inTank Media Baskets

CoRPS' 20L AIO w/Rockwall

CoRPS

Nothing new. I'm super broke so I've put this on the back burner for a while.Maybe I'll get it going in the next couple months, all really depends on my financial situation.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

shame really. But i guess in these times one must be frugal with there hard earned money.

I would have loved to see water in it by now tho!

It's a damn shame really. I spent a lot of time on it but right now I can't afford to even do a water change on my main tank. I usually do it weekly but it's been almost 3 weeks now. However, work should be coming soon.

I hope for you guys to hear from me soon. Maybe by March/April the tank will begin cycling.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm getting the itch to start the tank back up and at the very least completely finish the rockwall. I've got a friend who I'm trying to get into the hobby so it's actually boosting my interest in the hobby once again.

Maybe you guys will see an update within the next week or so.

Things that need to be done:

- Finish rockwall and foam

- Cycle rockwall in a tub

- Paint bottom and rear of tank - excluding fuge area - $8

- Buy live rock - $60/10lb

- Buy some tubing and loc-line for the returns - $20-30?

- Buy cheato - $10

- Attach fuge light to tank using... Acrylic and velcro? - $5

- Begin cycle!

Militant Jurist

I certainly can sympathize with the tight budget while starting up the project! I had been working through January, but that job dried up and I couldn't switch to something else given being a full time law student and working an externship and a legal clerkship. I finally finished my stand today, and I'm going to seed some dry rock in order to afford this... live rock would be a budget breaker, especially since I'm hoping to add another T5HO 2x24. Looks like we both have work to do!

• 4 weeks later...

Alright! That's it! I'm going ahead this weekend (hopefully) and starting back up with this damn tank. If I had all the tools/supplies I could bang it out and have it cycling in 2 days. Probably need $20 in parts to get this thing in gear. And about $20-$30 in LR.

Wish me luck.

When are you gonna get this thing done? I really want you to set it up and get some coraline on that wall. Or is it gonna get abandoned and replace by the pico ocean?

The local hardware store is ordering me the pond foam. It's supposed to be in on Tuesday. I have classes during the day so afterward it's all about getting the wall foamed and ready!

Here's a shot of the tank from today with the lights on, as you can see there isn't much more room for rock. So the rest will just be filled in with foam.

DSCF0364.jpg

I'm going to trim off all the eggcrate toward the top of the wall since I don't want the wall to go much higher than that.

Thanks Gerber!

I'm still flip flopping on what I want to do with the tank in terms of coral stocking. With the lighting I'm kind of limited. I'm thinking either zoanthids on the glass bottom or all along the rockwall but not both. I'm thinking mushrooms on the glass bottom with the zoas. I'm thinking ricordeas on the bridge (pictured above, can't really see it since most of the rest will be foam based)

I'm wondering what I should put on that huge rock that sets on the bottom of the tank. I don't want it to be ricordeas, mushrooms or zoas. Any ideas?

I picked up the pond foam today, however I don't think I'll get to the wall today since I'm building the 90 gallon's stand. I'd rather have the 20g done since I won't have the 90 setup anytime soon, but I just had a HUGE urge to build it today.

I may do the wall tonight though, will post pictures if I do!!!

Alright so I didn't get done with my stand until late last night. So I woke up today and started on the wall! I got the front of the wall done and waiting to... foam up...

photo2-2.jpg

I rough up the foam as soon as it's sprayed out so that it looks like rock when it's hardened. A lot of other people just keep it all puffy, looks stupid IMO. Anyway, I can't wait until I can put the sand ontop of the foam and get this thing cycling!

Here it is with all the sides done. Just need to do a little more eggcrate trimming and finish the little bridge area.

photo-4.jpg

God I can't wait to get the sand ontop of the black foam. It's so ugly like that :(

I'm getting closer! But yeah my water isn't wet enough. I should hit up StevieT.

Edit: I have made so many sacrifices for this tank! I'm going to go to class in an hour or so with black hands and splotches of black on my arms. Follow the directions and wear gloves when working with this stuff!! I was way too cool to put on gloves and now I look like an idiot.

Edit2: It looks like my hands have been black-faced

wow this is pretty nuts. Are you going to paint the foam? I dont get what your gonna do with that lol! Im stickin around for this forsure though.

PS. I love your avatar ;)

What I'm going to do is add an epoxy and sprinkle sand ontop of it. When it's all said and done it will look like rock! :)

I love my avatar too B)

• 1 month later...

Archived