Top Shelf Aquatics

28g JBJ HQI Club....

MarvinsReef

gothunder3022
Wow, how snug did the Maxi-jet 1200 fit and was the flow change dramatic? I am running both stock Accela SP1-1000 pumps at the same time to get the flow to the back faster for filtering. Can I alternate pump with a Wavemaker if I change to Maxi-Jet 1200? Will the flow be the same as two Accela SP1-1000 pumps running at the same time?

I wished that I read this thread a few days back. I ordered two Taam Rio® HyperFlow 6HF with dimensions of 3.9" x 2" x 2.5" to see if it will fit. It has 350 GPH @ 1ft which if fits might be better then the Maxi-Jet 1200. If anyone is interested, I will get them the end of the week and try this out.

By the way, the dimensions of the Maxi-Jet 1200 are 3.25" X 3.5" X 2" which might be closer to the Accela 3SP1-1000 dimensions with dimensions of 3.5"X2"X3.25".

The MJ1200's aren't snug at all...a bit smaller than the Accela's actually. Definitely more flow, maybe not dramatic, but better for sure. If you run on the wavemaker, a single MJ1200 will not pump as much as two Accelas. It would only be a bit better than half the flow of the two stock pumps.

I ordered the Rio 6HF to use as a chiller supply pump. I found it way too noisy...and it didn't move much more water than the MJ1200.

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply
how old is your tank????

If it is cycling than the brown diatoms are a normal thing a will go away naturally...

with regards to flow to the bottom half i added a koralia nano to the tank and i placed it towards the bottom half of the tank and it points across the middle of the tank and that seems to keep the water moving...

eventually everything will get filtered to the top and in the overflow to get filtered

Actually it is mostly detritus on the sand and siphoning doesn't always clean it all up. Would stiring the sands and using a powerful canister filter do the trick? Have any one try this?

Thanks,

MyLittleGremlin

I have had my 28 gal HQI up and running for about a year and half now with three 1200 maxi jets as one goes to my chiller.

Now for the fun part....

I have chetto in my main display in a basket. Also, my tank is in front of a small but rather long window.

For some reason my flow return was lessened to the point that nothing was coming out of the return on the right side. So, after doing a water change I decided to pull my pumps out to clean. It seems the pumps were fine... so there was a blockage someplace else. With my hand down deep inside the well I felt a few strands of something so I began pulling.

Oh my goodness, I pulled and pulled and pulled. When all was said and done I had a soccor ball of compressed chetto. It had been growing down in the lower part of the well which started from small pieces of chetto not trapped by the filer.

I have had my 28 gal HQI up and running for about a year and half now with three 1200 maxi jets as one goes to my chiller.

Now for the fun part....

I have chetto in my main display in a basket. Also, my tank is in front of a small but rather long window.

For some reason my flow return was lessened to the point that nothing was coming out of the return on the right side. So, after doing a water change I decided to pull my pumps out to clean. It seems the pumps were fine... so there was a blockage someplace else. With my hand down deep inside the well I felt a few strands of something so I began pulling.

Oh my goodness, I pulled and pulled and pulled. When all was said and done I had a soccor ball of compressed chetto. It had been growing down in the lower part of the well which started from small pieces of chetto not trapped by the filer.

Wow...Never thought about that scenario. That make me want to keep the Chaeto more in the refugium than the main tank. Good lesson.

i'm running Current USA Prime Nano Chiller 1/15....happy with the chiller (it does it's job)...i can def hear the rio pump...but have nothing to compare it to....thinking about upgrading to the mj1200 as it seems like more folks are happier with it (noise level)

gothunder3022 one more question regarding your mj1200's that replaced the accellas...are u running them on the wavemaker? would love to keep that functionality.

gothunder3022
i'm running Current USA Prime Nano Chiller 1/15....happy with the chiller (it does it's job)...i can def hear the rio pump...but have nothing to compare it to....thinking about upgrading to the mj1200 as it seems like more folks are happier with it (noise level)

gothunder3022 one more question regarding your mj1200's that replaced the accellas...are u running them on the wavemaker? would love to keep that functionality.

I plan to run the same chiller, and am hoping the MJ1200 does the job. I had hoped to use the JBJ nano chiller installation kit ( j-tubes and 1/2' OD hose), but it seemed to really restrict the flow. Can you describe how you have your chiller plumbed...pipes and tubes and what not? Also, have you ever encountered the short cycling I've heard others complain of?

As for my return pumps (and flow)...I may not have the best setup, and would certainly love to hear some opinions. I run both MJ1200 return pumps through Hydor Flo Deflectors at all times (except for feeding). It's my understanding that you need to turn over the volume of your tank 10-20 times an hour for a successful reef tank (nearer 20 for the more delicate corals). Understanding that there is some head loss do to the 90 degree elbow and the Hydor Flos...I believe I'm still somewhere near the upper end of that range. The Hydor's do a pretty good job of stirring things up from middle of the display and up. Further down, in the display, I have two Koralia nanos on the outer sides of the rear wall (about 1/3 to 1/2 the way up) facing forward and slightly down. I have the nanos on a wavemaker alternating at 90 seconds each. Overkill?

