ReefCleaners.org

28g JBJ HQI Club....

MarvinsReef

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

can someone better explain to me how to mount and use this crazy protein skimmer?

I'm not sure I understand why you need to mount it higher or lower...

Which wall did you hang it on?

And the instructions say to connect both lines from the air pump to a T-connector (It came with the tank?) into the air stone?

Basically I really don't understand how the thing work, or how it should be used.

curious for the people that use chemical means like carbon and chemipure. what do you do for a reverse light cycle at night to keep ph in check? does anyone run carbon and other stuff and still have a fuge for macro algae or do you just run a light on the back at night? i am only planning on using carbon, chemipure and a sponge in my back chamber. just need a way to keep ph stable at night.

Jason

If you want to use the media rack you'll need to get a HOB fuge with a light to keep PH swings stable. Just shining a light on the back isnt going to do much without the back chambers converted to a fuge and teaming with life.

can someone better explain to me how to mount and use this crazy protein skimmer?

I'm not sure I understand why you need to mount it higher or lower...

Which wall did you hang it on?

And the instructions say to connect both lines from the air pump to a T-connector (It came with the tank?) into the air stone?

Basically I really don't understand how the thing work, or how it should be used.

The stock skimmer is mounted kinda flimsy imo and therefore hard to adjust. It mounts with the semi circle clip onto the overflow wall - skimmer side.

The airline is as follows: Take two pieces of airline about 4 in. and plug both onto air outlets on pump. Then plug each end onto T - connector. Then connect the balance of tubing to last end of T and the other end to the skimmer.

The stock skimmer is nothing but a PITA imo. I removed mine and just try to be sure to do a WC EVERY week. So much less trouble. (still looking for a good skimmer for this tank.)

The stock skimmer is a bit of a pain to set up, but I think it skims very well after you break it in.. I get a half cup of nice skimmate every week and other than the fact that the pump is a little noisy, it works very very well.

do you guys take out the ceramic rings in the chamber box? I wast thinking about taking it out and putting chemipure or something esle. What do you think?

I removed mine and I think most others do too. The liverock in the display will provide the home for your bacteria. No need for the rings.

I use filter floss in the top followed by a bag of carbon or sometimes a GFO/carbon mix.

Chemipure elite and purigen are are pretty popular media too.

Ya the skimmer does actually skim fairly well. I just got tired of removing the cup everytime I opened the hood and then keep readjusting it just right only to realize..........oh crap, I gotta open the hood again.

So, I have a 24g DX w/ a 28g HQI hood. Do I get to be in the club?

Hey BumbleBee Welcome to Nano-Reef and to the thread for the JBJ club! :welcome:

There are alot of good people here with good information...enjoy!

Allen

The stock skimmer is a bit of a pain to set up, but I think it skims very well after you break it in.. I get a half cup of nice skimmate every week and other than the fact that the pump is a little noisy, it works very very well.

I agree Cytosol, I am still using the stock skimmer and it works well!

My air pump got a little on the noisy side so I took it apart and found that one of the rubber collars that attaches the moving magnet was shifted I readjusted it and the air pump got much quieter!

Allen

Hey BumbleBee Welcome to Nano-Reef and to the thread for the JBJ club! :welcome:

There are alot of good people here with good information...enjoy!

Allen

So I won't be viewed upon as inadequete with my 4g-less, closed sump, no skimmer gimpyness? :D

Yeah, but we won't tell you to your face. ;)

J/K, Welcome!

Hmm I joined a month before you and only have 30 less posts, who is welcoming who?! :D :D :D

How many pounds of live rock and sand did everyone put in their tanks? And what kind of live rock?

about 30-35 lbs of cultured live rock from Sea Life Inc

about 20 pounds of sand

Hey MPatzer thanks so much for all of your input on the fuge. I've been reading along in your past threads and your input has been awesome.

One question I have: is there a reason you reccomended this particular freshwater light over what the site says is a saltwater light for the refugium? Any response would be awesome thanks!

Hey MPatzer thanks so much for all of your input on the fuge. I've been reading along in your past threads and your input has been awesome.

One question I have: is there a reason you reccomended this particular freshwater light over what the site says is a saltwater light for the refugium? Any response would be awesome thanks!

The 6700k bulb would be good for macro algae growth.

Hey all...It's been a while since I posted anything, Been busy with work, kids, & just life in general. All of your tanks are looking great!! Thought I'd post some updated pics. Let me know what you guys think.

Mods:

Nano Customs 36watts actinic retrofit

Nano Customs fan upgrade kit

fuge in back w/cheato & LR rubble

18w fuge light on back of tank

chemi-pure

Phos Guard

Azoo Fan

FTS

post-39930-1235701519_thumb.jpg

Ric's

post-39930-1235702862_thumb.jpg

Bird's Nest

post-39930-1235702789_thumb.jpg

Acan

post-39930-1235702783_thumb.jpg

Favia

post-39930-1235702803_thumb.jpg

Fuzzy Shrooms

post-39930-1235702841_thumb.jpg

Hammer Head

post-39930-1235702846_thumb.jpg

Open Brain

post-39930-1235702851_thumb.jpg

Figi Finger Leather

post-39930-1235702833_thumb.jpg

Fido(Citron Goby)

post-39930-1235702826_thumb.jpg

One of the CUC members

post-39930-1235702797_thumb.jpg

I'll try and get some pics of the Sun Coral after it opens up tonight for feeding....also some more FTS's after a little house cleaning this weekend.

-Jason

The 6700k bulb would be good for macro algae growth.

OK thanks for the response Viinse.. I was literally just a couple clicks away from ordering it and needed to confirm!!

I am still trying to figure out a way to increase the flow of my tank. It seems that replacing the pumps with better ones will help a lot. I happen to have two maxi-jet 1200's on hand that would fit in there. Is there anything that will be stronger than the mj1200, but still fit in the side chambers?

Ya, I hear the MJ1200 work very well in place of the stock pumps. They are somewhat louder however and given that they only add slightly more flow Im not sure it would be worth it. I guess if you already own them it would be worth a try to see how you like it. Maybe someone here that has done this mod could offer some insight.

And as always, be sure to let us know how it goes.

BTW - JJ your tank is looking great! Love the favia and that sun coral is sooooo nice!!

Looks good JJ. You have inspired me to update my tank thread this weekend. I've done a bunch of mods, and it's finally starting to look good enough to take some pics. Not as nice as yours, but I'm no longer ashamed. :D

Thanks for the + feedback guys. I'll try to post some more pics that i took last night. Just figured out I can use my wife's photobucket account to post pic's better.

-Jason

Archived