Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Atomics 90g Mixed Reef

Atomic081

tank looks great. man i miss my tank. took it down cause it was to much work while in school and it took a turn for the worst. brought all my coral to the LFS, man that was a sad day. maybe in a couple years i will try again but with a bigger tank.

nice job

adam

Ross

the corals are looking great!

Thanks guys!!!

I went to the Newport Aquarium in Cincinnati today. It was a Christmas present from my fiance. Although i saw some very cool fish and mammals, I was very disappointed in the amount of coral that they had. All they really had was a 40ish foot tank with a bunch of softies and some tangs in it. Ive seen better tanks on this site that had more color and flare. They had a great shark tank and overall it was a fun trip and i would recommend it to anyone in the area.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sounds like a good time. i hear ya though on the reef tanks, the aquarium near me i think only has one nice tank. actually to tell ya the truth the boston aquarium sucks in general.

cant wait to see this thing in a ocuple months

adam

Today was a bad day for my tank. I had known that my blue acro colony was receding but i had not done anything about it until now. Also the pearlberry frag i got was also starting to recede. So i did some emergency surgery and i think i have saved both of them for now. I tested all my water and everything was fine. I dont know what the problem could be but Im mixing about 40 gal of water and im going to do a water change tomorrow and maybe later this week to clear things up.

I went to the Newport Aquarium in Cincinnati today. It was a Christmas present from my fiance. Although i saw some very cool fish and mammals, I was very disappointed in the amount of coral that they had. All they really had was a 40ish foot tank with a bunch of softies and some tangs in it. Ive seen better tanks on this site that had more color and flare. They had a great shark tank and overall it was a fun trip and i would recommend it to anyone in the area.

Yea newport is cool, just no good reef tanks. N-R has way better tanks

Both the pearlberry and the blue acro died last nite. I have no clue what happen. Im doing some water changes right now and hopefully its just a fluke. Ive done some research on AEFW and that could be it but i hope not. I dont see any of the redbugs.

Anyone else have this problem? I keep having the opinion that the High priced named corals are no better than the no name ones i can get for half the price locally. Then i get online and see all the nice ORA, Bali etc corals and i think that im going to get a nice new big frag pack with the high priced corals. I go back and forth every few days.

I'm with you on that one. I'm just going to list all my zoanthids by color like blue zoas and green zoas and red and so on. THen when I have a few nice looking ones i'm going to call them nuclear blue, nuclear green, nuclear red. They should sell for much higher then.

Hell I'm going to name my frogspawn: bi-supercooled multiheaded monster long tentacle frogpawns.

My point is I hate common names for these things. So much variety its impossible to keep track. I'll take either a description or the scientific name. The rest is bull...

I half agree Rocket. Named zoanthids are getting way out of hand. I have a buddy who sells the purple hornets on ebay for like 100 a polyp. They are not any hardier or colorful than some of the zoanthids i can buy at the LFS, but because they have the name they are pricy. On the other hand ORA corals are aquacultured for a long period of time before they ever are sold. Thus they have a better track record in a aquarium than some of the newly harvested coral from the ocean. So if you lose one out of 4 sps corals due to being out of there natural environment and you will only lose 1 out of 20 ORA. It might be worth it to some people. I still dont completely agree with it, but i can see someones reasoning.

On another note, dont you hate it when you break a SPS coral while cleaning your tank? GRRR i was soo mad last nite. I broke my green monti digita in half. Ohh well now I have 2 i guess.

Beautiful tank! I am setting up a 90 gallon and was really wanting to duplicate your scape. HA!!! That was a joke. But it looks like you have some flat pieces that create your caves. I didn't have anything like that. Of course I'm still cycling so I guess I can go find some....

Anyway, I'm hanging around the Large Reef section a lot more now and getting ideas. Love your tank! (and many others too :) )

I'm with you on that one. I'm just going to list all my zoanthids by color like blue zoas and green zoas and red and so on. THen when I have a few nice looking ones i'm going to call them nuclear blue, nuclear green, nuclear red. They should sell for much higher then.

Hell I'm going to name my frogspawn: bi-supercooled multiheaded monster long tentacle frogpawns.

My point is I hate common names for these things. So much variety its impossible to keep track. I'll take either a description or the scientific name. The rest is bull...

i think the naming thing is good to an extent. like if someone is selling a Pearlberry for instance I know excatly what im getting. I know some pieces are hard to photograph like the PB and are hard to describe. i guess i like them so i know what it looks like, and most of the time the named stuff is the more beautiful stuff. but sometimes its just to jack up the price like with purple hornets and some of the chalices.

