Cultivated Reef

Chucktown 20H

divecj5

As promised earlier to those following my thread, PM me if you are interested in frags from my tank. I have a list of about 11 SPS that I can frag so I can send you the price list. I'll wait til this afternoon and then post up to the masses. The list includes -

• Tyree Bali Tri-Color
  • Green w/blue polyp Cap
  • Orange Cao
  • Green Acro Vermiculata
  • Setosa
  • ORA Cali Tort
  • ORA Pearlberry
  • Red Milli
  • Green Deepwater Acro
  • Blue Stag
  • Ponape Birdsnest

-Adam

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Time to see what i can buy :P

Beautiful tailspot btw and happy to hear you still got your finger....lucky it was only a few stitches!! Cant wait to see some more pics and FTS.

Take it easy with the hand!

Time to see what i can buy :P

Beautiful tailspot btw and happy to hear you still got your finger....lucky it was only a few stitches!! Cant wait to see some more pics and FTS.

Take it easy with the hand!

I just sent you a PM in response to your interest. Hopefully we can work something out ;)

Thanks for the compliments on the tank. Yeah, I'm glad the damage wasn't any more than it was with the finger. First time getting stitches but all in all it wasn't too bad. Getting the needle slide down about 1/4 the length of my finger was the fun part...gotta have the Lidocane though.

I was back to yardwork last night so all is well :rant:

No major news on the tank...just trying to sell these last couple of frags. Any other takers?

Going to be replacing my UVL 75/25 with a Fiji Purple and also replacing my year old ATI Blue Special. Should have the new bulbs tomorrow so pictures will commence then...today it's lights off on the reef. I thought I heard a little Luther Vandross when I walked by the tank late last night...guess the Blenny, Clowns, and Firefish were gettin' down :happydance:

I also ordered some clippers and bone cutters as fragging corals with tweezers or by bare hand probably isn't the best idea. I also picked up some MB7 that I'm going to give a whirl. Dave and others have been having some great experiences with it so I figured why not, it was only $7 for a bottle so if I don't notice any results, it wasn't too bad.

You will love the MB7. I've been doing a drop per 10 gallons to seed. Hell I even thought about just dosing MB7 with how nice the tank looks! I think you need to get a clam in there! ;)

I cant wait to see how you like the FIJI, I've heard mix things about it.

-Dave

You will love the MB7. I've been doing a drop per 10 gallons to seed. Hell I even thought about just dosing MB7 with how nice the tank looks! I think you need to get a clam in there! ;)

I cant wait to see how you like the FIJI, I've heard mix things about it.

-Dave

I'm still a little leery about starting to dose MB7 but I figure I might as well give it a shot. I'm going to dose as you suggested and see what it looks like. I'll give it a couple of weeks and then decide whether I will start with the vodka after that. We shall see :)

Yeah, I've heard mixed things as well with the Fiji. I would just go with 2 x ATI Blue Special (12K) and 3 ATI Blue + (18K) but I like a little something to bring out the purples and reds. We'll see what it looks like tomorrow afternoon.

You're right, I do need a clam...I have the perfect spot for it :D

The good thing about the bacteria is that you cant really overdose it so dont be afraid. I'm sure if you dumped the entire bottle in then yes, but nothing should go wrong. I just turn my vortech off for 15 mins then let it rip.

The good thing about the bacteria is that you cant really overdose it so dont be afraid. I'm sure if you dumped the entire bottle in then yes, but nothing should go wrong. I just turn my vortech off for 15 mins then let it rip.

Never heard of this MB7. After a quick google search, looks like people who use it dose vodka as well. Do they both go hand in hand? Where can I get some good info on it? Curious.

Never heard of this MB7. After a quick google search, looks like people who use it dose vodka as well. Do they both go hand in hand? Where can I get some good info on it? Curious.

