inTank Media Baskets

28g JBJ HQI Club....

MarvinsReef

I think Marvin has the Tunze in his aquafuge.

The Tunze will fit in the center if you loose the media basket and get a new collection cup from StevieT.

Im still running the stock light, but Ill probably go Radium 20k in a couple of months. I like the blue.

I've heard good things about the Phoenix 14k too.

hppd has some pics in this thread with the 14k Phoenix

link to post with pics

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply
MarvinsReef
MarvinsReef,

How do you have your Tunze 9002 installed? Is it in one of the back chambers? Did you have to modify anything to get it to fit? Got any pics?

Thanks,

Landon

got an AquaFuge in the back... that's where the Tunze is... easy fit on the Aquafuge and no modification done.... sorry, no pic though... :(

hello everyone! i was wondering if anyone did the nanotuners actinic upgrade, and if so, how do you like it? i am trying to decide if I should get 2 actinic blue bulbs, or 2 50/50 bulb. i have the jbj 28g and the tanks been up and running for about 1 and 1/2 years. running a 14K HQI bulb.

hello everyone! i was wondering if anyone did the nanotuners actinic upgrade, and if so, how do you like it? i am trying to decide if I should get 2 actinic blue bulbs, or 2 50/50 bulb. i have the jbj 28g and the tanks been up and running for about 1 and 1/2 years. running a 14K HQI bulb.

A lot of us have it. I went with 2 actinics.

What type of bulb are you guys using with this tank? I keep hearing the stock HQI bulb is pretty crappy, and replacement 14K bulbs have much more of an actinic glow versus the stock one.. I think I might buy a replacement, what do you guys recommend?

Cystosol

i labored over which to buy.. and finally settled on the phoenix 14k... its a little bit more blue that what was in the tank stock.. i really like it..and am seeing nice growth.

i bought the upgrade kit and went with two actinics..

made an ENOURMOUS difference in the look of the tank.

does anyone know if JBJ is now selling the 28G tank with the actinics already installed in the hood? they should.....im sure folks wouldnt mind paying a wee big more to have them already installed.

Well I finally broke down and bought a chiller JBJ nano artica and hooked it up Sat and OMG it works great I have yet to add a drop of water to the tank I did have to reset the thermostat as it was off and the tank was geting to cold.

Also I ordered the atenic upgrade from nano Tuners for my hood waiting for it to arrive.

Allen

Freddybnj2004

Hey all...I took some pics of my setup...1st... tank was just fed so not clear as can be... lol and second I suck at photography.. Well my setup is complete.. actually not true... I still need the Actinic light kit... but everything else is done... JBJ 28 HQI Nanocube, chamber one has original pump, Stealth 150W heater (set at 79) and hose drawing water out to a 300GPH pump which feeds my JBJ Mini 1/15 Chiller which then feeds back into chamber 3. Chamber 3 has original pump and a hose which draws water to another 300gph pump which feeds in series, 2 reactors (Phosban and carbon) and my UV sterilizer which then feeds back to chamber 1. Chamber two gets a hose from my 600GPH pump in my 15 gallon Sump/Fuge. My sump has a Tunze 9002 Skimmer, 10 lbs live sand, 12 lbs live rock, a Stealth 150W (Backup) heater set at 77 and a hand full of Chleopa in first area, filter floss in 2nd area and pump and dual sensor floats for water level in third area. Feeding the sump is a CPR 300gph HOB overflow... and next to sump is my 10 gallon RO/DI filled reservoir which is driven by a JBJ ATO system.

Pics are at this link

HTTP://www.photobucket.com/freddysreef

A lot of us have it. I went with 2 actinics.

Hey viince,

I just ordered the upgrade for my 28HQI and I am waiting for the delivery but I have since heard that there is an issue with the extra bulbs causing to much heat and melting the splash guard have you experinced anything like this.

Allen

Hey viince,

I just ordered the upgrade for my 28HQI and I am waiting for the delivery but I have since heard that there is an issue with the extra bulbs causing to much heat and melting the splash guard have you experinced anything like this.

Allen

I haven't noticed anything melting.

I haven't had any melting either. I really want to upgrade to a phoenix 14k and a pair of 18w actinics instead of the jbj 14k (which I haven't been impressed with) and the 50/50 bulbs (10k/actinic) I've been running with. Alot of my corals have been browning, but I think with a vortech mp20 and some new lights I think everything will color up nice

Thanks guys for the reponse!

That makes me feel alot better because the guy that at the LFS told me that there were three coustomers that come into the store that have the same tank as I do with the upgrade and they have had melting issues.

Planning on doing the upgrade this weekend!

Thought I would add a FTS of my tank before the upgrade.

Allen

007-2.jpg

Does anybody use the Actinics upgrade with a 20k bulb??

Is it too blue?? How's growth color etc??

I need to unbrown some of my sps .... euuggh!

20K is the best for the actinics upgrade.. mainly because anything less than 20k would not be actual actinics. Keep in mind that actinic lighting does not do much for coral growth, but just makes them look alot better. If you are having problems with lighting, consider replacing your stock HQI bulb if you have not already done so.

I have the stock jbj 14k bulb and looking to upgrade it. Has anyone used the radium 20k bulb or similar 20k bulb and had good results.

A picture of a 20000k bulb on the tank would be great to see if anyone can post one???

I dont want to do the actinics upgrade, hence the 20k bulb, any feedback much appreciated

Interested in this as well. Gonna order the radium this week.

Also, I have the 2.18 nanotuners upgrade. Can someone confirm if these PC bulbs are square pin or straight pin? I am away from my tank at the moment.

20K is the best for the actinics upgrade.. mainly because anything less than 20k would not be actual actinics. Keep in mind that actinic lighting does not do much for coral growth, but just makes them look alot better. If you are having problems with lighting, consider replacing your stock HQI bulb if you have not already done so.
MarvinsReef
A picture of a 20000k bulb on the tank would be great to see if anyone can post one???

20k Radium bulb w/ the actinics upgrade... I'm not sure if the actinics were on, on this shot... I'll try to take another FTS soon.... it's not too blue for me even with the actinics on, just right...

FTS_12-09-08C.jpg

An attempt at shooting my tank in HD, towards the end (about 4:50) you can see my locline spray bar addition, might help some people out.

(Click on HD in the vid)

gothunder3022
An attempt at shooting my tank in HD, towards the end (about 4:50) you can see my locline spray bar addition, might help some people out.

(Click on HD in the vid)

Very nice!!

my nc is about 3 months old.

phoenix 14k bulb.

nanotuners 18w actinic kit.

stock skimmer.

no media in basket.

rena xp2 canister filter.

fts...

th_14958_picture_459_122_230lo.jpg

p.s. any coral you see on the rock was hitchhiking.

I just went to clean and do somemaintenance on the stock acella pumps and they have 100 l/hr written on them? I thought these were suppose to be 300 g/h?

Im in the uk but wouldnt have thought that would change the spec? Anyone else got that written on their pumps?

Archived