Top Shelf Aquatics

Atomics 90g Mixed Reef

Atomic081

Your tank is very inspiring...I'm also thanking about upgrading from to a 90 gallon. I currently have a 28g nano and 55 gallon set up and it just seems to be getting bigger. Approximately how much and when do you do water changes and how much do you think the electricity cost is to run your tank. thanks!

Thanks KoolSalt,

I only do water changes when i feel they are needed. It seems like its about once a month but sometimes every 6 weeks. Im considering going to changing out 5 gal a week and see if i notice any change. The tank is a 90g but i have a 30gal sump, Cal reactor and the protein skimmer, so i figure im close to 125 gal of water in the whole system. I would recommend a auto top off to anyone starting off. I adding over a gallon a day of fresh water to the tank due to evaporation.

As for Electricity, im think im running around 25 bucks a month . It could be more, it could be less. I just accept it and try to forget about it. I think i have old ballasts and i could save some money in electric costs if i upgraded, but it would take years to recoup the costs of new ballasts.

Overall it seems like the bigger tanks have less daily maintenance. I clean the glass every day, feed every 3 days, and once a month i do a water change and take a razor blade to the glass .

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask anymore questions.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went too Premium Aquatics with a friend yesterday with the intentions of NOT buying anything. We all know how easy that is.......So i walked out with a nice $15 SPS frag that i think looks like the ORA red planet with a hint of blue tips and a $19 Lyretail Blue Eye Anthias Female. Ill post pictures later today

I went too Premium Aquatics with a friend yesterday with the intentions of NOT buying anything. We all know how easy that is.......So i walked out with a nice $15 SPS frag that i think looks like the ORA red planet with a hint of blue tips and a $19 Lyretail Blue Eye Anthias Female. Ill post pictures later today

Nice Score on the Corals and the Fish!!! :D Let's see some pics!! :D LOL ... I picked up a red headed jawfish, you can see him in my tank thread.

-David

New SPS frag

Funny Story, at Premium Aquatics you sign a list as you walk in to be helped. I wasnt planning on getting anything so i didnt sign my name. About a hour after looking around and talking to some friends i decided to get on the list and get a frag and my fish. My luck has it, they guy on the list before me took the frag I really wanted. So I ended up getting the next best frag from the same mother colony. The only problem was this frag had a little more blue and yellow than the green and red. I still like it and im sure it will color up like the mother colony that i got it from.

1-17-09002.jpg

Lyretail Blue Eye Anthias Female

So far I really like this fish. She Is always out and so far has nibbled on some Rods Food. I also found out that my Flame Angel rules my tank. I figured the Yellow Tang would harass The Anthias, but to my surprise the only fish that bothered her was my Flame Angel. After a few laps around the tank they settled down and everyone is getting along nice.

1-17-09008.jpg

I was cleaning out my computer and found a few old pics of my tank when i first set it up. Since then I have moved to a new house so the aquascape is totally different.

Erin008.jpg

Snow day today!!!! Im going a water change and im giving the tank a good clean. Then im going to take pictures tonight with my sisters new camera!!!!! pictures in about 8 hours!!!

Ok i lied. I was not able to post the pictures, but i did take them. Im just now uploading them to photobucket and i hope to have them up shortly.

Nice looking tank. I like the Anthias and the BlackCap Basslet. Have you found any aggression with the Basslet? I have thought in the past about getting one of those. Also, how well behaved has your Flame Angel been? Does he nip at coral? I had a short-lived experiment awhile back with a Bi-Color Angel, but when I saw him nipping as my SPS, I took him out.

Nice looking tank. I like the Anthias and the BlackCap Basslet. Have you found any aggression with the Basslet? I have thought in the past about getting one of those. Also, how well behaved has your Flame Angel been? Does he nip at coral? I had a short-lived experiment awhile back with a Bi-Color Angel, but when I saw him nipping as my SPS, I took him out.

Thanks H20

The Basslet has been a great fish. The only downside with it has been that it is always hiding in a cave. Its still visible but only comes out into open water to eat. I have had no aggression issues with the Basslet either. I thought i might when i added the Anthias, but to my surprise they stay at opposite sides of the tank and dont bother each other. Even while feeding they seem to get along

The Flame angel is kinda hit and miss. One day i think i saw it nipping at some corals just ever so slightly. Not really at the SPS but at the liverock around it. So i have been keeping a close eye out. Its my favorite fish and i would hate to have to get rid of him. My blue tort has a few dead spots on it but i have never seen the flame angel around the Tort. So i cant blame him until i catch him red handed. I really dont think its the flame angel doing any damage. For now im going to keep him but keep an eye out.