Hey Randy. Dave may have some more direct links to info about the product, but here is a link to the .pdf from Brightwell that explains what it is - MB7

Long story short, it contains aerobic and anaerobic microbes that help to boost the bacteria and in turn consume Nitrate and Phosphate. The introduction of MB7 helps to seed the bacteria in your tank. Once these have grown to a higher proportion and they have started to exhaust the nutrients in the tank, you start to introduce a carbon source. Most popular is Vodka as a carbon source (ethanol) but others use sugar as well.

From Dave's and others experiences just using the MB7, they have seen increased water clarity, increased skimmer output, and better polyp extension due to the lower nutrients in the tank.

I'm going to give it a whirl over the next couple of weeks as this is the time you see the biggest differences. I'll make sure to document all changes. Going to start adding it once I get it in the mail today :)

As if we don't have enough to do, maintaining Calc, Alk & Mg! I'll be watching your before & after pics. If it works for you, I'm in the MB7 club.

As if we don't have enough to do, maintaining Calc, Alk & Mg! I'll be watching your before & after pics. If it works for you, I'm in the MB7 club.

I hear ya...starting to feel like a mad scientist :wizard:

I just switched out my bulbs and really really like the Fiji Purple bulb. Does a really nice job of pulling out some of the greens, reds, and purples without overdoing it like some actinic bulbs do. Who knows if it will have any effect on the coloration of the coral so we'll see how they do over the next couple of weeks.

Just added my first drop of MB7 in the tank 15 minutes ago....we'll see if I start noticing anything drastic over the next week.

I grabbed a bunch of new pictures so I'll post those up in the morning.

I'm working on some pictures now, so keep your eyes out for those.

For the geek in all of us, I have been keeping more of a close log of my tank after I started dosing the MB7. Right now, I'm adding 2 drops in the morning shortly after dosing my 2-part. Here is how I have been recording things -

Friday 7-24

I will try to score or add a value on what I can see - perhaps with 10 being best (or no trace), 1 being poor (or very negatively evident)

Surface film - 3

Biofilm (green) on glass - only scrape every 3-4 days - 5

Algae - 1 type, GHA patch (slow but noticeable growth - 4

LPS condition - N/A

SPS condition (color/feeding response etc) - 8

Coralline algae (color/covering) - 5

Invertebrate condition (mobility/activity/feeding etc) - 6

Cyanobacteria breakout - 10

Water (level of pristine'ness') - 6

Water colour (yellow for organics) - 10

Fish stock (color/response/feeding/stress) - 8

Skimmer activity (skimate production/color) - 5

Anomalies (i.e. lumps of brown snot, strange occurrences) - 10

Sunday 7-26

Surface film - 5

Biofilm (green) on glass - only scrape every 3-4 days - 5

Algae - 1 type, GHA patch (slow but noticeable growth - 4

LPS condition - N/A

SPS condition (color/feeding response etc) - 8

Coralline algae (color/covering) - 5

Invertebrate condition (mobility/activity/feeding etc) - 6

Cyanobacteria breakout - 10

Water (level of pristine'ness') - 6

Water colour (yellow for organics) - 10

Fish stock (color/response/feeding/stress) - 8

Skimmer activity (skimate production/color) - 5

Anomalies (i.e. lumps of brown snot, strange occurrences) - 10

Sorry for the boring post...just thought this style of recording tank conditions may be helpful to others. More eye candy shortly :)

I just switched out my bulbs and really really like the Fiji Purple bulb. Does a really nice job of pulling out some of the greens, reds, and purples without overdoing it like some actinic bulbs do. Who knows if it will have any effect on the coloration of the coral so we'll see how they do over the next couple of weeks.

See, see, SEE????

This is what I keep trying to tell people.

Glad you're happy with it. :)

See, see, SEE????

This is what I keep trying to tell people.

Glad you're happy with it. :)

Happy? I'm not just happy...I LOVE the look with the addition of the Fiji Purple bulb. The tank just overall has a better and more natural look to it. You'll see in the pictures in t-minus 15 minutes :)

Little pic update for the masses. And yes, honestly these colors are almost identical to what they look like in real life. I always find it hard to represent the green hues and highlights that some of the corals have in pictures.