Hello, just ordered my 28 HQI. Currently have th 24g deluxe version which im selling. Any recomendations on the HQI. Was wondering what a fuge is? I got the UV steralizer with it. Any thing else i need? Thanks

Hello, just ordered my 28 HQI. Currently have th 24g deluxe version which im selling. Any recomendations on the HQI. Was wondering what a fuge is? I got the UV steralizer with it. Any thing else i need? Thanks

I really don't see a need for a UV sterilizer in nano tank. If you practice proper acclimation techniques for your new livestock and check them for diseases like Ich before purchasing them, you shouldn't need a UV sterilizer..

Feedback on my project of trying to get better flow and higher filtration without adding power heads into the main tank.

I replaced the two stock Accela SP1-1000 pumps with the two Taam Rio® HyperFlow 6HF pumps. The Taam Rio® HyperFlow 6HF pumps are smaller then the stock Accela SP1-1000 pump so the fit was easy. The tubing has to change. I used and really like the BTV70F - Black, 1/2" I.D., 5/8" O.D., by http://www.aquaticeco.com. The tubing is very flexible and so does not require elbows for 90% of the turns that I made for my chiller and to my extra water jug. The tubing is almost half ruberize with form so does not cave in when bent at sharp angle. The best of all is that it can stretch to meet most connection sizes and can be plastic strapped tight to a smooth tube versus other flexible hoses that I used at Lowes or the LFS. I plastic strap both ends of the tubing to the pump and to the jet to secure it.

On my first test, I turn on ONE Taam Rio® HyperFlow 6HF pump. The flow is about 3/4 of the two Accela SP1-1000 pumps that I had in the past. Please do not flame since this is a visual observation. I like more flow and that is the purpose for this modification, so I turn BOTH Taam Rio® HyperFlow 6HF pumps on, boy was the water rushing hard onto the over flow. It created a 3-4 inch water drop in the 1st and 3rd chambers which was bad since the Skimmer could not work with that low of water level. I can see the water coming out of the jets moving and stirring more things then I had seen in the past with the two stock Accela SP1-1000 pumps. The whole tank was cloudy and I assume that this will settle?

The bad part of this was the new pumps was noisier than the stock pump quite a bit. IIt hums when it pumps. I would say it equal to a small refrigerator humming. My wife noticed the noise difference. I will see how it will go for the next few days, but the flow was great since I wanted a clean tank with lots of flow. I had to add about 1-2 gallons of water to get the level back to where the skimmer would work. In the front, the water just meet the bottom of the gray plastic rim.

Since the water was flowing so fast, it would create a current that bounces of the filter flow over and falls to the back of the filter. I wanted everything to go through the filter, so I added another sponge filter to trap any debris by stuffing it between the back glass and the filter.

One question that I have is that I added a bag of Chemi-pure Elite to the bottom of the 2nd chamber jammed to one side so that water flowing to chamber 3 has to go through it. Is that OK? Has any one done that? I just added a new bag of charcoal to the filter holder so I did not want to waste it, but I also wanted Chemi-Pure for filtering.

I hope that this helps some one out there. If anyone has a better plan to get more flow without adding power head in the main tank, please let me know. I am new, but I heard that flow is good for coral so I am looking at ways to improve the flow.

Thanks for contributing to the forum...I have learned a tons.

Additional feedback on my project of replacing the two stock Accela SP1-1000 pumps with the two Taam Rio® HyperFlow 6HF pumps.

Noise level settles down a bit, but still louder than the stock pumps. Perhaps I am de-sensitize after a day. The water clears up significantly. I am not sure if this is due to the flow improvement or the Chemi-pure Elite that I put in.

The water flow in the tank is much faster and better. I saw more detritus were being swept into the overflow especially where there was some stagnant spot in the tank before. The livestock seems more active for some reason, but I am assumed due to the improve flow? The only problem is that I saw significant drop in my copepod in the tank. Does any one know why?

I hope that this helps someone out there. I am pretty happy with this modification.

i use the JBJ nano chiller installation kit....it seems like it restricts flow a bit...but flow to the chillers is less important to me...as long as it's getting down there....i'm happy.

was thinking about adding the loc line Ball-Socket Circle Flow device in the back of the tank....this way i wouldn't have to keep the 2 nanos in the back....don't really like the way they look...thoughts?

Last feedback on my project of replacing the two stock Accela SP1-1000 pumps with the two Taam Rio® HyperFlow 6HF pumps to improve flow and filtration.

Noise level settles down a lot. Perhaps, I am use to the noise? My wife also says that the pump noise is lower, but still louder than the stock pumps.

Now for the filtration. The water is crystal clear now. Much clearer than before My wife mentioned it a few times the past three days. The visiting in-law mentioned it when they just got in so that means that the water clarity improve signficantly. I did not ask them or talk about the aquarium.

