inTank Media Baskets

CoRPS' 20L AIO w/Rockwall

CoRPS

Mock up:

photo8.jpg

Beginning assembly:

photo9.jpg

I cut the teeth out with the table saw, worked out perfectly!

Hoping to be done putting it together by tonight. I tested the weld-on on some scrap acrylic I had, and it took a while to set. After about an hour it was strong enough to take the clamps off but not strong enough to put any stress on it. This morning I stress tested it (about 12hrs of cure) and the acrylic broke before the bond. Which is great. But the cure time is pretty damn long!

Anyway, will post updates as they happen :)

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, it's not touching water until at least Thursday. I was more worried about the cure times for being able to move it around to add all the sides and baffles. I've already got all the sides up, going to start the baffles in about a half hour.

photo12.jpg

Mounted baffles. Waiting a half hour and then doing the other side. Should be cured by tomorrow and will get siliconed into tank either late tonight or tomorrow.

its looking good!

i would deffinitly add a rock wall it will give you a great aquascape that you can customize exactly the way you want. which is nice in such skinny tanks where you have less then 12 inches to work with, at the same time you have 12 inches in height to fill

Also, the only thing keeping me from going rock wall is that I'm nervous with little or no LR I may have filtration issues. Seeing as how I'm only going to have chaeto and MAYBE LR rubble (I've heard this could be a bad thing).

I'm asking a guy who set up a 220g reef with a ginormous rockwall and no LR what he does. I'm not planning on getting a skimmer either. This could get interesting. If all else fails I'll just stack LR on the back wall

you know, in time even base rock will become live rock. but you dont really need rock at all to have a good tank! I had kept a Fish only tank for a little over 2 years with little to no problems. Only using a rather large canister filter & a medium depth sand bed. no skimmer no other form of filtration ( i was a noob then.)

The real key is to stay ontop of your water changes. But you know this already. :-P

I don't want it to be a FO tank though. I'm going softy/LPS and maybe SPS down the line. I'm thinking I can maybe just get a bunch of LR rubble and connect it to the eggcrate without

tyty, I won't be able to use LR on the eggcrate becuase I need to let it cure outside of water for like 2 or 3 days. By then everything would be long dead.

Alright. Got the wall painted and installed. Goign to wait between 24 and 48hrs for the silicone to cure. Or until I don't smell the vinegar. We'll see.

Here's the test fit:

photo14.jpg

Here's about 5m after siliconing:

IMG_0454.jpg

:) It's not as clean as it looks tbh. The silicone job is pretty shabby.

Still debating whether I should make a eggcrate/foam/rockwall or just a regular LR pile like a normal person.

I think my next project:

DIY Acrylic planted betta tank.

I made this about a month ago, I want to replace it with something bigger and maybe 2 or 3 of the plants.

IMG_0075.jpg

Ok, just got done water testing it. Everything went pretty good. There is one leak on the outer false wall.

leak.jpg

But, it doesn't effect anything, so I'm not even sure if I'm going to fix it. The only thing I could do is add silicone, and silicone doesn't stick very well to acrylic, it kind of just flakes off. And it would look pretty unsightly. I guess I will wait and get some suggestions from you guys.

Anyway, now I'm deciding if I want to use sand or bare bottom. If I go barebottom I think I want to have a zoanthid mat! I don't know we'll see. Any suggestions?

Can't get my fingers in there. At all. It's about 1" of space.

Edit:

Just thought I'd update. I've started chiseling some limestone I've got. Going to go tomorrow to pick up some eggcrate and maybe the foam, not sure if I'll need it as I can chisel the limestone to whatever size I'd like.

Anyway, I'll post some pictures as they happen.

Alright. Here comes the rock wall spoiler. Started constructing it today but it's Friday so I'm going to go out and act like someone my age.

Tell me how you like it!

rockwall-1.jpg

Not sure if those pillars are going to have a plate type rock on the top or if it's just going to be a regular pillar. You tell me what you think!

Archived