SaltCritters.com

Atomics 90g Mixed Reef

Atomic081

Here are the new pics of the stand and canopy. Im really happy with how it has turned out. My old canopy had a open back so it did not reflect light very well. The new one really lets the colors pop and the 3 new super actinic bulbs and 2 new 14k Hamilton MHs are great also!!. Here are the pics

Makeover

Fish11-26010.jpg

FTS

Fish11-26015.jpg

Left side view

Fish11-26046.jpg

Right side view

Fish11-26047.jpg

Top left

Fish11-26040.jpg

Top center

Fish11-26041.jpg

Top right

Fish11-26042.jpg

Frag rack

Fish11-26043.jpg

New Buddies

Fish11-26037.jpg

Peak a boo

Fish11-26039.jpg

Who you calling a hippo??

Fish11-26024.jpg

My favorite SPS

Fish11-26044.jpg

Fish11-26048.jpg

Fish11-26050.jpg

Fish11-26055.jpg

Fish11-26056.jpg

Fish11-26062.jpg

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking great!!!!!!!!!!!! How do you like the ASM G-3? I thought about getting one for my tank, but I love the AquaC EV 240...it sucks all the cr@p out of my tank.

-David

Looking great!!!!!!!!!!!! How do you like the ASM G-3? I thought about getting one for my tank, but I love the AquaC EV 240...it sucks all the cr@p out of my tank.

-David

It seems to get the job done. I only have to empty it once every 2 weeks. It pulls a really liquidy skim out though. at the bottom is always sludge but still a lot of liquid.

Gorgeous canopy! Nice work. One question: Your flame angel. Reef safe?

--bubbles

He has been a complete "angel" so far and has not picked on any corals. He is very interested every time a new coral is put in the tank. When i introduced the frag pack last week he was really interested in the pieces of live rock the coral was mounted too and not so much the coral. Although i think i saw him nip at the base of a frag once so i still keep a close eye on him. I know that they can really do some damage on a tank. He has NEVER picked on anything soft and ive heard that they will pick on those first before any stony coral.

My next project will be adding a black background. I hope it will help the colors pop. Im not sure what way i will go. I like the idea of getting a piece of acrylic and painting one side blue and one side black. Then i can switch it when i get bored. Ill post pictures and let everyone see what looks best this week.

I have been very happy with my tank in the past few weeks. Almost all the SPS from the frag pack are starting to regain there color. I also have decided to use the overflow on the tank to host my Monti Caps. I cant really use it for much so i thought it would look cool to have 4-5 different monti cap climbing up the side. They might be competing for light because they will all be right above each other but i know they are the least lighting intensive of all SPS. Ive only got 3 frags of Red/Orange right now. Im looking to trade for locally for Green, Purple, and any other colors i can find. Ill post pictures when i get a few of them mounted.

Recently I have had trouble having small fish in my tank. I have lost a Watchman goby, engineer goby, 2 blue Manderine goby's (both within a week and a half of purchasing.) and I have seen a few nics on some of my fish lately. I know that i have a big crab in my tank that i have not been able to get out. Im not sure what kind it is but i think it is a gorilla crab.

I have declared WAR on this crab. I think he has killed all the small fish i put in the tank. Right now i have a Tupperware container in the tank with some rods food in it. It went straight for the container and started digging inside the hole. It then picked up the container and made it float to the top GRRRRRR. Now i have some rubble in the bottom and im waiting. Ill post pics when i catch this little guy. and i will catch him. Who want crab legs tonight??

Im still trying to get the devil crab. He always takes a look inside the hole and will pick at things but ive not seen him go inside the trap. Ill keep trying.

Thanks for all the compliments!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I SLAYED THE BEAST!!!!

well not really. I did catch the crab. After a week of trying to trap the little bugga with no luck i gave up. Then today it was out on a rock in clear view and i was able to pin it against a rock with my finger and after a few painful pinches, i was able to get it out. Now i can start stocking my tank with small fish!!!!!. I dont know what im gonna do with the little guy. My sump is separated into 3 sections of about 10 gal each and ive got one section with only the return pump and 2 heaters. Im thinking about moving a small piece of live rock into it and putting my lobster and the crab into it. Any other ideas of what to do with this devil crab??

I also got a new charger for my camera so trying to take pictures tonight of the tank that will actually look good.

Here are a few pics of the crab

Fish12-16053.jpg

Fish12-16050.jpg

Fish12-16053-1.jpg

I SLAYED THE BEAST!!!!

well not really. I did catch the crab. After a week of trying to trap the little bugga with no luck i gave up. Then today it was out on a rock in clear view and i was able to pin it against a rock with my finger and after a few painful pinches, i was able to get it out. Now i can start stocking my tank with small fish!!!!!. I dont know what im gonna do with the little guy. My sump is separated into 3 sections of about 10 gal each and ive got one section with only the return pump and 2 heaters. Im thinking about moving a small piece of live rock into it and putting my lobster and the crab into it. Any other ideas of what to do with this devil crab??

I also got a new charger for my camera so trying to take pictures tonight of the tank that will actually look good.

