ReefCleaners.org

Nano Sapiens 12g - Ye Olde Mixed Reef

Nano sapiens

Two vids of the Two Spot Blenny going at the Hermit's algae encrusted shell.

Two%20Spot%20Blenny%20Feeding_022516_zps

The first one he's like, "Look, there goes my piece of cyano...aha...aha..."

http://vid230.photobucket.com/albums/ee141/Back2dubs/Two%20Spot%20Blenny1_022516_zpsa7ksc82j.mp4

Bam!!! This one caught the surprisingly violent feeding action from such a small fish:

http://vid230.photobucket.com/albums/ee141/Back2dubs/Two%20Spot%20Blenny2_022516_zpsjo2ce2xh.mp4

• Like 3

:wub:

They're just so cute.

Endearing, for sure :)

Looking at the two spots on this Blenny, they look a lot like two large crab eyes to me. I wonder if they might be used to either confuse or startle would be predators...

• Like 2

Male SL was out in the open and the video below (see link) gives a good representation of their deliberate movements. I just fed him a pellet and he's off to eat in peace:

Yellow%20Black%20Stipped%20Squat%20Lobst

Video Link:

http://vid230.photobucket.com/albums/ee141/Back2dubs/Yellow%20Black%20Stipped%20Squat%20Lobster%20Male_022516_zpsjysesthy.mp4

Such a fascinating critter! Love the movements and the color on this little guy is so awesome!

The blenny is pretty cute too! Looks like he'll be quite the algae eating beast for you!

• Like 1

Such a fascinating critter! Love the movements and the color on this little guy is so awesome!

The blenny is pretty cute too! Looks like he'll be quite the algae eating beast for you!

The Squat Lobsters are very cool and both are eating very well, too. Considering that they are likely eating during much of the night from their host Crinoid in nature, I've been feeding them directly 3x/day with a variety of food. I'm not sure what their normal life span is, but I'm hoping for a year or more :)

The Blenny is pecking at everything except the hair algae I was hoping it would start mowing down. Oh well, maybe later...

• Like 3

Loved the videos. Felicia got it right when she described the blenny as an algae eating beast! A beast in the cutest sense however!!!

Glad you enjoyed them. Yeah, the Blenny is great. I didn't know that they can move their eyes around independently like a Chamelon. Comical when it's looking at one thing in the rocks with one eye while the other tries to track a piece of food floating by: "Watch the rock or chase the food...chase the speck or watch the rock...SO CONFUSED!!!" ;)

So far, no one has ended up in the back chambers. Even though I do have some 1/4" netting to offer some protection, I'm trying to fatten them all up as quickly as possible so they won't fit through the overflow slots :)

However, the Blenny came in really thin and tries to eat, but spits everything back out again. My guess is that it has been in a holding environment for a while and may have lost much of it's gut fauna. I'm starting to feed him newly hatched earthworms daily from the our compostt heap since they are very nutritious and contain heaps of bacteria. Little guy took a small piece and kept it down (as far a I can tell), so we'll see if he pulls through.

• Like 4

Just got caught up - I love all the new creatures! I hope the two spot starts keeping food down. Do you think he'd like live blackworms?

Thanks. I'm sure he'd go for some blackworms, too. Right now, he's taking tiny newborn earthworms and, for the first time, he ate a few small flakes without spitting them out again. That's a good sign!

The little Squat Lobsters are funny. As soon as they detect food odor in the water they stick their little claws out from hiding and wave them around frantically. Of course, I can't resist feeding them (looks like they have trained me already) :)

The Yellow Neon Gobies had no issues adjusting and are fattening up very well. Neat the way they can suction onto the glass.

• Like 2
Nano sapiens
Nano sapiens

Those are awesome! Maybe something to consider adding to my tank later on...

Glad you liked them :)

If you have a 'peaceful' reef tank, they can do well. However, some accounts I've read claim that they don't do as well as when they live with a Crinoid Featherstar. Time will tell...

Glad you enjoyed them. Yeah, the Blenny is great. I didn't know that they can move their eyes around independently like a Chamelon. Comical when it's looking at one thing in the rocks with one eye while the other tries to track a piece of food floating by: "Watch the rock or chase the food...chase the speck or watch the rock...SO CONFUSED!!!" ;)

So far, no one has ended up in the back chambers. Even though I do have some 1/4" netting to offer some protection, I'm trying to fatten them all up as quickly as possible so they won't fit through the overflow slots :)

However, the Blenny came in really thin and tries to eat, but spits everything back out again. My guess is that it has been in a holding environment for a while and may have lost much of it's gut fauna. I'm starting to feed him newly hatched earthworms daily from the our compostt heap since they are very nutritious and contain heaps of bacteria. Little guy took a small piece and kept it down (as far a I can tell), so we'll see if he pulls through.

O no! Best wishes for fattening up the blenny!
Nano sapiens

O no! Best wishes for fattening up the blenny!

Thanks. The Blenny has stated to eat flakes, which is a good sign. I'm feeding him 3x/wk and he is thin still, but active and alert.

• Like 1

Thanks. The Blenny has stated to eat flakes, which is a good sign. I'm feeding him 3x/wk and he is thin still, but active and alert.

I am glad to hear that he is progressing in the right direction.:-)

Nano sapiens

Very nice, does the Setosa get stung from the zoo's ? Who wins that battle?

Thanks. No stinging that I can see, but It's funny that as the Setosa 'fingers' grow many of the Zoas get stretched in between. The Setosa is kind of peppered with Oxides and a few Speckled Fire'n'Ice here and there.

Hey look! Your tank is on the Reef2Reef Facebook page :)

25092718419_809356fe7e.jpg

Well, that's interesting. Don't do Facebook, but it appears this is perhaps a poll or something?

• Like 2

Well, that's interesting. Don't do Facebook, but it appears this is perhaps a poll or something?

Yeah it was a link to a thread on Reef2Reef where people were giving opinions about the tank size they think is best for beginners. Not sure how your photo got associated with it, but I saw it and was like, "I know that tank!"

Nano sapiens

Yeah it was a link to a thread on Reef2Reef where people were giving opinions about the tank size they think is best for beginners. Not sure how your photo got associated with it, but I saw it and was like, "I know that tank!"

That's cool. Thanks for letting me know :)

I guess if a tank is around long enough it'll make its way all over the Internet.

• Like 4
  • Nano sapiens changed the title to Nano Sapiens 12g - Ye Olde Mixed Reef
  • Christopher Marks locked this topic
  • Christopher Marks unlocked this topic