inTank Media Baskets

I want a flame scallop

GIRLGONEAQUA

I had one in an old 55 galon tank a few years back.. They are hungry buggers, but very easy to keep. The only problem is they like to move around alot unless you were to glue them in place which would be sort of cruel. It is actually really cool watching them 'swim' around, but can get annoying and I could see them knocking over rockwork and dislodging frags and such in a nano tank..

I remember that I had to redecorate my tank once a day if not more. I wouldn't glue them to place because they go where they like the current.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
dahliaheartsyou
From what I've read, they need a lot of food, and the best method is to literally submerged them in a feeding tank with plankton.

+1

from reefkeeping "Although commonly kept, for a while, by many aquarists, flame scallops, Lima spp., have a dismal survival record in aquaria. They generally starve after a few months. Only in aquaria where phytoplankton is highly dosed, or whose water contains a lot of particulate material, will these beautiful animals survive. Their long sensory tentacles are extensions from the mantle's edge."

don't do it, by buying them you are only promoting the sale of organisms that we cannot properly provide for that starve slowly to death.

$$$ > experience when it comes to learning. i would know.

True. $ really is the backbone of a successful tank. Your husbandry could be perfect, but, without the $ you lose the game.

This statement is literally not true. Everything I have I never bought because someone said dont. I wouldnt ask people if I can have one of anything if it ment I was going to do it anyways.

i remember telling you not to get the ocellaris and percula b/c they would not pair up.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...170208&st=0

then when you finally added the clowns to your tank, they didn't get along. wow, who would have thought?

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...=170734&hl=

i don't see why you even bother asking people for advice anymore...

i'll attempt when i upgrade to biocube 29g

Why? You know it will die within a few months plus 99 percent of the replies have stated that you shouldn't get one. What do you plan on doing differently to keep it alive? -_-

i remember telling you not to get the ocellaris and percula b/c they would not pair up.

then when you finally added the clowns to your tank, they didn't get along. wow, who would have thought?

I agree, use common sense and listen to the majority of the people on here.

LMAO

Listen to these people. They aren't telling you no to be mean. The answer is NO because they require extremely dirty water that would normally kill most corals. If you did go ahead and purchase one, even if you supplemented daily feeding, your dissolved nutrient levels would rise and you would slowly starve a creature to death. You could say "Hey I got one to live for 12 months", but in actuality its just a slow death.

I'm gonna go ahead and spearhead you here and say don't get any tangs either. Please don't ask why.

Listen to these people. They aren't telling you no to be mean. The answer is NO because they require extremely dirty water that would normally kill most corals. If you did go ahead and purchase one, even if you supplemented daily feeding, your dissolved nutrient levels would rise and you would slowly starve a creature to death. You could say "Hey I got one to live for 12 months", but in actuality its just a slow death.

I'm gonna go ahead and spearhead you here and say don't get any tangs either. Please don't ask why.

exactly. if you read those threads i've posted you'll see just how nice of a person i can be. i was politely trying to help her. then she ignored my advice and i told her that she should have listened to me, but continued to offer advice to try and make some good out of her poor decision.

at some point, however, enough it enough. stop buying things when everyone is telling you not to.

exactly. if you read those threads i've posted you'll see just how nice of a person i can be. i was politely trying to help her. then she ignored my advice and i told her that she should have listened to me, but continued to offer advice to try and make some good out of her poor decision.

at some point, however, enough it enough. stop buying things when everyone is telling you not to.

Agreed. It's good to see exactly how helpful and informative you are outside of the Lounge :lol:.

When I was new to the hobby my LFS sold me my first fish, I bought 2 ocellaris clowns. Latter (5 months) I noticed one was completely different from the other. That is I bought 1 ocellaris clown and 1 percula clown. They are doing well in my tank and have a fondness for each other.

Point of story... Nothing is impossible. Just highly unlikely.

I'm gonna experiment with some when I set up my 40 breeder by keeping dense clouds of copepods swimming in the water column.

Flame Scallops don't eat pods buddy.

When I was new to the hobby my LFS sold me my first fish, I bought 2 ocellaris clowns. Latter (5 months) I noticed one was completely different from the other. That is I bought 1 ocellaris clown and 1 percula clown. They are doing well in my tank and have a fondness for each other.

I do not agree, some things are NOT AT ALL possible. I now remember why I'm not on NR a lot. Straight stupid. :lol:

er1c_the_reefer

google: "percularis"

Dont feel bad OP. There are alot of things that are hard to keep. sometimes I'd rather try than letting the Fish Store just kill them.

And yes I have had one, and also tons of Gorgonias people said not to bother with.

;)

okay I wont get a scallop. Thought Id ask. and my perc and ocell were my two first fish, and they were a match at the LFS till I brought them home, and the reason one died was stress. Sorry. That was my only mistake buy.

and I dont like tangs to be honest. to boring for me.

Dont feel bad OP. There are alot of things that are hard to keep. sometimes I'd rather try than letting the Fish Store just kill them.

And yes I have had one, and also tons of Gorgonias people said not to bother with.

;)

nice, so you just keep making your lfs, buy more of them to kill.... :rolleyes:

okay I wont get a scallop. Thought Id ask. and my perc and ocell were my two first fish, and they were a match at the LFS till I brought them home, and the reason one died was stress. Sorry. That was my only mistake buy.

and I dont like tangs to be honest. to boring for me.

Tangs boring? Are you kidding? They are always on the move. Now clowns are boring.

The Tang I took care of at my old job was a little ##### and always hid in the center of the rock! So i just dont like tangs anymore lol.

The Tang I took care of at my old job was a little ##### and always hid in the center of the rock! So i just dont like tangs anymore lol.

What kind was it? I have 2 clowns, they are cool but just kinda hover around in the same spot.

Archived