Top Shelf Aquatics

MJ's 20L Formerly-AIO, now with a sump!

Militant Jurist

Lol yeah, I just don't have much room or cash for spoiling. ;) I'm graduating with my J.D. in January and taking the bar exam in February, so I won't be able to work during those two months, and I'm starting my own practice after I get the license (hopefully by June or July). Money will be tight, but I'm hoping to have enough frags grown by then to pay for any upgrades. :D

Well once the practice gets going you can pay people to do your set ups but then that would just take all the fun out of it :lol: Goodluck with the Exam!!!

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Militant Jurist
Well once the practice gets going you can pay people to do your set ups but then that would just take all the fun out of it :lol: Goodluck with the Exam!!!

Exactly! The fun is all in the setup. My goal once I build a bigger house is to have a built-in 125g (or maybe larger ;) ) tank.

Thanks!

----

In other news, I was comparing some of the photos from when I first got the green slimer and it's current look, and it's amazing the growth that is already present. More of the plug has been encrusted, and the whole coral is just a bit fatter. B)

If you're just using it as a frag rack, I'd sit the frags on the sand bed for a day while the rack is cleaned and painted. Krylon fusion dries amazingly fast, so if you have the time to put in across a single day, you could get it cleaned and painted within one day, and back in action as a frag rack.

Yeah I pulled it out yesterday, hopefully I wont need it again, I fit the frags in diff spots around the tank. I should have my 20 going soon so Ill have plenty of room.

Lol yeah, I just don't have much room or cash for spoiling. ;) I'm graduating with my J.D. in January and taking the bar exam in February, so I won't be able to work during those two months, and I'm starting my own practice after I get the license (hopefully by June or July). Money will be tight, but I'm hoping to have enough frags grown by then to pay for any upgrades. :D

If your smart about it an upgrade won't cost much at all. When you plan well you can get alot of good deals on used equipment, and of course the money saving DIY projects.

Militant Jurist
Yeah I pulled it out yesterday, hopefully I wont need it again, I fit the frags in diff spots around the tank. I should have my 20 going soon so Ill have plenty of room.

You'll be amazed at how fast a 20 can fill up! I moved from a 10 to a 20 back in april, and I'm already running out of room!

If your smart about it an upgrade won't cost much at all. When you plan well you can get alot of good deals on used equipment, and of course the money saving DIY projects.

That's what I'm hoping for. Between the hardware classifieds here and on the local reef club, I'm hoping to get what I need. Once I get it done, I'm thinking of making the second tank partially a frag tank.

Militant Jurist

After doing some research and observing the polyps on the purple monti, I believe that I've actually got a frag of Idaho grape monti cap. The birdsnest has got some kind of hair algae growing on it, so it looks like I've got to take care of that. Other than that, the frags are doing well thus far. I just need to find a place to mount them now. ;)

Needreefunds

Tank looks sweet MJ

....needs a lifereef tho :P

I mean, that ten is just a sittin' down there. :lol:

BTW, the chalice growth is awesome!

Militant Jurist
Tank looks sweet MJ

....needs a lifereef tho :P

I mean, that ten is just a sittin' down there. :lol:

BTW, the chalice growth is awesome!

Thanks!

Yeah, in the last hour, I've caught my mind wandering to various ways with which I could scrounge up the dough to buy the lifereef and a return pump! I think some time on Monday will be spent looking on ebay for used return pumps. I doubt I'd find a lifereef overflow used, though.

I'm also thinking about how I can turn the 10 into a sump and frag tank, all together. I had been thinking about a fuge, but without fish, I don't need to worry about needing more pods or growing massive amounts of cheato! ;) After I convert the 10, the next question would be what in the world to store WC water in!

I've been really happy with the growth of the chalice. It's got some great colors, and it's been growing pretty fast. I was rather upset when I thought I had lost it a while back after a prolonged power outage, but now it's better than I had even imagined! I probably should frag it and maybe sell it if I knew a name other than aussie, I'm rather sure, chalice. However, I would just feel awful if I killed it in the process. The chalice a lot of soft tissue around the edge, so I think I'll wait for the hard structure to grow further before I try it.