ORA Tort - Can't wait for this to grow BIG

p498710004-3.jpg

Ponape Birdsnest - Check out the green "skin" coming in

p301895210-3.jpg

RPEs

p333153112-2.jpg

Tyree Bonsai - More Purple in real life. Grow baby Grow

p518677703-3.jpg

Bruddah's Superman

p332054438-3.jpg

Green Acro Vermiculata - Check out the polyp extension :o

p239281881-3.jpg

I hope I can put some growth sequence shots together over the next couple of days.

-Adam

Wow Adam - everything is looking GREAT! Your tank is growing out nicely - I need to come by and take a look-c...

No, I don't miss the hobby - yet. Too busy painting, visiting with family, yardwork, etc. It'll hit me when winter gets here and there's nothing to do outdoors.

It's kinda neat to know that my tank is gone yet the coral I had are still living and doing well in other tanks. I recognized several of pieces and the growth is incredible.

Take care and keep in touch!

VIVID COLORS. Great job, Adam. You know I was thinkin it'll be cool to have some of the same SPS pieces, of the exact lineage. If I can't color up the frags as nicely as these, well, then I know I've gotta be doin something different!

Wow Adam - everything is looking GREAT! Your tank is growing out nicely - I need to come by and take a look-c...

No, I don't miss the hobby - yet. Too busy painting, visiting with family, yardwork, etc. It'll hit me when winter gets here and there's nothing to do outdoors.

It's kinda neat to know that my tank is gone yet the coral I had are still living and doing well in other tanks. I recognized several of pieces and the growth is incredible.

Take care and keep in touch!

:happydance: Thanks for coming back to NR, momentarily at least, to see the tank. Thank you for the compliments. You are more than welcome to come by and take a look at the tank anytime that you are free. I'll e-mail you since I'm not sure when you will be on here again but we will work something out for sure.

I'm just happy that I've been able to give the corals (Milli, Superman, Green Acro, Red Planet, etc) the care that you gave them while they were in your tank.

VIVID COLORS. Great job, Adam. You know I was thinkin it'll be cool to have some of the same SPS pieces, of the exact lineage. If I can't color up the frags as nicely as these, well, then I know I've gotta be doin something different!

Thanks for the compliment Randy. I hope I'm not boring people as I feel like I'm taking pictures of the same thing over and over again. Every time I break out the camera, my wife says "you're taking pictures of the tank again??" :) I kindly reply...."Yes."

I really look forward to the upcoming trade August 10th. It will be nice to get some LPS in my tank and I'm really looking forward to seeing how the SPS are going to look in your tank Randy.

What are you getting from PurpleUp Adam?

Cant wait to see some other stuff in the tank. I am ordering a frag of Dendro from Cherry corals next week so I am really close to pretty much having all the corals I want in the tank.

Hope the MB7 is working out better and better for you. I think its the best 7$ I've spent in a while!

-Dave

What are you getting from PurpleUp Adam?

Cant wait to see some other stuff in the tank. I am ordering a frag of Dendro from Cherry corals next week so I am really close to pretty much having all the corals I want in the tank.

Hope the MB7 is working out better and better for you. I think its the best 7$ I've spent in a while!

-Dave

Getting a little this and a little of that from Randy...hammer/frogspawn, Idaho grape, ORA Joe the Coral, Pink Chalice, Pokerstar/Rainbow Monti and I might pick up a couple heads of Acans as well. I'm getting ready to frag the heck out of my green w/blue polyp monti and I sold the Red Milli and Blue Stag. This will allow me to remove two rocks on the right side of the tank so I will have room for the Frogspawn and it will also open up the tank a bit.

A lot of the pieces that I got from PodRod came from CherryCorals...although they are a little spendy, they have stellar corals and all of their stuff has direct lineage which is worth it in my opinion.

