Pod Your Reef

Nano Sapiens 12g - Ye Olde Mixed Reef

Nano sapiens

Nano sapiens

"You go, little guy!!!"

Squat%20Lobster%20Eating%20Bristleworm_0

Nice to have an active bristleworm hunter, even if it can only tackle the little ones.

As a result, I very rarely see any young bristleworms, just a few large 'old timers'.

• Like 10

"Off With Their Heads..."

New frags ready for next week's regional swap.

Ultra%20Blue%20amp%20Green%20BN%20Frags_

Gorgeous little fraglets :). I love the colors you are sporting in this tank...so vibrant!!!!
Nano sapiens

Gorgeous little fraglets :). I love the colors you are sporting in this tank...so vibrant!!!!

'Fraglets'...I like that :) The Ultra-Blue Digi frag growth (3") is only about 3 month's worth (exceptionally fast growing coral).

The 'top-down' shots definitely bring out the most color. I've also been experimenting with lighting spectrum by slowly reducing whites a bit and using the 'Cloud' feature in my Storm controller every day of the week. So far, these changes have had a positive effect on the corals' health/growth (using 3x as much Kalkwasser) and they generally appear more 'relaxed' (if one can call a coral 'relaxed') ;)

• Like 4
Nano sapiens

Petroglyph Zoas...'Bigger-er':

Petroglyph%20Zoa%201Quarter%20Inch_08151

Hard to get my long ruler in there, but a couple months ago I measured 1" across the tentacle tips...now it's up to 1-1/4". Slightly larger than a 50 cent piece...

If they get any bigger, might have to reclassify them as 'Mini-anemones' ;)

...in other news, my GBG just had a long string of poop ripped out of him by the Yelow-Lined goby (nom-nom!). The trials and tribulations of being a fish... ;)

• Like 9

newly hatched Green Banded Gobies all tucked inside my frag rack :)[/font][/size]

Try to raise them!!!! I get those too and always want to try to raise them but don't have the time right now to dedicate to something like that. I know it can be done though. That's a goal of mine one day :).
  • Like 1
Nano sapiens

Try to raise them!!!! I get those too and always want to try to raise them but don't have the time right now to dedicate to something like that. I know it can be done though. That's a goal of mine one day :).

If they could eat baby brine shrimp right away it would be no problem.

I highly doubt that they will survive, but I'm going to leave the frag rack in for a while and feed them 2x/day with dry food paste and the cloudy particles from the frozen foods.

• Like 2
Nano sapiens

My Yuma did that

Congratulations on the little Goby fry!!!

Thanks. I knew it was coming since the pair had been MIA for feeding some days, but it was a nice surprise this morning :)

So exciting.

Yes, always a nice surprise :)

• Like 2
Nano sapiens

That's so cool! Congrats on the fry :).

Thanks!

The gobies are super cool, what a neat thing to have happen in your tank!!

Was a nice surprise, that's for sure.

However, as of this evening they're down from 29 to 12, but this was not unexpected. Interesting to see if any will be left in the morning...

• Like 1

If they could eat baby brine shrimp right away it would be no problem.

I highly doubt that they will survive, but I'm going to leave the frag rack in for a while and feed them 2x/day with dry food paste and the cloudy particles from the frozen foods.

Yes, that would be nice if they took baby brine right away! Mine are always gone by the next day. Fish eat them, they get sucked into the filter, and who knows what else.

Nano sapiens

Yes, that would be nice if they took baby brine right away! Mine are always gone by the next day. Fish eat them, they get sucked into the filter, and who knows what else.

I still have 10 sucked up under the frag rack. The bodies have changed color from transparent to opaque. I've raised two dozen or so different species of FW fish, but most SW fish are quite different. Evidentally, they go through a larval stage then settle out after 3-4 weeks onto the substrate. Getting them to the settlement stage in an aquarium full of hungry mouths...that would be a miracle.

• Like 1
Nano sapiens

You can try decapsulated brine shrimp, I heard some larvae will go for it :)

I've heard of that, but these little guys are so teeny there is no way they could fit one in their mouths.

jedimasterben

I've heard of that, but these little guys are so teeny there is no way they could fit one in their mouths.

That's really surprising. The decapped brine I'm used to buying is like powder sand!

Nano sapiens

That's really surprising. The decapped brine I'm used to buying is like powder sand!

These guys are so small that even Reef-Roids is too big.

Anyway, they seem to have all died (opaque and not moving, even when squirting water with a pipette). Oddly, they are still stuck to the frag rack, though...

These guys are so small that even Reef-Roids is too big.

Anyway, they seem to have all died (opaque and not moving, even when squirting water with a pipette). Oddly, they are still stuck to the frag rack, though...

I had such high hopes for your little ones.
Nano sapiens

I had such high hopes for your little ones.

Well, it's very common for a female's first brood to be weak. Assuming that nothing bad happens to them, then they should have many more batches and hopefully stronger fry.

:(

No worries, they'll be more :)

• Like 3
  • Nano sapiens changed the title to Nano Sapiens 12g - Ye Olde Mixed Reef
  • Christopher Marks locked this topic
  • Christopher Marks unlocked this topic