Here are a few pics of the crab

Fish12-16053.jpg

Fish12-16050.jpg

Fish12-16053-1.jpg

Looks like somebody is eatin crablegs for dinner tonight! MMMMM! Haha lol. J/K. Your tank is awesome. 90 gallon reefs are georgeous! Great frag pack too!

LOBSTER!!!!!

It has been in my sump for about 3 months. He has been hiding back behind the rock and I have not been able to enjoy this wonderful colorful creature. So i dug around in the sump for about 30 min and finally got him into my return section of the sump. I also gave him a few small pieces of liverock to create a home in.

here are the pics of him.

IM GONNA EAT YOU!!!!

Fish12-16090.jpg

Fish12-16091.jpg

Fish12-16094.jpg

Now that i have gotten rid of the devil crab. I am starting to ponder the idea of a few new fish/inverts and i want everyone's opinion. I am up for any and all suggestions.

Here is my current stocking list:

Yellow Tang

Hippo Tang

Flame Angel

Blackcap Basslet

Sixline Wrasse

False Perc Clownfish (orange)

False Perc Clownfish (black)

Cleaner Shrimp

GBTA

Im really interested in getting new fish that will be out all the time. All of the fish i have currently are ALWAYS out. I love them all so much!!!!. I wouldnt mind having 1 or 2 cave dwelling fish, but i want the majority of my fish to be seen. I have given up on ever getting a Mandarine Goby because of this reason. The 2 that i had before never would be out. They would always be hiding and I dont think I have a good enough pod population at this time and what little pods i do have are probibly eaten by my sixline.

I would really like my other fish to be bright!!! I dont really want any dull colored fish.

Here are a few possibility's I have come up with so far but i would like a few more!!!!

Bluespot Jawfish - This is a must for my tank. My old one took a carpet ride and they are soo cool.

Blue Reef Cromis - Im thinking of getting a school of Cromis, maybe 4-5 of them

Regal Angelfish - I love these but they are so hard to keep. Its far fetched but its an idea.

Wrasse - Im thinking of a Flasher or Fairy Wrasse. I just hope 2 Wrasse's in a 90 is ok?

Midas Blenny - Ive heard a ton of good things about these

Anthias - I know they need a lot of room but i have a lot of caves for these to swim.

I also want to get a Clam and maybe a RBTA but those could be later on and might depend on what my fish bioload could be when i get done

lets see those suggestions!!!!!!

i like what youve done with the place! for the wrasse i would suggest mckoskers! theyre just so pretty. u may be ok with all the room in the tank for two wrasses. and for the anthias...sunburst are the shizzle!!! imo they are the most striking of the anthias group! good luck!!!

i like what youve done with the place! for the wrasse i would suggest mckoskers! theyre just so pretty. u may be ok with all the room in the tank for two wrasses. and for the anthias...sunburst are the shizzle!!! imo they are the most striking of the anthias group! good luck!!!

I do love the mckoskers and there are so many Anthias that i dont know what ones will be at my LFS. Im thinking about doing one of the 2 (Wrasse or Anthias), 3-4 Cromis, bluespot jawfish and maybe a midas blenny.

i still want suggestions!!!

My sister just got a new professional camera for Christmas so I am gonna borrow it to get some awesome pictures. Ill try and post them in the next few days.

I still want any suggestions on a few new fish!!!!! What would you add if this was your tank?

• 3 weeks later...

Ive not updated for almost a month so i thought it was time. Ive not done a lot to the tank but my plans are to do some major trading with some locals in the near future.

I got back yesterday from Playa Del Carmen Mexico after 11 days of fun in the sun. I had a coworker feed my tank and keep my ATO bin full while i was gone. Nothing major went wrong while i was gone. My torch coral must have hit a growth spurt and killed the top 1/2" of my tricolor and a few other corals had hit the sand and might have a little damage. I was really worried that something major might happen but for the most part everything went smooth.

I was disappointed that i didnt get to do any diving in Cozumel while i was in Mexico. We had a group of 8 people and one person was sick almost every day. Luckly i never caught "Montezuma's revenge". I did get to do some nice snorkeling and saw some really nice monti digita (orange, green and yellow), some nice orange monti caps, and a few really nice BTA's and long tentacled anemones. I also saw the usual sea fan's, gorgonia, brain corals and other non colorful things. Overall a great trip, but im glad to be home.

Im going to do a small waterchange today and give the tank a good cleaning. I might take a few pictures if i get bored. Ill post them today if i get the time.

My sister just got a new professional camera for Christmas so I am gonna borrow it to get some awesome pictures. Ill try and post them in the next few days.

I still want any suggestions on a few new fish!!!!! What would you add if this was your tank?

I love Bangaii Cardinals ... or the Longspine ... Fairy Wrasses of all types ... Lyretail Anthias Trio? :D

Red Headed Jawfish? Rare ... I saw one the other day ... I am actually loving it more then the Blue Spot ... :D LOL!

That's what I would put.

Your tank is very inspiring...I'm also thanking about upgrading from to a 90 gallon. I currently have a 28g nano and 55 gallon set up and it just seems to be getting bigger. Approximately how much and when do you do water changes and how much do you think the electricity cost is to run your tank. thanks!

Archived