I agree, the MB7 is one of the cheapest and easiest things I've done to improve my tank. Add 2 drops in the morning and away she goes :)

You and I need to get a trade going over the next couple of months...I know your tank is begging for some ORA Tort :)

Yea they have some good specials here and there. If I can pull it off I may be able to get a RKL and the dendro next week.

I dont want to sound like a dick but I'm running out of room. I would love to pick up a few more but I dont want coral warfare going on. If you can hold out, whatever you would like I could frag in a few months for some super cheap prices. Or maybe drive up here in the fall and play some paintball and come by ;) Hopefully by then I will have some micro colonies :D

-Dave

You don't sound like a dick at all :) I completely understand what you mean about space as well. Luckily, I started off with only about 5 SPS frags (Slimer, ORA Tort, Green/Orange Cap, Poccilipora) and placed those high up and in the back of the rock to allow room for growth. As I've added more SPS, I've continued to keep things up high, keeping branching coral towards the rear of the tank. I still have plenty of room in the lower 2/3rd of my tank for LPS, etc.

The one thing that I do need to do is figure out how I can keep the Green Cap from further encrusting on the rock. It is starting to approach the base of the Pearlberry that has made a nice 3 inch base. I am thinking of fragging it down A LOT and then placing some epoxy in it's way so that it will have to grow up and plate out instead of encrusting the rock. We'll see what happens.

airman_verde04

holy moly Adam, everything is looking amazing!! I will make it my mission to see this tank when i get home since I missed out on the 29BC... I'm really excited about getting back, I'll be focusing on the tank/stand build first, If I do it right, this tank will be amazing. I'll looking to put High power LED lighting in this tank so I can support that cap waiting on me.. I'm selling my Nova extreme and my Koralina-nano just to pay for the lighting.. hehe.

Anyhoo, I really like all the different elements your testing now, It really shows how in depth your taking the hobbie, your almost a pro! I think you should open up a store.. hehe.. just kidding... anyhoo, I'm very impressed! well, back to work, only about 5 more weeks to go!

Thanks for cruising by the thread David. Glad to hear that you are going to be back here Stateside in a little over a month. Both you and Karen need to swing over sometime and take a look at the tank.

I would love to open up a store....would be pretty easy to out compete the LFS around here. What I would rather do would be to start up a local club that is actually active. Seems like the whole SPS hasn't really taken off around here so we are just stuck with bland coral and inverts for sale. Then again, if we had clubs like they do in big cities and on the West Coast, I would more than likely be broke and divorced ;)

Tank continues to love the MB7....it will be 1 week tomorrow.

Only other news is that I may be getting a frag of something cold and hot....something I've been trying to find a piece of for a while now :)

airman_verde04
I would love to open up a store....would be pretty easy to out compete the LFS around here. What I would rather do would be to start up a local club that is actually active. Seems like the whole SPS hasn't really taken off around here so we are just stuck with bland coral and inverts for sale. Then again, if we had clubs like they do in big cities and on the West Coast, I would more than likely be broke and divorced ;)

Only other news is that I may be getting a frag of something cold and hot....something I've been trying to find a piece of for a while now :)

yeah, I do love how close TL is to the house, but when I visit the local forums, Its like looking at skin toned colored looking blob like corals in everyones tank, I just feel everyone around Charleston are slopy tank owners, just shoving crap in there tank, I think I almost got into that, but I caught myself before It got out of control... I guess thats the perks of starting new tanks, and looking up the "right" kinds of tanks online..

anyhoo, I would be more than willing to join up for some club action, I dont have much to offer, but we could try holding another frag swap? like in the fall or winter? I would even set up with my PA, it would be a great way to promote my DJ biz to make a little extra money before I relocate. (free of course ).

but I hear ya on the devorce thing, HAHA.. Mely I think wishes I did not start a new tank.. hehe.. but I must!!

anyhoo, I'm looking forward to your new G-14 classified frag find..

so speaking of frags, I'm looking to build a high-watt LED lighting for the new tank for that monti-cap.. WOOT WOOT!!

Archived