I stirred up the sand to get the detritus to suspend in the water and turkey baste the live tock yesterday which clouded the whole aquarium. It typically take about 2-4 hours to get the tank to be clear again. This time it took less than one hour. We had to add 20 lbs of live stand today which signficantly clouded the water. It typically took 1-1.5 days to clear up the water. It took about 3 hours now for the whole aquarium to clear. We then turkey baste 4 hours later to blow the sands and debris off the rocks. This time it took about 30 minutes to clear up. When I say clear, I mean crystal clear or as clear as I can ever get a tank to clear up after a few days.

One thing I wanted to mentioned is that the new pumps, pumps the water out of the back of the aquarium very fast and so water adjustment has to be very accurate to get the level in the back to be high enough for the stock skimmer to work, but not too high so that the over flow to the back will crest over the channel of the filter section into the pump area. I also stuff a secondary sponge on the back of the filter case to ensure that all water will go through some type of media.

Im considering to buy an AIO tank, and the 28g HQI is one of the AIO tanks im looking at. I basically want to have a simple tank with softies, no SPS at all. Will the 150w be overkill? I was also wondering about noise from a stock tank. Is the flow sufficient enough for zoas, mushies and other softies or do i have to upgrade the pumps if i decide to buy this one? And what about the skimmer, did most people here replace it or remove the stock skimmer?

Kamao,

the stock pumps are good for softies etc.

some folks like to add a koralia nano or Koralia 1 powerhead inside the display but you wouldnt HAVE to.

the stock HQI is not noisy in terms of the pumps. but if you decide to stick with the stock skimmer, then you will then get some noise.

The air pump that goes with the stock skimmer sounds like a airplane. Too loud.

I recently removed mine alltogether (my tank is established and in good shape) i wouldnt recommend for start ups to do away with skimmer comepletley. there are many arguments about the pros and cons of having a skimmer..

I wish that JBJ would either MAKE a better skimmer, OR.. inlcude a Tuunze or Remora or something that would fit and just increase the price of the AIO a bit.. it would make life easier on the beginning salt water hobbyist to KNOW that the skimmer would do what its suppose to. Im not COMPLETELY Knocking the stock JBJ skimmer, it just didnt work well, for ME.

otherwise this is a GREAT tank and you will love it.

Good luck.

what are you guys replacing the stock airstone with???

I can see this wood one clogging up fast...

also, can I use a different air pump? Is there a minium size i need?

I can't speak to the built in protein skimmer (I run a Tunze 9002), but I have an Aquafuge2 (medium) attached to my 28g JBJ and it was pretty easy to hook up. the medium is about the same size as the small Aquafuge w/PS. They're both a tad wider than the display which some may not like. I didn't mod the tank at all, just had to rotate the supply and return pipes (with some minor plumbing additions) to make it work. It was worth it to me as a non-sump fuge solution. I've got pods all over my tank.

Here are some pics to give you an idea.

2md11rr.jpg

fdauxl.jpg

6risyd.jpg

1088flu.jpg

i need that

do you guys take out the ceramic rings in the chamber box? I wast thinking about taking it out and putting chemipure or something esle. What do you think?

curious for the people that use chemical means like carbon and chemipure. what do you do for a reverse light cycle at night to keep ph in check? does anyone run carbon and other stuff and still have a fuge for macro algae or do you just run a light on the back at night? i am only planning on using carbon, chemipure and a sponge in my back chamber. just need a way to keep ph stable at night.

Jason

Freddybnj2004

Posted in General.. but seemed more appropriate here... Thanks.

Hey everyone, I have a JBJ 28g HQI Nano… I have the standard pumps (266 GPH each) in the return chambers… I’ve replaced the skimmer with a Tunze 9002 in the middle chamber… I’ve run two external pumps, one pulling water from the 3rd chamber to the JBJ 1/15hp chiller and it returns to the 1st chamber… the second pulls from the 3rd chamber to a series of canisters… 1st is a two – fishes phosban reactor filled ¾ with black diamond carbon, 2nd is a two – fishes phosban reactor filled half way with phosban and third is a 8 watt UV sterilizer… and then dumps back into the 1st chamber. I’ve added two Tunze Turbelle NanoStream Pumps (660GPH Each) I have 45 Lbs of live rock and 40 lbs of live sand. I perform weekly 6 gallon water changes and I use Coral pro reef salt. (I’ve switched from IO). I have a Kent 4 stage RO/DI unit that I pump my freshwater from and my Inbound TDS is around 75 and outbound is 0…. I sometimes throw in strips of polyfilter in my 1st and 3rd chambers and occasionally filter floss… now my question is, I am getting a CPR CS50 Overflow Box and the Tom aqua lifter pump for siphon... my sump which will be a 40 gallon glass tank filled about 3/4 with water, live sand and live rock will be on the floor which is about three to four feet from the top of the tank. I have a Eheim pump (1260) which pushes 600+ GPH and my Overflow is rated at 300gph... will the four feet slow down the pump enough for me to use as a return?

Archived