Sweet tank the black cap is so nice Im jealous lol

Thanks Gerber77, I would recommend the Blackcap to anyone. Its a great fish.

On another note:

My calcium reactor has never worked properly. The solenoid was broken so i had just set it to drip once every 3 seconds. About 2 weeks ago i bought a new solenoid and started to fix it. Well one thing led to another and my tank set about 2 weeks without the reactor going and it seemed to flourish. Maybe it was just the water change i had done that day, but my zoanthids and SPS never looked better. Today I set up my reactor again and after about 2 hours i see no change. Im going to see how things go in the next few weeks. I cant see the reactor hurting the tank. Maybe i was overloading the system and now the PH monitor will let things become more stable and let them flourish.

I have had some losses with my SPS in the past few weeks. My pearlberry never took off after being shipped to me and it died around the middle of December. My ORA blue tort all of the sudden one day started to recede and within 4 hours went from blue to pale white. Lastly I had a tricolor SPS that was knocked off my liverock into my torch coral (I HATE MY TORCH!!!!). Its just getting way too big and i need to get rid of it. Im trying to trade it locally.

Later this week im heading to do some trading with some local reefers. Im plan on picking up 3 monti caps Green w/ purple rim, yellow w/ blue polyps, and purple. I also am going to see another friends and get another frag of ORA pearlberry, a superman monti, and a sunset or mystic look-a-like. I might head up and see some other local reefers and pick up a few other things. Who knows. Im looking for a frag of Red Planet, a yellow Sun coral, a RBTA, a clam, and a nice yellow Figi leather. So if i see any of those i might pick one up.

Sorry to hear about some of your SPS. Some of them are just tough to keep. For me, the ORA Oregon Blue tort was hard. It was hard to keep its total blue color. Mine wanted to turn brownish around the body, and just leave the blue on the tips. It was the slowest growing coral I have ever owned. On the other hand, I have had good success with the California Blue Tort. It grows much faster, and seems to retain its color better for me.

Thats good to know H2O. I dont think that im doing anything wrong, but i know that things happen. Not every coral will flourish in every tank. I might give the Cali blue tort a try.

Hope those new frags do well. Can't wait to see growth shots, Im goin to start a 14 biocube thread when i get it up and running

Hope those new frags do well. Can't wait to see growth shots, Im goin to start a 14 biocube thread when i get it up and running

Thanks again southstar066, the frags are doing great!!!

Well i spent all evening running around the south side of Indianapolis going to every fish store and local frag seller. I ended up with some REALLY nice stuff. Pics will come tomorrow after everything opens up

First i got the Yellow w/ blue polyp, green with deep purple rim, and purple w/ a dark polyp (cant tell if its blue or purple yet)Monti caps. Then I headed to Southstar066's and wow does he have a nice tank. It really inspired my buddy who just bought a 29g system. From Southstar i got a great looking frag of ORA pearlberry, a AWESOME superman monti frag, and a great small sunset monti frag. From his place i headed to another locals place and picked up some Sweet frags. I got a great blue milli, 2 blue acros, a pink birdsnest and a yellow figi leather.

Ill post pics of everything tomorrow.

Im kinda in a rush but here are the pictures. Not my best group of pictures but ohh well. One of the Acros died overnight. I have no clue what happened but ill get another one.

Monti Caps: I just turned my lights on so you cant see the blue polyps on the yellow one

2-7-09001.jpg

Blue Monti Digita

2-7-09007.jpg

Sunset Monti

2-7-09003.jpg

Superman Monti

2-7-09006.jpg

Pearlberry

2-7-09004.jpg

Blue tort

2-7-09005.jpg

Pink Birdsnest

2-7-09008.jpg

tank looks great. man i miss my tank. took it down cause it was to much work while in school and it took a turn for the worst. brought all my coral to the LFS, man that was a sad day. maybe in a couple years i will try again but with a bigger tank.

nice job

adam

Archived