Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

MJ's 20L Formerly-AIO, now with a sump!

Militant Jurist

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Militant Jurist

Yup, that looks to be about the same! Thanks for pointing out another one. :D

I haven't fed mine yet, and it still looks to be OK. If it is cladocora, it is indeed a photosynthetic coral. :D

• 3 weeks later...
Militant Jurist

Happy new coral day! ;)

Today's additions include an ORA German Blue Polyp Digitata (it kind of broke into 3 sections):

100_0905.jpg

100_0909.jpg

100_0908.jpg

A Green w/ blue tip acro:

100_0907.jpg

And a Green Montipora Spongodes:

100_0906.jpg

Militant Jurist
I actually forgot about this tank/thread--I've been having too much fun following the barrel o'monkeys! :blush:

It's quite OK. :D That's the party & tank thread, and this is just the tank thread. :P

Very nice! :D

Thanks! I went to this local reefer's house expecting to walk away with a few small frags... when he broke out the hacksaw and started chopping away at his HUGE monti spongodes colony, I knew I was going to walk out with a massive deal! B)

Militant Jurist

Hmm.... my new monti spongodes seems to have lost all of its color, and there's a quite a bit of slimey stuff on it. :huh:

With the amount of light, it's hard to tell how the blue acro is doing just yet, but I'm starting to get concerned about it too. The ORA german blue seems to be OK though, with some polyp extension. I did a WC today to cover my bases.

I'm hoping that it's perhaps just the coral getting adjusted and it's POed about the move. The coral had been in the other person's tank for many, many years, so I'd be ticked about getting moved too! ;)

Could it be something worse? All of my established corals are OK (monti caps have polyps extended, green slimer isn't as extended, but he's still showing some extension, and all of my LPS are looking fine).

• 3 weeks later...
Militant Jurist

Well, unfortunately neither of the new frags made it. I'm not sure about the acro, since it was kind of a bleached color to begin with. I think it was too short of an acclimation and too much of a difference between my tank and their original tank.

Everything else is doing just fine, however. I hadn't taken any pictures for a while, so here are a few!

100_0981.jpg

100_0980.jpg

100_0977.jpg

100_0984.jpg

100_0985.jpg

100_0979.jpg

100_0982.jpg

100_0983.jpg

Militant Jurist
sorry to here bout the new corals wish i could help but i have never had any!

:happy:

I had a bad feeling as soon as I put them in the tank, because something came up and I couldn't acclimate them for as long as I would have liked to. Now, I've got a proper drip acclimation system, so hopefully this won't happen again.

At least everything is doing well though.

So, I'm thinking about building this week the tanks CM gave me. I plan on using the 15g and an overflow with the 20L. Should I use it as:

(1) a sump with an in-sump skimmer (still no fish in this tank, though);

(2) a sump/fuge with an external skimmer;

(3) a sump/fuge with no skimmer;

(4) a frag tank.

Personally, I'm leaning toward the sump/fuge idea, but I'm still unsure about a skimmer. I'm thinking that with a fuge, what little nutrients enter the system as a result of target feeding will be efficiently exported. With that being the case, a skimmer would just be a redundancy.

2 with internal or external skimmer

if your keeping sps and clams i think the skimmer would just help make the system as stable as possible.

Hi Tyler!

Sorry about the frags. :(

Everything else is looking great. :) I like the sump/fuge idea, not sure you need a skimmer if you don't have any fish. :huh:

Militant Jurist
Hi Tyler!

Sorry about the frags. :(

wavey.gif

Thanks. I was really hoping they would be successful. I guess the upside is that they were rather inexpensive, especially for their sizes, and they were from a local reefer. In a few months or so, after my Lucid order, I might see about picking up a new set.

Everything else is looking great. :) I like the sump/fuge idea, not sure you need a skimmer if you don't have any fish. :huh:

Yeah, I'm leaning more and more that way. Given the way that my Reef Octopus is running now, with 40g of water and only one fish, I don't think that a similar skimmer would pull anything of significance out of a 30g system with no fish.

So do you see anything in those pictures you might like a frag of? If we do our OH/NY/NJ cyber-swap, those are the primary corals I have for fragging. In another month or so, I might have a couple more that I could frag, but not by much. I think I might frag the chalice and trumpet in the next week or so. I've also got some palys I'm going to frag up as well.

Oh, and I've got a bunch of mushies for the taking as well. ;)

Militant Jurist
Oh no! you left the European Theatre! :o

this tanks lookin awesome and more Pacific Theatre like :P

Didn't you hear? I was promoted to a five star, and made commander of allied forces. ;)

Thanks! This tank is becoming more and more of a high-end coral tank, while the 29g will be a full mixed-reef system... in the spirit of a unified Germany as it nears it's 20 year anniversary. B)

I finally made it through all 8 pages :happy: . I went with #2 myself using an overflow and a 10G sump/fuge and HOB skimmer. I noticed you were looking at an overflow and missed out. I have a spare that didn't fit well in my 10G that may work great for your 20G. It is almost just like the one that you looked at. I have PVC glued into it and it has 3/4" threaded PVC ready for plumbing. Let me know and I will send pics.

Sorry about your frags. It's odd that a shorter acclimation would do that. I have only ever float acclimated mine to match the temps then just put them in the water and they have all survived. Maybe I got lucky?

Militant Jurist
I finally made it through all 8 pages :happy: .

I feel bad for the people who try to make it through all 30+ of my other thread! :P

I went with #2 myself using an overflow and a 10G sump/fuge and HOB skimmer. I noticed you were looking at an overflow and missed out. I have a spare that didn't fit well in my 10G that may work great for your 20G. It is almost just like the one that you looked at. I have PVC glued into it and it has 3/4" threaded PVC ready for plumbing. Let me know and I will send pics.

I just may have to do that! I need to get the new tank built first, but you may be providing the answer to my problem. :D

Sorry about your frags. It's odd that a shorter acclimation would do that. I have only ever float acclimated mine to match the temps then just put them in the water and they have all survived. Maybe I got lucky?

I think with SPS, it needs a good, solid acclimation. Plus, I was suffering from a rather high salinity then. It had managed to drift upwards after a couple of weeks, getting as high as 1.3! I've worked it back down to 1.25, but I think there was a bit of a salinity shock to the frags as well. All of my other corals I think were slowly eased up to the 1.3 and were slowly eased back down. The frags, on the other hand, went from whatever salinity the guy had to a 1.3 in about 10 minutes (after a 15 minute float). -_-

Didn't you hear? I was promoted to a five star, and made commander of allied forces. ;)

Thanks! This tank is becoming more and more of a high-end coral tank, while the 29g will be a full mixed-reef system... in the spirit of a unified Germany as it nears it's 20 year anniversary. B)

:lol::haha:

i didnt get the telegraph :eek:

sorry Sir ;)

:bowdown:

Archived