pump won't push it around over the top and use maybe a half a gallon of vinegar.

Thanks for the numbers.

Ok, now I'm off to pick up the slimer and a tri-color!

Militant Jurist
Woo Hoo!!!!!!!! Bundle up it is frigid out there.

inorite? It was so cold that I think my nuts were in my throat. :huh:

Well.... I got 'em! I got the largest slimer frag from the picture, and I ended up getting the $20 colony. However, he gave it to me for $15. So, grand total, $30. Also, there was a good size star tagging along with the slimer. :happy:

I think the tri-color will go in this tank, and the slimer will go in the 29g. Both are temp acclimating for another 8 minutes, and then I'll start the drip for both.

Militant Jurist
Really? You drip your coral too?

Yeah, three reasons:

1) I had one batch of frags die from too quick of an acclimation

2) It's my understanding that dripping is the best way to acclimate

3) It's the easiest way to acclimate. :P

Archived