• 1 month later...

Update:

Not too much has been going on lately. I have been fragging some monti caps and a few of my acros so that i can take them to the INDMAS frag swap on April 18th. I did add a new Bluespot Jawfish last week. Ill take a few pictures of him when he finally settles in and finds a permanent home. It keeps digging holes in the corner of the tank so im trying to get him settled in before his picture debut.

Edit: Ohh yea, My sixline is in the overflow AGAIN. I guess when i do a water change next week ill drain the overflow and try to get him out.

• 1 month later...

Today was the Indmas frag swap. It was my first frag swap and i was a bit surprised about how big it was. I figure around 200 people showed up and the place was PACKED. I brought a few frags of my own to sell but was unable to get a table so i had to try and bargain with the other vendors and try to trade my way into a few frags. I ended up getting 3 new types of Monti digita. They seem to do well in my tank so ill stick with what works. I now have purple, blue, green, red, orange, and yellow digita and someday i hope to offer frag packs with all 6 combined. I also picked up a green slimer and a rose bubble tip anemone

On my way home i wanted to stop and get a few peppermint shrimp to help control aptastia. I wanted to get atleast 2 of these and at around 15 bucks each I decided that a Copper Banded Butterfly might be a better option and for just 5 bucks more it made my Fiance very happy. So far the CBB is eating and has gotten along fine with the yellow tang, hippo tang and the flame angel. It will definitely be my last big fish.

I also keep having problems with my bluespot jawfish jumping into the overflow. Last week he was no where to be seen and i kept checking the overflow every few days to see if he might show up. With no luck i gave up my search this morning and figured him to be dead. Well to my suprise he was swimming around in my sump this evening. I dont know how in the world it made its way into the overflow, up the piping, through the refugium, around all the pumps for my cal reactor and protein skimmer, and into the return pump area. I feel like i have a bluespot that should be on one of the homeward bound movies. I put up a egg crate wall so that no fish will ever get into the overflow again (maybe i should never say never)

Ill take some pictures tomorrow after a do a water change. I still have some major work to get my parameters back to normal but i think things are turning in the right direction.

southstar066

Lets see those pics. Didn't see you at the swap, but then again it was so packed I couldn't move to see anyone. There were some awsome vendors there. YZreef had some amazing frags. But keep us updated with pics. And swing by if you need some frags. I fragged up my nuclear greens, Purple Deaths and PPEs.

sweet, i would love to have a frag of the nuc greens and purple deaths. Ive still got a few nice frags left i could trade ya.

southstar066

I would def. but I am all out of room for any more coral , since I got like 9 pieces at the swap. I'll give you a good price a $10 a polyp. If I had room for a trade I would def. do it.

• 2 weeks later...

Its been a while since i took any pictures, so here are a few to keep this updated

FTS

IMG_0089.jpg

Bluespot Jawfish

IMG_0096.jpg

Monticap Tower

IMG_0094.jpg

Zoa Hill

IMG_0092.jpg

Monti Digi Rock

IMG_0101.jpg

IMG_0100.jpg

IMG_0110.jpg

IMG_0115.jpg

IMG_0095.jpg

IMG_0103.jpg

IMG_0104.jpg

IMG_0105.jpg

IMG_0106.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Every once in a while i get lucky in this hobby. I have a very cool and fast growing encrusting monti that has always done very well in my tank. 3 weeks ago a mushroom started to get a little close and i thought i would let them battle it out (i thought the monti would win). 3 days later the monti started to die and within a few hours it was completely dead. Well last week I was arranging my frag rack and noticed a green spot where i had originally let the monti grow out on the rack. To my suprise it was a piece of the monti starting to grow and has been doing very well. Its now the size of a dime and starting to have 2-3 branches growing. It must have grown over its frag plug and left a very small spot on the frag rack.

awesome to hear... its like when the monster dies at the end of the movie but then the camera pans away and you see the little baby monsters. Grats :P

INDMAS is hosting there meeting this month and they are teaching us how to take better pictures of our tank. Im really looking forward to these. I also am going to post random pictures of my other pet. She would eat my fish if she could

Erin001.jpg

Fish12-16016.jpg

Fish12-16027.jpg

Fish12-16038.jpg

Archived