inTank Media Baskets

I want a flame scallop

GIRLGONEAQUA

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
er1c_the_reefer

technically, its not electricity; it's bioluminescence. there's no many articles on them, but people have had luck keeping them up to a year or so given large amounts of regular feeding.

Can I get one I have a biocube14g , can anyone tell me a little background on them?

Does anyone else on here have one?

Against all odds...and she pulls it off....

Now there's a success story waiting to be written.

I remember when anything below 55g's was considered impossible for salt...

I've also had "EZ" corals that were a PIA.

Different tanks = different conditions = different methods = you get the idea

GGA ... your $$ / your tank...

Let the slamming begin.....

dont u already know..doesnt matter what you tell her, she'll get it anyways :)

This statement is literally not true. Everything I have I never bought because someone said dont. I wouldnt ask people if I can have one of anything if it ment I was going to do it anyways.

Given the chance I could keep it, I saw them at petco for 10$ a piece, and if they can keep it alive, im sure I could too. I just want a really small one and I feed plankton to my corals weekly...

Given the chance I could keep it, I saw them at petco for 10$ a piece, and if they can keep it alive, im sure I could too. I just want a really small one and I feed plankton to my corals weekly...

I know they are only filter feeders so phytoplankton. I'd say feed it more than weekly, just to be sure. Just spray some at it.

Hi!

<Hi there! Scott F. with you today>

Here is a picture of my flame scallop, 'Scooter'. Since purchasing him about four months. He has grown since then, he is about 3 inches from tentacle to tentacle and still has his flame color. He's found a place of refuge in my tank, even though no one bothers him (one small red clown, his refuge is on the other side of the tank, and one turbo snail, friend has the small crab now, about 30 pounds of live rock) I feed him DT's and Micro Vert every other day. He doesn't seem as bright as he was before. Not that big of a difference, but his tentacles are more orange than red now. He still opens up and acts the same. I do 30% water changes weekly on my tank (25gal) tests all come out great. Anything I can do?

<Well, these are among the most difficult animals that you can keep in aquaria. They require large quantities of very fine plankton, which are pretty difficult to come by in aquaria. In the long run, they are best avoided... In your case, it's good that you've been continuously feeding this animal while maintaining good water quality. You really cannot be sure that the animal will make it for the long run (like years, not months) yet, but keep doing what you're doing.>

Everything else is healthy and bright. Since purchasing him, I have talked to the LFS where I bought him from and expressed my concern for the Flame Scallops. They haven't sold them since.

<Glad to hear that!>

I thought that you would like this story, since you were the ones that educated me on this delicate species. This site is amazing, it really is a wonder for the public. Thanks!

Justine

<We're happy to be hear for you...Best of luck with this beautiful, but difficult animal. Regards, Scott F>

From wwm, apparently this guy has had one for four months and fed it every other day. Sounds like an unnecessary PITA, but whatever.

I had no idea this scallop was hard to keep. One of my clients bought one for his tank. I just found it in the tank one day when I went to clean the tank. It happen to me often. I don't really like this clam and never took care of it. It's just there, somewhere in the tank.

I don't want to say what others said about it is not right. We might have been lucky.

We have been keeping this clam for over 18 months now. The tank is a 150 gallon. I know the staff always overfeed the tank so it could be why it's doing so well. I don't do much for this tank since I am only there twice a month. The only maintenance is a 25% water change twice a month (sometime more because they overfeed) and the salt is the only additive we use.

I am now curious about it and might start reading a little to learn more.

im also sure petco changes their stock as soon as it dies..

go ahead and try..but i would say wait at least 6 more months and let your tank mature

I had one in a 6 gal nano for four or five months. The hardest part was to "encourage" it to stay where you want it. I think I ended up injuring it while trying to move him. I know now after learning more about them that it was too soon for me to have attempted to keep one. It was a beautiful creature to watch.

Keep learning and preparing for your flame scallop and I'm sure you'll do fine when you know you are ready.

:)

Petco doesn't even need to keep them alive. Most of their stock gets sold within a few days.

I had one in an old 55 galon tank a few years back.. They are hungry buggers, but very easy to keep. The only problem is they like to move around alot unless you were to glue them in place which would be sort of cruel. It is actually really cool watching them 'swim' around, but can get annoying and I could see them knocking over rockwork and dislodging frags and such in a nano tank..

Archived