Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Atomics 90g Mixed Reef

Atomic081

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had updated this just over a month ago but i guess it got wiped somehow. Anyway here is a recap of what has happened.

I had been having trouble with Rapid tissue necrosis. From what I have read, there is really no exact cause, it could be anything. This is just how some SPS coral tend to die. Over a period of 24 hours a frag would start to have a small spot starting. I would come home from work and the frag would be half gone and by evening it was completely dead. I think my Issue was bad water but everything tested fine. I have a RODI system but had not kept up on replacing the filters. It had been a little over a year and I go through a TON of water.

So before leaving for a long 4th of July weekend, I decided to rearrange some LR and do 3 major 20 gal water changes. I figure It would help give the tank a nice kick in the butt toward getting things back to where they needed to be. I took out some LR and put it in my sump, stupidly I put one piece on top of my heaters. Well after a great weekend with friends, I come home to a 1/2 crashed tank. The Temp was at 86 deg and it was 6 in the evening. My MH lights had already been off. So I figure it might have gotten up around 90 in the heat of the day. Devastated, I started to take inventory of what I had lost. All of my SPS and my euphillia's were gone but most of my other LPS and Zoos made it through fine. I also lost my Blue spotted Jaw fish, my flame angelfish, my cleaner shrimp, and my Starfish. These were my 2 favorite fish. I think the water changes might have stressed the tank and the high temps might have done the rest of them in.

Since then I have gotten new filters for my RODI, I now know that I need to change these ever 6 months. I have done a 15 gal water change every week for the past 3 weeks and the tank looks great. Its a little bare, but everything left is thriving.

Im going to head in a different direction with my tank. More towards a full mixed reef, and less towards SPS. I still do want to keep some Monti cap, Encusting Montis, Monti Digi and a few birds nests but generally I am gonna move away from it. Im gonna start a Ric garden and get a few Zoos from locals. Then im going add a clam, some acans, and see where it goes from there.

Im also going try more fish and less coral. My skimmer is big enough for 5-6 more fish so im going to take advantage of it. Right now my fish list consists of:

Yellow Tang

Hippo Tang

Blackcap Basslet

Lyretail Blue Eye Anthias

Sixline Wrasse

Orange Clownfish

Black Clownfish

Im going to put a Flame angel back and I might and try to buy a yellow headed Jawfish. The Bluespot are just too expensive for me and I usually only get to see the yellow head. After that Im thinking of adding a flame hawkfish and maybe another goby or a pair of firefish. Im gonna keep looking on the divers den and see if anything interesting pops up.

So today I when to Premium Aquatics to spice up my CUC. Its been almost a year and a half since I got my tank and its gone through 2 moves. Since then I have not bought any new crabs or snails so i thought its about time. While I was there I saw they had Manderine gobys for 15 dollars and I couldnt pass it up. I also walked away with 2 pepermint shrimp and a new cleaner shrimp. Im thinking about getting a new starfish also. any sugestions on what kind? I know they dont live long but my last one i know lived 3 years in my tank.

Man that sucks that your tank crashed, it's been awhile since I took a peek a your thread and man was the tank looking good. Hopefully it will look just as good soon. If you didn't know I started a new tank, a 40brd and tore down the ap24. The 40 has been through a lot, cyano, rtn, had a foam wall and took it out thinking it was causing the problems and so far I was right. Then my heater broke and the tank got to 90 but I only lost a millie and toadstool. Just click the link in my sig and take a look.

Man that sucks that your tank crashed, it's been awhile since I took a peek a your thread and man was the tank looking good. Hopefully it will look just as good soon. If you didn't know I started a new tank, a 40brd and tore down the ap24. The 40 has been through a lot, cyano, rtn, had a foam wall and took it out thinking it was causing the problems and so far I was right. Then my heater broke and the tank got to 90 but I only lost a millie and toadstool. Just click the link in my sig and take a look.

Thanks Nick. The crash has taught me a lot and in the end ill have a better tank because of it.

These are bad pictures, but here is the tank after the crash.

IMG_0212.jpg

IMG_0214.jpg

IMG_0217.jpg

IMG_0220.jpg

On another note, my manderine goby is doing great. This is my 3rd try. The others were dead within 3 days. Mostly to shipping and harassment from other fish.

My tank has been doing great for about a month now, so I thought it was time to give it a little makeover.

Here are the new frags I got from a local Reefer. They look great so far!!!!