Militant Jurist

Well, I finally gave it to the Vortech MP10 temptation. I was getting concerned about the flow in my tank, with there being many low/no flow areas, but also may high and rather laminar flow areas. My frog was seeming to be very unhappy about being on the receiving end, and it was making it difficult to place new corals due to the space taken up by the Koralias.

I bought it from an NR member, so in a few days, I'll have a new toy and the requisite photos to post here!

Needreefunds

'grats on the MP10 !

I love my mp20 :happy:

And hey, you never know on the used Lifereef. Just keep an eye out as they say. I'll shoot ya a PM should I see one. ;)

Militant Jurist
'grats on the MP10 !

I love my mp20 :happy:

I'm glad you're enjoying yours too. With so many people with great tanks saying such good things about it, I thought I needed to move in the right direction. Not only will it allow me to correct some circulation and turnover issues, but I can also get more a natural feel from the tank. I'm hoping that it helps my SPS look fantastic as well! I was kind of bummed out when my first monti cap started taking a very smooth look, rather than the traditional look. Once I learned that it was caused by flow, I knew I needed to do something!

What setting (type and %) do you use on your mp20?

And hey, you never know on the used Lifereef. Just keep an eye out as they say. I'll shoot ya a PM should I see one. ;)

I'd certainly appreciate it! Until then, my 10g will just sit there holding WC water. It's like it's preparing for that glorious day! B)

Militant Jurist

Any suggestions on placement? I suppose that technically I could put it on the back wall, but I doubt that's effective, and it's certainly not practical.

Given that, I know that it needs to go on the right side of the tank. Should I put it, vertically, bottom, middle or top? Same question for front to back placement.

Needreefunds

As for placement, well, I'm gonna suggest what you probably already know.

Experiment. :P

Seriously, each tank is unique scape wise and coral placement as well so trial and error methinks.

Same with mode and %

As for me, pretty sure its still cranked up on that reef crest mode. :P

Militant Jurist
Experiment. :P

That's a very dangerous thing to say to someone like me. ;)

Looks like I'll just be playing with it for a while!

Congrats I'm so jealous I've been thinking about buying a mp10 since I heard about it. I understand what you mean about space. My k2 looks so huge and takes up so much space in the corner and I don't even have coral all other the place :lol: . Can't wait to see pics and read if you think it was worth the purchase I might just have to buy one in a few more months.

Militant Jurist

I've also been concerned about the flow in certain areas of my tank. I wanted a more diffuse pattern, but I couldn't get it with the koralias without ####### off some of my coral. The MP10 should really do the trick!

I'd like to use the short burst setting and get a good wave, but I'm concerned about the overflow. With the current setup, it would cause more of a splash into the chamber. When I upgrade into a true overflow siphon, it could also cause the water levels to become irregular within the tank and the sump. So, I'm thinking that I might alternate it between reef crest and lagoon, with as much power as I can give it without ####### off my low-flow corals!

I think I'm going to do the obligatory photo of the shipping box when I get it. ;) No promises though. If I end up being in court on Tuesday, I might be unable to overcome the urge to rip the box apart and put the unit together ASAP. :P

EDIT: POST # 2000! B)

Needreefunds
That's a very dangerous thing to say to someone like me. ;)

:huh::P

Looks like I'll just be playing with it for a while!

And this ^^^^ my friend, is a very dangerous thing to say to someone like me

:lol:

Did not make it into my signature...close....but yet no. :D

BTW, about the Vortech changing water levels, not noticeable on my 46. I hear the heavier sounding flow- almost a splash at times -but the inside overflow box handles this with ease and display level remains unchanged.

Congrats on 2k MJ. :)

Militant Jurist
And this ^^^^ my friend, is a very dangerous thing to say to someone like me

:lol:

Did not make it into my signature...close....but yet no. :D

omgomgomg Haha I didn't even think about it when I typed it! That would have been my second quotable... jerzsky has a quote in his sig of one of my best! B)

BTW, about the Vortech changing water levels, not noticeable on my 46. I hear the heavier sounding flow- almost a splash at times -but the inside overflow box handles this with ease and display level remains unchanged.

