inTank Media Baskets

Nano Sapiens 12g - Ye Olde Mixed Reef

Nano sapiens

Wow the new additions look great! Those squat lobsters are incredible :wub: They look like something out a diver's magazine

Thanks, Yoshii. I've always had an affinity for them. I still miss losing my Red Galathea crab to the Clownfish :(

is that a monster bristle worm in the lobster pic?

Oh yeah, one of many! A few are nearly as fat as a pencil :blink:

• Like 3

Not all that much is known about keeping these squat lobsters healthy over the long term in aquaria, but when the lights were out for a few hours in the room I found that they had migrated up to one of the highest points in the tank:

Yellow%20Black%20Stripped%20Squat%20Lobs

They greadily took flakes, so that's a good sign :)

In nature crinoids will position themselves on reef pinnacles at night where the flow is high to obtain planktonic food and these SL eat some of it. It'll be fun trying different foods each night to see what they like to munch on.

• Like 6

so exciting and new!

Always something :)

If you look at the right side SL under his 'armpit' there's a slightly reddish mass that doesn't quite look like Setosa. That's a bunch of flakes that he has collected. Both of them collect and store food in bundles like that.

• Like 4

These little guys are fascinating! I love weird little inverts. My tank is just to the size where small things get lost. Maybe someday when I have more time for maintenance, I'll do a little pico for some tiny inverts.

• Like 1

These little guys are fascinating! I love weird little inverts. My tank is just to the size where small things get lost. Maybe someday when I have more time for maintenance, I'll do a little pico for some tiny inverts.

To tell you the truth, even in a 12g these little guys can geta little lost :)

A pico of 3 - 5g or so would be awesome!

• Like 1

To tell you the truth, even in a 12g these little guys can geta little lost :)

A pico of 3 - 5g or so would be awesome!

Yeah tiny picos are awesome! But kind of a lot of work with I think. Anyways, I'm bad at getting another tank and then regretting it because I have a hard time dealing with more than one tank at a time. I just need a tiny display refugium plumbed into my main tank for fun little inverts. :D

Love the new pic of the squats! That's awesome that they store food and migrate to the top Are they a mated pair?

Interesting inverts, for sure. I sure hope that I can keep them healthy over the long-term.

Not 100% sure, but I believe that with these guys any male/female pair will mate.

• Like 2

Interesting inverts, for sure. I sure hope that I can keep them healthy over the long-term.

Not 100% sure, but I believe that with these guys any male/female pair will mate.

Are they active during the day?

God those little crabs are cool. I'm jealous!

Creatures like these are fascinating. Then again, I think my old Blue-Legged Hermit is amazing (even if he is very common) :)

Are they active during the day?

I've only had them in the tank today, but so far they seem to have a retiring nature during the day.

• Like 3

Creatures like these are fascinating. Then again, I think my old Blue-Legged Hermit is amazing (even if he is very common) :)

I've only had them in the tank today, but so far they seem to have a retiring nature during the day.

It's amazing how some of the simplest stuff can be the most amazing. I still think my xenia is one of the most beautiful corals I have ever seen lol.

It's amazing how some of the simplest stuff can be the most amazing. I still think my xenia is one of the most beautiful corals I have ever seen lol.

Abosolutely, Xenia is an amazing coral. I even find my hoard of Bristleworms with their little beady eyes, multicolored refective bodies and the ability to swallow relatively large sand grains quite amazing B)

• Like 3

Love the new additions, that Blenny is awesome. :)

He is a character, but not that 'relaxed' ('Awesome'...'Relax'...I'm sure you caught that reference) ;)

Stays right up front right where he can keep an eye on me :)

• Like 3

Nano, you got new creatures! And they are pretty cool! I love the blenny, will it graze on algae like tailspots do? This will be fun following and learning along with you about these new animals.

Nano, you got new creatures! And they are pretty cool! I love the blenny, will it graze on algae like tailspots do? This will be fun following and learning along with you about these new animals.

Thanks. Yes, the Two Spot has the similar habits as the Tailspot, but should stay a bit smaller.

Always a learning experience :)

:o leave you for a couple of days and you buy out a whole store?! :flower:

Very nice additions to the tank.

Got to maximize the 'benefit-to-shipping-cost' ratio ;)

Seems like quite a few creatires, but they are small so they get lost in this tank. If all goes well, they should settle in and put on some length and girth :)

• Like 3
  • Nano sapiens changed the title to Nano Sapiens 12g - Ye Olde Mixed Reef
  • Christopher Marks locked this topic
  • Christopher Marks unlocked this topic