IMG_0227.jpg

IMG_0230.jpg

IMG_0233.jpg

IMG_0236.jpg

IMG_0238.jpg

IMG_0239.jpg

Here are the newest frags. Ive got them low in the tank now and will be placing them on the Liverock in a week or two.

Monti Digita

IMG_0245.jpg

IMG_0246.jpg

Zoo Frag

IMG_0249.jpg

Superman Monti

IMG_0252.jpg

Neon green Monti

IMG_0253.jpg

Tricolor Birdsnest

IMG_0254.jpg

Tableing Accro

IMG_0256.jpg

I need to clean some glass

IMG_0258.jpg

IMG_0259.jpg

akabryanhall

Sorry about your RTNing corals, but things seem to be rebounding nicely!! Can't wait to see everything in a month or two.

Well its about that time of year again. Time to buy new bulbs. This year instead of buying new bulbs, I think im going to upgrade my whole lighting system. Ive been wanting to change to T5s for a long time but have not had a good reason until now. I already have a Icecap 660 ballast for my VHO lights and im buying a 2 bulb T5 retro kit for 60 bucks from a friend. So all I need now is 2-4 more retro kits minus the ballast and then some bulbs. Its gonna cost me around 250 total, but ill be able to sell my Current setup and I needed to spend 150 on bulbs anyway.

Thanks for the Comments Rocket and Akabryanhall!! Both of your tanks are awesome!!!

Ross, How are the coral doing? It looks like you made the stop to Ian's. Did he hook it up. I am about to move, I have some nuc greens and tubs for you, for giving me the 20l.

Great, thanks Brandon. Ill stop by sometime and see the new setup. When are you moving. Would you rather me wait til after or try to stop by sometime before you move? Ian hooked me up big time. I really like the stuff he has.

• 2 weeks later...

I did my monthly water change today and mounted all my frags to the LR. Aquamend is some great stuff!!! I had never used it before but I think I will use it every time i mount my frags. My camera is at my GFs place so ill post pictures later next week.

• 2 weeks later...

Everything is going great with my tank. No losses in the past few months. The fish are all doing great, including my fat little manderine goby. My RBTA and GBTA are making a comeback. I dont think i fed it enough so now ive got them both on 1/2 a silverside minow ever other day. I still have not setup my Ca reactor because I cant find anyone close to fill up my CO2 tank. Im going to try to get another power head cause I think my tank might be on the low side when it comes to flow. Maybe upgrade to a bigger size than I have now.

Picture update!!!!!

My good camera is at my Fiance's so I had to use my 10 year old POS.

FTS

024.jpg

Duncans

026.jpg

Birdsnest and Superman Monti

027.jpg

Monti cap collection

029.jpg

Cup Coral, Trumpet Coral and a unknown SPS that hasnt started branching yet

030.jpg

Unknown coral but i really like it!!!! sorry for the bad pic

031.jpg

Today was a big day for my fish tank. It was my 2 year birthday of my old aquapod so I thought I would buy some new things for my 90g.

Lighting

I have decided not to upgrade to the T5s. It was too much money and alot of work. So I upgraded my bulbs instead to 14k Phoenix bulbs. I saw them a Premium Aquatics and they look GREAT!!!! So much better than my Hamilton's. The blues pop like a 20k but they corals extend like a 10k!!!

Corals

I got 3 Ricordias to Finish my Ric Garden. I got 1 blue, one orange and one pink to go along with the green ones I already have.

I also got a NICE yelllow sun coral. Ive always wanted one of these and it was only 35 bucks. It has to have alteast 50 heads and is the size of your fist. Im going to try and place it in a cave but I have heard that they have trouble if they get sediment on them. If I it doing bad then Ive been told to put it on a mag plug and stick them underneath my powerheads. Then all the nutrient rich water and all the food will keep them open all day long.

Fish

Well here is my list of new Fish

Bluespot Jawfish!!!!! they were on sale so i couldnt pass it up.

Flame angel

Flame Hawkfish

Royal Dottyback

Tailspot Blenny

Ill take pictures tonight with my crappy camera. Ill borrow my sisters good camera this week and post a TON of good picture of all the new stuff

All the Fish are doing great. I was a little worried about my Sixline and my Blackcap Basslet picking on some of the new fish. So far so good.

The new bulbs are GREAT!!!! Good enough that I dont want any other supplemental lighting.

Im looking into getting a nice Camera to take picture of my tank with. Any recomendations?

I'm starting to get the fever for a bigger tank! Everything looks great!

Let me know if you ever decide to go bigger, I have a bunch of stuff I could send your way.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived