Cultivated Reef

Nano Sapiens 12g - Ye Olde Mixed Reef

Nano sapiens

Nano sapiens

Ok, this is supposed to be a Ric, not a dinner plate!:

Huge Ric_041717.jpg

To give a size reference, the green Florida Ric on the right is already a bit over 4" in diameter and the orange Yuma on the right/front is 3".  There are a couple behind and in the center of the Ric pile that are getting nearly as big.  Any larger and I may need a bigger tank :blink:

• Like 13
Nano sapiens
1 minute ago, Weetabix7 said:

That's completely crazy, you're growing Mutant Corals!!!!!!

What's even crazier is that it has only one mouth.  Usually, when they get this big they are really two or three polyps that will eventually split.  Not this one, though...

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Nano sapiens said:

Huge Ric_041717.jpg

To give a size reference, the green Florida Ric on the right is already a bit over 4" in diameter and the orange Yuma on the right/front is 3".  There are a couple behind and in the center of the Ric pile that are getting nearly as big.  Any larger and I may need a bigger tank :blink:

Whoa!  How old it is, or how long have you had it?

• Like 1
Nano sapiens
2 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

Wow. 

You always have interesting things happening in here!!!

Never a dull moment! :)

1 hour ago, J-Ranko said:

Whoa!  How old it is, or how long have you had it?

Let's see, must be around 8+ years on the R floridas.  These were from a '10 pack' from Coral Morphologic...

• Like 4

Rics are really interesting, the ones I had in my 4g did the same thing, they just got bigger and bigger without splitting. But the same ones in my 10g split regularly. 

• Like 1
Nano sapiens
1 hour ago, teenyreef said:

Rics are really interesting, the ones I had in my 4g did the same thing, they just got bigger and bigger without splitting. But the same ones in my 10g split regularly. 

Based on accounts of sightings in the wild I've read, the larger Rics tend to be found in deeper water and don't form colonies with large amounts of polyps, while those in shallower water are much smaller and the colonies are much larger.  The deeper water Rics are believed to be responsible for sexual reproduction, while the shallow Rics reproduce asexually.

It would seem to follow that light intensity, spectrum and flow can play a role in how Rics develop in our systems.  I have noticed that in the predominately high energy SPS tanks that I've seen with Rics, they tend to be relatively small and tightly packed.  In those Softie type tanks with less energy (usually), Rics tend to be bigger.

The Rics I have in higher light and flow are definitely smaller, while the really large ones are relatively subdued lighting and lower flow.

• Like 3
Nano sapiens
1 hour ago, natalia_la_loca said:

So amazing :wub: I've never seen a ric anywhere near that size!

Yeah. thinking it might be a bit too large for a Reef Bowl ;)

My guess is that these have maxed out, but who knows what a few more years might bring...

• Like 2
sam_the_reefer
On 4/18/2017 at 8:47 AM, Nano sapiens said:

Huge Ric_041717.jpg

I have the same problem with my yuma now.

Nano sapiens

'Planulae' Update:

58dffc18ed9d7_PlanulaeinSalsaContainer_040117.jpg.b1a6f026d720228971958cd6879ea801.jpg

So, after more than 5 weeks of nursing the 'planulae in a salsa container', I can say that...not much at all has happened :(.  No real growth, no significant body changes or changes in movement (a few still twirl slowly by themselves).  Since the net set up to hold the container is a bit cumbersome, impedes flow and the net would be cyano covered within a few days...I let them go into some deeper rock crevaces under the Birdsnests.  Some of them should be deep enough that the hermits can't get to them, but they can still receive some light.  Only one seems to have attached itself to a small piece of shell and that one is now where I can monitor it (sand bed in low flow/low light).

As I find more, I'll continue to pop them into the live rocks' nocks-and-crannies and see what happens...

• Like 3
40 minutes ago, Nano sapiens said:

'Planulae' Update:

58dffc18ed9d7_PlanulaeinSalsaContainer_040117.jpg.b1a6f026d720228971958cd6879ea801.jpg

So, after more than 5 weeks of nursing the 'planulae in a salsa container', I can say that...not much at all has happened :(.  No real growth, no significant body changes or changes in movement (a few still twirl slowly by themselves).  Since the net set up to hold the container is a bit cumbersome, impedes flow and the net would be cyano covered within a few days...I let them go into some deeper rock crevaces under the Birdsnests.  Some of them should be deep enough that the hermits can't get to them, but they can still receive some light.  Only one seems to have attached itself to a small piece of shell and that one is now where I can monitor it (sand bed in low flow/low light).

As I find more, I'll continue to pop them into the live rocks' nocks-and-crannies and see what happens...

Hmmm, but I wanna know more!!!!!

Quite the mystery....... 

Nano sapiens
2 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

Quite the mystery....... 

Yes, it sure is.  Who knows, perhaps in a few months the LR will be strouting little baby 'Shroomies' :)

• Like 1
Nano sapiens
5 hours ago, pj86 said:

Cool to see around Nano sapiens and your aquarium!, still going and looking good.

Thanks.  Yup, it 's still plugging along and once in a while it even has a surprise or two :) 

• Like 1
Nano sapiens
On 4/21/2017 at 7:03 PM, Weetabix7 said:

Quite the mystery....... 

Yeah, after a few days I can't find any of the 'planulae' anywhere in the tank.  Where they all went to is now the new mystery...

Just now, Nano sapiens said:

Yeah, after a few days I can't find any of the 'planulae' anywhere in the tank.  Where they all went to is now the new mystery...

Hmmm. 

Hopefully there will be a sequel further down the road, in which all is revealed....

• Like 1
Nano sapiens
1 hour ago, Rehype said:

That is the biggest ric I have ever seen  :eek:......great job nano 

Yeah, it's kind of freaky to have something like this in a tank that measures just 12" x 15" :o.  I guess if one keeps them long enough, in just the right conditions, this is what can happen...

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Nano sapiens said:

Yeah, it's kind of freaky to have something like this in a tank that measures just 12" x 15" :o.  I guess if one keeps them long enough, in just the right conditions, this is what can happen...

Do you target feed that monster?

Nano sapiens
2 hours ago, Rehype said:

Do you target feed that monster?

Nope.  It just gets the occasional leftover piece of food from feeding the fish.

• Nano sapiens changed the title to Nano Sapiens 12g - Ye Olde Mixed Reef
  • Christopher Marks locked this topic
  • Christopher Marks unlocked this topic