That's very good to know! Since you use the same kind of overflow I want to get, it's nice to not have to worry so much about it.

Congrats on 2k MJ. :)

Thanks! It took me a while, but the hiatus I took from here, working a two different law offices all while taking an overloaded credit semester, certainly didn't speed things up. It's nice to be back and making progress with my ocean box.

Militant Jurist
Sweet dude, now I can decide on a mp10.

After I read your review :D

Glad I will be able to help! B)

I think I will try reef crest around 75% or so, and work my way up. Depending on how my overflow reacts, I might also try short burst. I'll post pictures of at least both modes. My camera has a video capability, so I might try to take some video for reference. This should be fun!

Militant Jurist

After doing some thinking (and listening to further attempts by my family to talk me into getting SW fish), I'm seriously contemplating tearing down my PITA freshwater planted tank. When I moved into the house, I didn't give much thought to where I put my 29g planted. It doesn't have a painted back, and of course, where it's located gets a lot of indirect sunlight, and some direct sunlight through the back. As such, I'm CONSTANTLY battling algae of various forms, which is tough to do in FW with plants. Unlike in SW, I can't just run a skimmer and do WCs. I've got to try to balance CO2, lighting (which sucks in FW), iron, etc. In short, it's a PITA.

Soooo.....

I'm starting to figure out what I could do with a 29g tank. I'm thinking 29g display with either a 10g or 20H sump. I'm debating between doing 4x24w T5HO again, or getting a fishneedit 150w MH for about the same price as the T5HO. If I do this, it's probably going to be SPS and LPS dominated. I will probably bite the bullet and get a few fish with this tank, so I'll be running a skimmer of some type. To avoid the problems of overflows, I'd either buy the glass holes kit, or get my LFS to do it for me.

Thoughts?

NRF: Of course, if I go this route, the overflow for the 20L is on indefinite hold!

Needreefunds
NRF: Of course, if I go this route, the overflow for the 20L is on indefinite hold!

I would have guessed that :P

Gonna drill it or have it drilled though huh? Cool.

That would be my move as well. The overflow is great for adding a sump to an already running tank. But setting up a system from ground zero.....well I'd drill it too. :)

Militant Jurist
I would have guessed that :P

Gonna drill it or have it drilled though huh? Cool.

That would be my move as well. The overflow is great for adding a sump to an already running tank. But setting up a system from ground zero.....well I'd drill it too. :)

It will be a whole new world for me... my first drilled tank! Of course, it will give me a lot of homework to do, on how to properly set up the PVC plumbing! Aside from the plumbing, the other big issue is the lighting... there are just so many options, and I've never done anything other than T5HO, so I'm torn!

Needreefunds
It will be a whole new world for me... my first drilled tank! Of course, it will give me a lot of homework to do, on how to properly set up the PVC plumbing! Aside from the plumbing, the other big issue is the lighting... there are just so many options, and I've never done anything other than T5HO, so I'm torn!

The planning, info and hardware gathering and the actual build is usually the most enjoyable part of the hobby for me.

Militant Jurist
The planning, info and hardware gathering and the actual build is usually the most enjoyable part of the hobby for me.

I used to do drafting work, so I enjoy the planning and building as well, I just hate that initial start where you get stuck thinking.... ok, where to start!

I'm excited though that this project would involve me building another tank stand... and for this one, I've got a few new ideas! I think I'm going to drill the back of the tank, as I have no idea whether the bottom is tempered, so that gives me a few more options.

The 29g is in my living room, so I'd also be able to enjoy it more. The 20L is in my home office, where I try to not spend too much time! ;)

The only downside about this phase is that it's another money sink! I'm trying to think not only of what the best thing to do would be, but how in the world I'd scrounge up the cash for it! I think this project might involve a lot of purchases from the hardware classifieds for the light fixture, unless I go for the fishneedit, but certainly for a return pump, heater, skimmer, etc.

Archived